www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hello guys.
Coming from a Challenger SP16 where aerodynamics wasn't the "big thing "to do,
I bought a GT 18 PP with supercharger.

I'm definitely ok with the power but the reason why I bought this car is cause I do track day (ONLY ROAD COURSE) often. THAT'S THE REASON WHY GOT MY MUSTANG! ( not the only one actually :) )

So here is the question.
What are the best after market "aero gadget to install in a GT18 PP (NO MAGNARIDE) ?
I MEAN WITH REAL DOWNFORCE FUNCTION.

IMO the focus should be on:
1.better front splitter
2.air dams under for better air flow ( away from the front tires and canalize air on the diffuser
3.side skirts.
4. flat floor
5. diffuser
6. rear WING or SPOILER

I have 3 months to improve m Knowledge of this car and where to buy after market things.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS and advice.

thanks
Fly

Ps. i'm italian ,sorry for my english :)
Sponsored

Scurd Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Depends on what you really want to do really. Road course track, maybe a front splitter but I think there isn't any company coming out with a splitter for the 18. Maybe a GT250 APR Wing? I think that would fit. I have one and it helped to stable my rear end dramatically. And its also adjustable. Which you can adjust to the condition of the track.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Have you ever been on a road course before? From personal experience, I'd work on driver mod before going in to things like aero. What is the point of spending all that money and effort if you can't drive the car?

The PP is a pretty nice package to start with. Haven't driven an 18 yet but my 16 is much better on the track with some basic suspension upgrades.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Darkesthour is right. Feel the car out first. If you still feel the need to modify the aero, start with a front splitter then work your way back. My testing at high speeds reveals that the 15-17GTPP rear downforce is actually very good, but the front gets a bit dodgy at about 110+.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Tires and driver mod - its a safe bet that the car is more capable than the driver.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll echo the above. Get time on the car and then add some grippier tires once you've gotten a handful of track days under your belt. The car is more capable than 99.9% of the drivers that hop in it.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Speaking specifically to aero bits, the car needs more aero downforce for turns faster than 60mph. At high speeds, the car's aero balance shifts forward. A large spoiler or wing helps restore the balance. A large spoiler will help.

If you go to tracks that have some really fast turns, then you will want a wing. Either the GT350R wing, or a true wing.

Either one will block some rear vision for your daily drive. Some guys buy a second trunk lid and then swap it out just for track days.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Driver Mod, Brake Pads, Tires and more driver mod. A rear spoiler would not be my first mod. Front end downforce first.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
This is great.
Thanks for all your replies.
I did many track days in the last 5 years between Cali and Italy. Never with a GT tho.

First thing I'll do is bigger wheels for bigger tires. I like to run 305 mm all around (maybe 315 in the back) no doubts that this is the most important thing to do. I'm ordering APEX wheels(24lbs weight) 19x11

I'll leave suspensions upgrade for later. As someone said, I like to "feel" my car first and then act in case I need it.
Chassis is already reinforced with PP so I should be ok with sway bars and k brace.
IMO
Suspensions are great for lower speed turns. I was looking for aero for high speed cornering(>80mph)

The aero of a Gt PP is quite good but I believe that better under floor flow will increase the overall downforce.
I'm a big fan of a flat floor. Makes totally sense to me especially with good diffuser on the back.
Air dams, canards are nice objects(probably not really effective for this kind of WEnd track day car) but not adding a huge difference
What I can't find are numbers. I didn't find any data on how much that particular splitter will add. Same for the rear spoiler or wing

In the pp2 We know front splitter will add
24lbs(at 80mph) ,I'd like to have this info also for other after markets stuff.

I really like this. All of you are adding some info. Thank you. Please keep going !

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
It sounds like at this point it may be more beneficial for you to get work on all the various cooling aspects of the car to ensure you don't overheat on track. In completely stock form (power wise), I'm pushing the limits of the factory PP cooling system. With the addition of the blower and more power, I would venture to say you will most likely run into heat issues on track depending on how hard you drive it. Sounds like you have some experience.

After getting the car in reliable form and you get some good seat time in the car, then... you can focus on whether or not it needs aero.

The only thing I felt was slightly lacking was front end downforce as was already stated above so I added a front splitter. Aside from that, I don't feel like the car needs much else than that... at least for the tracks I frequent. It is a highly capable car.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like at this point it may be more beneficial for you to get work on all the various cooling aspects of the car to ensure you don't overheat on track. In completely stock form (power wise), I'm pushing the limits of the factory PP cooling system. With the addition of the blower and more power, I would venture to say you will most likely run into heat issues on track depending on how hard you drive it. Sounds like you have some experience.

After getting the car in reliable form and you get some good seat time in the car, then... you can focus on whether or not it needs aero.

The only thing I felt was slightly lacking was front end downforce as was already stated above so I added a front splitter. Aside from that, I don't feel like the car needs much else than that... at least for the tracks I frequent. It is a highly capable car.
Very good call.
I'm considering to upgrade the radiator with a bigger and thicker one. Mistimoto radiator claims to provide 77% more cooling capacity over the GT PP radiator and 129% more than the base GT radiator. Also maybe different hood dissipators? Once again this will be a working in progress BUT i love this conversations.
All good points.
The splitter makes sense. I agree. Probably if i have to oick one thing to do it will be the first thing in terms of aero .
Thabks for the feedback

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I like how everyone automatically recommends a driver mod. Wow. Guy asked specific questions about aero stuff and four out of the first five comments have zero to do with his question. Driver mod, driver mod, driver mod.

I just found the input interesting albeit unrelated to his very specific questions.

On topic, I have no clue what would work best for you.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I'm agree about the drivemod. No doubts. But probably due to my previous heavy and big challenger experience, I like the idea to know how to "stick" better to the ground this car at higher speed.
Sponsored