Sponsored

GT350R vs. ZL1 on Everyday Driver on Velocity

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Good episode, I thought they gave a very fair/honest review (as always). Though these two cars are not built for quite the same purpose or person, it was still an interesting comparison. Yes, a GT350 vs ZL1 would have been a better matchup, but the outcome would likely have been the same.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
They should have matched an R against a ZL1 1LE. I wonder how that would have influenced the review.

I'd pick an R over a standard zl1 any day. Zl1 1le might be a tougher choice

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
They should have matched an R against a ZL1 1LE. I wonder how that would have influenced the review.

I'd pick an R over a standard zl1 any day. Zl1 1le might be a tougher choice
Pretty certain these two would still have picked the R just by the critique of the R's ride.

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Pretty certain these two would still have picked the R just by the critique of the R's ride.
Agreed - the 1LE package would not have added anything they would have found valuable in normal driving, other than the M6 and, perhaps a bit more badassedness.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Just saw this episode on my DVR. As mentioned it felt like a fair and unbiased review. The R gets so much rave reviews that I feel fortunate to have one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 comes with a tow hook. It's in the trunk and you simply thread it into place up front when or if you need to.
Does it come with a fancy red one, like the kind folks here add? My Porsche came with one, but it is just a simple eyebolt.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Just watched from my DVR as well. I enjoy this show, I feel its target audience is more in-line with drivers like me. I'm not a hard core track junkie, so ultimate track test numbers aren't what mean the most to me. Real world driving fun is what matters and that's what these two guys are all about.

Their first review of the base GT350 vs. the Boss 302 was a key factor in my decision to buy this car. If I didn't own one already, this new video would surely influence me in the same way.

This is now the 3rd video review win against the Zl1; with MotorTrend, KellyBlueBook and now Everyday Driver all picking the GT350R over the Zl1. :first:

All I've got to say is that Deep Impact Blue GT350R looked and sounded great! :thumbsup:

Makes me want to go drive my car! :ford:

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Just finished watching the vid for the 2nd time today. Makes me want to take the cover off, disconnect the trickle charger, and drive my salted roads. The R looked and sounded amazing. Every time they reviewed the ZL1 I found myself thinking “Go on already! I want to see you guys pan back to the R and ride that throttle!”

catdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White/Blue Stripes
Had Both, kept 1...

I had a 2017 ZL1 loaded M6 I got in May and a 2017 GT350 I got in March...

Had them both concurrently for 5 months...

ZL1 felt more planted, more in control, engine more torquey BUT...

Every time I drove the GT350, I felt happy and looked back at car after parking it, the engine sound and power delivery was and still is out of this world... handling also is very special and in the end traded in the ZL1 for a flat 6 and kept the GT350 and don't regret decision a bit

The GT350 is the keeper, ironic since ZL1 has all the right numbers and hardware but lacks the soul of the GT350; driving the GT350 with its screaming soundtrack reminds me of Can-Am naturally aspirated racers from the late 60's-early70's... just crazy unhinged...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...driving the GT350 with its screaming soundtrack reminds me of Can-Am naturally aspirated racers from the late 60's-early70's... just crazy unhinged...
Speaking of the Can Am, awesome book on the subject - highly recommended - I already read it twice.
Canam.JPG

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413

Every time I drove the GT350, I felt happy and looked back at car after parking it, the engine sound and power delivery was and still is out of this world... handling also is very special and in the end traded in the ZL1 for a flat 6 and kept the GT350 and don't regret decision a bit

The GT350 is the keeper, ironic since ZL1 has all the right numbers and hardware but lacks the soul of the GT350; driving the GT350 with its screaming soundtrack reminds me of Can-Am naturally aspirated racers from the late 60's-early70's... just crazy unhinged...
When GM announced the 1LE. package for the ZL1 I went to my local Chevy dealer. I sat down with a salesman, asked if they where charging any ADM , he said "we will do an MSRP deal. They didn't have a ZL1 in the showroom but I have seen them in person before. I sat and worked some numbers out with the salesman.

I told him I'd go home and think about it. When I got home and gave it some thought, the ZL1 1LE just didn't make my heart beat fast enough, the thought of owning one didn't excite me as much as owning a 350 did.

I've seen a 350 in person (parked at a carshow) and I've heard them as they drive past in the distance. I remember being at my buddy's house and hearing the roar of the voodoo engine a couple of blocks away. I dropped what I had in my hands and whispered to myself "that's got to be a 350 with a voodoo"

I'll never forget that memory. I threw the paperwork from the Chevy dealer away and I've been searching for a 350R ever since.

I like the way you present it, the ZL1 lacks the soul and character of the 350.

Plus in my case, I alreasdy have a supercharged monster with my Hellcat now I'd like a roadcourse weapon

The Hellcat will be my led pipe (brute force) and the 350R will be my samuray sword (precission weapon)

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!

A GT350 + a flat-6 991.... perfection. :clap2:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
What a concept.

Crying shame the GT350 didn't come with a setup like this. Especially when certain export only S550 cars do. Ford really needs to get their ass in gear.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Finally!!!! I get to watch ; ) EDIT: DAMIT!!!! Got click bate lol
[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited: