PP Strut Tower Brace kit + Cowl Extension + Lower K Brace Install Guide

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I decided to make a thread instead of just adding it as a post to the existing...2 or more threads, so it might be easier to for people to find.

I just did the install today so everything is fresh in my mind.

The purpose of this post is to tell you the appropriate part numbers, quantity, and how to install the Ford Racing strut tower brace kit, the OEM cowl extension panel, and the lower K brace. These parts are standard on Mustang GT Performance Pack cars, but for the rest of us peons, we have to add them after the fact.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
parts.jpg

And, to remove the windshield wipers, a windshield wiper arm puller tool, $13 at advanced auto or any flavor of the month auto store. You may not need it, but I did.

PART 1: INSTALLING THE STRUT TOWER BRACE KIT AND EXTENSION PANEL

The first thing to do here is follow the directions that came with the kit, or, use American Muscle's instructions, which I found to be better. If you are following AM's instructions, do everything they say up until step 6.

Now you should have the plastic brace off and your cowl should be loose, but still held in place by windshield wipers....

1. Remove the wiper arms. They are secured by a 15mm bolt under a rubber cap, if it doesn't just pop off, use the puller tool.

2. Look at your extension panel to see how it fits. This photo shows the orientation it will install at, with the bottom of the image facing towards the front of the car.
cowl extension.JPG

3. While holding the cowl up (they are sealed to the windshield so it won't come off completely) with a piece of something, angle the cowl extension piece into place and secure it. There are 3 holes in the firewall behind the wiper motor arms that indicate where the threaded holes of the cowl extension panel should align. They go underneath the lip of the firewall and there's a tab that holds it in place. It makes more sense when you are actually doing it, trust me.

This shows how it should fit:
extension fit.jpg

4. Now, take your 3 cowl panel bolts, which are identical to the 4 bolts you already removed to take out the plastic cowl brace, and install them into the BACK SIDE of the cowl extension panel. DO NOT install anything on the front side yet. Torque to 26 ft/lbs
extensionbolts.jpg

You can see in this image where the bolts should go (circled)
extension fit2.jpg

And another angle with them secured, and my 2x4" piece that I used to hold the cowl up.
extension fit3.JPG

Now, continue where you left off on American Muscle's STB install instructions (step 6), and reinstall your windshield wipers.

Part 1 is done!
Engine After.JPG

PART 2: GT PP LOWER K BRACE AND INSULATOR PANEL

1. Jack up the front of your car and chock the rear wheels (etc etc).

This is what you will see:
stock insulator.JPG

That ribbed plastic piece is the 'insulator' that the non-PP cars have. There are 6 small bolts holding it on, remove them all and pop the insulator out.

This is the GT PP lower K brace, it is oriented in the way it will install (bottom of image towards the front of the car)
cross member.JPG

2. Take 4 of the small bolts your just removed from the other insulator, and secure your new insulator onto the K brace, note how the pieces fit together in the image below. In this pic, it's flipped upside down to show the bolts. The flap that you see is actually going to be on the right (driver's) side when you install it.
cross member and insulator.JPG

3. Take your cocktail of parts and hoist them into position, there will be 6 obvious threaded holes that you probably noticed upon removing your original insulator. If you were thinking these are the holes that you need to install the 6 lower cross member bolts (pictured below), then you'd be right.
cross member bolts.jpg

Install the 6 bolts and torque to 41 ft/lb.

Reinstall 2 of your 3 remaining insulator bolts (small ones) to the front holes that secure the insulator to the large plastic splash shield (Square indentations).

Now take your 1 extra small bolt that you had to order (you can see that I ordered 2 too many):
insulator bolts.jpg

Install it to hold up the oil filter access panel (it's obvious)

Finished product:
complete.JPG

Remove jack stands, lower the car, etc etc. Drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up! Do you like the results?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Exactly the instructions that I needed, waiting to install these parts this weekend or next! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

On the lower K, I believe that those 2 extra screws that you ordered go onto the front part of the "isolator". Obviously, I haven't done it myself...just had a quick look under the car. I might be wrong thou.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
So other than the springs/shocks/struts/sways/radiator is there anything else that makes the PP?

I've already got the STB+cowl to install so I might as well grab the extension panel to do at the same time...

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
So other than the springs/shocks/struts/sways/radiator is there anything else that makes the PP?

I've already got the STB+cowl to install so I might as well grab the extension panel to do at the same time...
Brakes, console gauges, wheels, and some other small items I believe.

Reactions: CJB

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up. I need to check my 20" factory wheel car tomorrow to see if it has the lower K brace, they do come with the upper.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Nice write up! Do you like the results?
Thanks, with all of the confusion regarding the part numbers and differences between the cowl extension and cowl brace I figured this might help others out. I actually haven’t had a chance for any spirited driving yet, I did this while I was sick and off from work, haha. Soon though!

Exactly the instructions that I needed, waiting to install these parts this weekend or next! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

On the lower K, I believe that those 2 extra screws that you ordered go onto the front part of the "isolator". Obviously, I haven't done it myself...just had a quick look under the car. I might be wrong thou.
No problem! The insulator actually has 6 screws in it to start - 2 in front, 2 on the sides, and 2 in the back. The GT PP one reuses all 6 of those - 4 secure the insulator to K brace and the 2 front ones go in the same square holes as before (forgot to mention this part, I’ll edit the OP) but you need one additional one to secure the oil filter access panel, so 7 total.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up. I need to check my 20" factory wheel car tomorrow to see if it has the lower K brace, they do come with the upper.
It'd be worth pulling your cowl panel up a bit to check and make sure you have the firewall connector too. Once I added that (already had the upper and lower K braces, strut tower bar), there was a surprising but noticeable improvement in composure and ride. I would expect that you do not have the lower K brace.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
With my vert, it came with the upper braces and strut bar. However, I believe it did not come with the lower K brace as it is not a PP car.

I put a Steeda bar on underneath which I believe helps. I am wondering if the lower K brace would conflict, or actually help?

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

CVCashmere

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
With my vert, it came with the upper braces and strut bar. However, I believe it did not come with the lower K brace as it is not a PP car.

I put a Steeda bar on underneath which I believe helps. I am wondering if the lower K brace would conflict, or actually help?

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

CVCashmere
They are separate and are in different parts of the car. If it's on the PP it's there for a reason :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Aladdin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT premium A10 401 black
Upper and lower braces with 20 inch factory wheels

Brakes, console gauges, wheels, and some other small items I believe.
Even if your GT was not a PP the upper and lower K braces were installed if the factory 20 inch wheels were specified.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked, I do have the lower K brace, as well as the upper (which I already knew) on my 20" wheel factory car.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It'd be worth pulling your cowl panel up a bit to check and make sure you have the firewall connector too. Once I added that (already had the upper and lower K braces, strut tower bar), there was a surprising but noticeable improvement in composure and ride. I would expect that you do not have the lower K brace.
I'll check that out tomorrow. Hopefully it's there. Is that it in the 2nd photo in the original post?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll check that out tomorrow. Hopefully it's there. Is that it in the 2nd photo in the original post?
Yes 2nd and 3rd pics. You probably do have it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Just to add to the original post (great job BTW) - for those not installing the Strut Tower Brace (V6 owners come to mind - as it won't fit without spacers) you'll need (4) nuts to retain the K braces onto each strut tower:

W712334-S440

I just caught a deal on the K brace (which is normally $100 before shipping) and getting ready to order the extension panel, more cowl bolts and the retaining nuts I listed above.
Sponsored