Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, so maybe I’m just a NDMF, but here’s a question for everyone with an 18GT Manual.

Do ANY of you suffer from lock out at higher RPM’s like we used too on the 11-14 GT’s?

3/4 times when shifting into 4th from 3rd, it will lock out, and red line. If you immediately pull it out of gear and put it back in, it goes in smooth and you can continue the pull...after a second of lost time due to the lockout.

I ONLY experience this going into 4th gear, and I’ve tried granny shifting (no lock out), quick shifting (rarely lock out), and no lifting ( nearly locks up EVRRY TIME).

I’ve recorded inside the car and watching frame by frame it’s not a miss shift, so I’m at a loss ����*♂.

Car is BONE stock despite what the signature says) I’ll be ordering an MGW in a week or two, and a clutch line, but just unaware if this new twin-disk suffers from the same shit that the old MT-82 suffered from.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Alright, so maybe I’m just a NDMF, but here’s a question for everyone with an 18GT Manual.

Do ANY of you suffer from lock out at higher RPM’s like we used too on the 11-14 GT’s?

3/4 times when shifting into 4th from 3rd, it will lock out, and red line. If you immediately pull it out of gear and put it back in, it goes in smooth and you can continue the pull...after a second of lost time due to the lockout.

I ONLY experience this going into 4th gear, and I’ve tried granny shifting (no lock out), quick shifting (rarely lock out), and no lifting ( nearly locks up EVRRY TIME).

I’ve recorded inside the car and watching frame by frame it’s not a miss shift, so I’m at a loss ����*♂.

Car is BONE stock despite what the signature says) I’ll be ordering an MGW in a week or two, and a clutch line, but just unaware if this new twin-disk suffers from the same shit that the old MT-82 suffered from.
Common issue in the 15-18's.
Cheapest fix which takes care of it most the time... https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mt-82-transmission-mount-bushing-insert-2011-2015-555-4037.html

99% fix - although is doesnt list the 18 - https://lmr.com/item/SSB-15-000/mus...erm=4585100927955546&utm_content=All Products

Couple either of those with a MGW and your golden. Problem is the shifter is attached to the tunnel and as the trans flex's under hard acceleration the shifter doesn't move and causes bind....lockout.

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Common issue in the 15-18's.
Cheapest fix which takes care of it most the time... https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mt-82-transmission-mount-bushing-insert-2011-2015-555-4037.html

99% fix - although is doesnt list the 18 - https://lmr.com/item/SSB-15-000/mus...erm=4585100927955546&utm_content=All Products

Couple either of those with a MGW and your golden. Problem is the shifter is attached to the tunnel and as the trans flex's under hard acceleration the shifter doesn't move and causes bind....lockout.
My biggest thing with this being, I had an MGW in my 13 and suffered the SAME lockout, it seems to be the clutch to me, but I can’t imagine that the stock clutch is locking me out on a stock car...

The 13 had an MGW / RST and STILL locked out in 4th (it did have significantly more power however).

Idk, it will be getting an MGW, I just don’t have high hopes that it will fully solve the issue.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
When I had the MT82 I did the bushing insert and MGW and it eliminated all lockout. I almost always had it from 3rd to 4th shift at WOT and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd.

Karrottop009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6SPD
In the attached images, 2 of my 3 attempts to shift into 4th from 7500rpm 3rd fail, but in an odd way. Best description is that 4th gear turns into neutral, no grinds or "hard walls". I slap the console trim with the shifter like there's nothing there. Typically, I have to let off the throttle and put the shifter back into 4th to engage the gear.

Is this what you consider "lockout", or something different? I've always thought "lockout" meant the synchro physically won't let you shift and would feel like a rock wall.

I have the Steeda trans mount bushing and Steeda shifter bushing so far. My brother is going to try the Blowfish bracket on his 2019 (ships today).
2018 Mustang GT Missed 4th Event 1.png
2018 Mustang GT Missed 4th Event 2.png
2018 Mustang GT Successful 4th Event 1.png

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
In the attached images, 2 of my 3 attempts to shift into 4th from 7500rpm 3rd fail, but in an odd way. Best description is that 4th gear turns into neutral, no grinds or "hard walls". I slap the console trim with the shifter like there's nothing there. Typically, I have to let off the throttle and put the shifter back into 4th to engage the gear.

Is this what you consider "lockout", or something different? I've always thought "lockout" meant the synchro physically won't let you shift and would feel like a rock wall.

I have the Steeda trans mount bushing and Steeda shifter bushing so far. My brother is going to try the Blowfish bracket on his 2019 (ships today).
2018 Mustang GT Missed 4th Event 1.png
2018 Mustang GT Missed 4th Event 2.png
2018 Mustang GT Successful 4th Event 1.png
This is definitely not the lockout most people are referring to. This sounds like your clutch never let you engage the next gear (I think if it was synchros, you'd hear gear grinding).

Do you still have the stock clutch? Also an MGW would probably be a more efficient solution than all three of the trans mount bushing, the shifter bushing, and the blowfish bracket.

I used to have the lockout most people refer to (hitting a wall when shifting); got an MGW and it went away.

Karrottop009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6SPD
I am still on stock twin disk clutch. My brother and I think a trans mounted shifter would be the solution. He's trying the Blowfish, and I am eventually going to install the MGW. It just bewilders me that I can move the gearshift so freely in these moments without any grinding. Figured I'd post about it to see if anyone else has experienced this. Certainly hasn't happened in any other manual I've owned. Hell, my old 1996 Probe GT shifted at 7800 better than this...

eatacow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Have the same issue as OP on a 19' GT PP2. Shifter definitely feels like it is in 4th but car acts like it is in neutral. Happens only when shifting at redline, I have not reproduced when I shift 500-1000 rpm below redline.

RGV250F3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Lightning Blue , 1983 GT5.0, 1974 Camaro Mighty Mouse 415c.i.SB
I had the same problem in my low mileage stock 2017 GTPP, shifting at redline 2-3, and 3-4th, I would get occasional lock out. I installed a Barton Hybrid 3, and have never missed a high rpm shift since..

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Funny this thread popped up and you guys are talking about the 11-14s. I've been trying to cure the high rpm lock out as well. The bushing insert is the ticket eh? I'll have to look at buying one.

Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had the same problem in my low mileage stock 2017 GTPP, shifting at redline 2-3, and 3-4th, I would get occasional lock out. I installed a Barton Hybrid 3, and have never missed a high rpm shift since..
I also have a Barton 2 post bracket and have been very happy with it. It fixes the alignment issues between the body mounted shifter and the transmission in almost all cases. Yes, a full blown trans mounted MGW or Barton shifter would do better, but the bracket is much cheaper and a shorter install.

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
I have a 19 gt pp1 and I get lockout from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I got the MGW and it made it a little better but I still get locked out. I'm 99% sure it is not me mistiming the shift.

Karrottop009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6SPD
Been a while since I made my last post. My brother lemon law'd his car over his transmission. My 2nd gear started hard locking out. Rather than deal with shit warranty service for life of the car, I bit the bullet and went with a Tremec Magnum XL. 8,000 miles later and this thing still shifts like butter....

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I have a 19 gt pp1 and I get lockout from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I got the MGW and it made it a little better but I still get locked out. I'm 99% sure it is not me mistiming the shift.
It's fairly common knowledge nowadays that if you're getting high rpm lockout it's not the trans or the shifter, it's the clutch. Got a mantic cerametalic going in my 19 this weekend along with a new mt82 that I bought as a spare cause I know I'm gonna have to pull the trans again sometime in the future

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It's fairly common knowledge nowadays that if you're getting high rpm lockout it's not the trans or the shifter, it's the clutch. Got a mantic cerametalic going in my 19 this weekend along with a new mt82 that I bought as a spare cause I know I'm gonna have to pull the trans again sometime in the future
How much power can the Mantic cerametalic handle? Is it a twin disc? There is a member on his that has gone through at least one, maybe two Mantics in a very short amount of time. Is your replacement MT82 enhanced or factory?
Sponsored