Sponsored

Ecoboost problem; Focus RS & white smoke.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'm wondering if the free-floating piston sleeves (they're not anchored on the top to the cylinder head) figure into this...The reason we're probably not seeing as bad of an issue as the FoRS guys is because our engines aren't pushed as hard (well, minus a tune...). The free floating sleeves are supposed to improve engine cooling at the critical TDC point ( a "normal" engine block can't cool the block that well where the piston is at Top Dead Center, because you couldn't possibly create a cooling passage that close to the cylinder wall).

OP
OP

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP
No sure ElAviator you are much more knowledgeable about engines than I am. So far at 8,200 miles I have not had any problems. I just remember a few posts where some EB mustang owners have noticed the white smoke. It may be nothing, but just something to keep an eye out for, as the article did mention differences in the engines.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars continiously since 1985. All of them exhaled more condensation at startup on cool mornings than the NA vehicles I have had. The two Ecoboost Mustangs and Focus ST are neither the worst or best in that regard.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
No sure ElAviator you are much more knowledgeable about engines than I am. So far at 8,200 miles I have not had any problems. I just remember a few posts where some EB mustang owners have noticed the white smoke. It may be nothing, but just something to keep an eye out for, as the article did mention differences in the engines.
This paragraph was at the end of the article:

Owners of other 2.3-liter EcoBoost Ford products shouldn’t worry, as the RS engine uses a different aluminum alloy in its block, cast-iron cylinder liners, and has its own head gasket design.
I believe this is related to dissimilar rates of expansion/contraction between the engine block and the head. Iron, steel and aluminum all expand and contract at different rates as temps change. This phenomenon must be accounted for if you are trying to create a seal between dissimilar metals, or you get leaks.

This issue is cropping up with RS cars having very few miles. The EB Mustang has been in production for almost four years; we would already know if this were an issue of concern.

Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I had my cylinder head replaced for this problem at 19k miles. Coolant was leaking into cylinder #2 and the dealer couldn’t find the leak. I and many friends couldn’t help but think of the RS issues when it happened to me. I’m at 21k now without any issues. There was another thread a year or so ago for someone who had their head gasket replaced as well. It’s happened to at least two counting mine on this forum but that’s nothing compared to the RS’s.

The way I see it, as long as the white smoke doesn’t smell sweet and your engine isn’t misfiring on startup, you’re fine.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I’ve also seen a few on the Ecoboost Facebook group.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Alex @ Stratified did a really good write up of this- looks like there is actually a revised cylinder head gasket to help address the isssue http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/focus-rs-head-gasket-failure-mechanism/
That validates what I surmised earlier...that the ability of the cylinder sleeves to move relative to the head is contributing to this. in the FoRS, the addressed this by accounting for greater cylinder head to sleeve movement in the revised head gasket design. I'm still wondering, though, who the genius was that thought it was good idea to put an extra hole (for a non-existant coolant passage) in a head gasket for a really hot engine :doh:

Sponsored

AntdawgsEB209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang ecoboost
Hi new to this but i experienced white smoke and the dealership couldn't duplicate the issue but see link below of what I'm talking about and
I got no response from them when i showed them my concern. Just sorry we couldn't duplicate the problem nothing wrong?? but its spotty when it happens I have had the car 2 yrs and runs great regardless and I am looking forward to new mods as they come.

[ame]

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Hi new to this but i experienced white smoke and the dealership couldn't duplicate the issue but see link below of what I'm talking about and
I got no response from them when i showed them my concern. Just sorry we couldn't duplicate the problem nothing wrong?? but its spotty when it happens I have had the car 2 yrs and runs great regardless and I am looking forward to new mods as they come.

Did it smell sweet at all?

AntdawgsEB209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was thinking maybe it was a cylinder but I don't think that's what it is I know what you're talking about with a sweet smell. I know when it starts to act up because I start getting a smell coming from my vents like exhaust fumes almost a burning smell when I have my heater on in the morning it all depends on when it happens to doesn't if that makes sense

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Yeah I was thinking maybe it was a cylinder but I don't think that's what it is I know what you're talking about with a sweet smell. I know when it starts to act up because I start getting a smell coming from my vents like exhaust fumes almost a burning smell when I have my heater on in the morning it all depends on when it happens to doesn't if that makes sense
I think I have this happening as well. Reason being is that it goes away after about a 5 minutes of driving. I have never smoked since I got it 6/15 until about the last couple months.

Noticed on cooler mornings I go to Work park at like 7:30am then out for lunch around 12-1:30pm. Start it up at 4:00 and it would smoke seems like slightly less smoke under thottle than yours but not by much. It has happened like 3-4 times in the last 2-3months. Trying to setup a rental and to dealer.

AntdawgsEB209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if Ford can't duplicate what's going on they'll just charge you and tell you there's nothing wrong but honestly the day before did you drive it hard. I noticed if I drove it hard the following day I start smoking a little but I maintain the car and everything's maintained I got a timing chain leak which I guess it's pretty common they told me it's normal which I find so hard to believe aren't seals supposed to seal. But it is what it is I'm not having any performance issues. Just baffled on what it could be maybe a catch can will help but it doesn't happen enough for me to justify getting one just yet
Sponsored