Water spots... Dammit!!

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Washed the car yesterday after a drive. It was done under cloud cover. After drying I noticed significant spots from my hard water. I did not dry the car fast enough as I was to busy chatting it up with my daughter who stopped by. Also, the hood probably was still warm which added to the water drying quicker than normal. I tried wax with some luck, but at the right viewing angle, the paint looked like it had small craters. I mixed 50/50 white vinegar and distilled water and the paint is back to normal. I used a spray bottle, let it sit for 1 minute and wiped with a waffle cloth then a micro fiber cloth.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Boy you east coast guys are sensitive, nothing permanent, just spent more time massaging your baby.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I have really hard water at my house, in part because I'm on a well. I keep 4 or 5 gallons of water in my garage from our reverse osmosis filter, and I use that water exclusively to rinse off my car after I wash it. Works like a charm... No water spots, ever.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
A little cleaner wax will fix it.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
I have really hard water at my house, in part because I'm on a well. I keep 4 or 5 gallons of water in my garage from our reverse osmosis filter, and I use that water exclusively to rinse off my car after I wash it. Works like a charm... No water spots, ever.
My plan is to save the water from my dehumidifier this summer which is distilled and use that during my rinse.

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I use Adams Polishes products. Specifically guard and gloss when drying = no water spots ever....

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Get some detail spray, and next time mist it on the car after rinsing, then dry with a waffle weave or other drying towel.
That is exactly what I did and it did not work.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Washed the car yesterday after a drive. It was done under cloud cover. After drying I noticed significant spots from my hard water. I did not dry the car fast enough as I was to busy chatting it up with my daughter who stopped by. Also, the hood probably was still warm which added to the water drying quicker than normal. I tried wax with some luck, but at the right viewing angle, the paint looked like it had small craters. I mixed 50/50 white vinegar and distilled water and the paint is back to normal. I used a spray bottle, let it sit for 1 minute and wiped with a waffle cloth then a micro fiber cloth.
Vinegar and water is a trick I learned from boating. I have a Red boat and it works like a charm, better than any detail spray i tried on them. I havent tried it on the cars though. I dry with an electric leaf blower and then hit any spots after with quick detailer.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Vinegar and water is a trick I learned from boating. I have a Red boat and it works like a charm, better than any detail spray i tried on them. I havent tried it on the cars though. I dry with an electric leaf blower and then hit any spots after with quick detailer.
I'd advise against the vinegar because it's very acidic. Not sure how car clear coat would fair against it. Mequiars has a water spot remover product.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd advise against the vinegar because it's very acidic. Not sure how car clear coat would fair against it. Mequiars has a water spot remover product.
I would tend to agree...that's why I have not tried it on the car yet. Typically the trick it to dry it well enough to never have spots. I'm coming from a white 04 Cobra so I'm learning fast that Lightning Blue is not as easy to keep clean.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
By mixing 50/50, the acidic nature is less of a concern, but I would agree this is not the preferred method. The car has a good wax coat which should protect the clear coat. I will more diligent in the future and dry the car quicker.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
By mixing 50/50, the acidic nature is less of a concern, but I would agree this is not the preferred method. The car has a good wax coat which should protect the clear coat. I will more diligent in the future and dry the car quicker.
I know you said you got distracted bythis time...but do you use the leaf blower method? I got enough electric leaf blower from a family member, and I cut down the tube with a hack saw. It works great. It also blows all the water out of the mirror and decklid. It hits all the areas that you find water spots after a short drive.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
I would tend to agree...that's why I have not tried it on the car yet. Typically the trick it to dry it well enough to never have spots. I'm coming from a white 04 Cobra so I'm learning fast that Lightning Blue is not as easy to keep clean.
Ya should have bought a Black one ....!!!:D:D. I Ceramic Coated my car with CQuartz UK ! and I don't have hard water. I wash in the shade then the final rinse is directly from the hose without the nozzle !! 90% of the water repels from the car and I simply use a couple of microfibre cloths to wipe up the water drops left over! I also have bottle of drinking water and micro fibre cloth in the trunk for the casual bird poop issues that seem to target Black cars !! lol wet cloth, let sit for a minute or more....then wipe off using very little pressure!

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited: