Sponsored

GT Performance Package Actual

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Some things about the Performance Package are self evident. Below, you'll see the PP list and the questionable upgrades. If anyone knows EXACT SPECS please answer. I have searched this forum and the internets to no avail.

• 19" X 9" (F) 19” X 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs What makes these Heavy-Duty?
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator How much larger?
• Spoiler Delete
• Strut-tower Brace
• Unique Chassis Tuning What is unique about the tuning?
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar How much is it upsized?
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning What is unique about it?
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio

I absolutely love my GT PP and am just very curious as to what these differences are. I am sure someone on here much smarter than I will know.

While I appreciate any responses, I am looking for objective/ empirical/ actual data please. Not descriptions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Springs have higher rate to provide firmer ride.
Radiator is about 20% larger? For better during sprinted driving.
Chassis tuning uses strut brace for better front end rigidity.
Electronics would allow more body movement and such for a more exciting ride I guess.
A lot of these upgrades are not specific more like a feel of a thing. Why is being SPECIFIC spec important to you?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
1. Higher rate/heavier springs.
2. Dunno....bigger, better for cooling under heavy use.
3. Front springs, shocks, sway-bars, for better handling.
4. Dunno, a few MMers. It does make a difference.
5. Raised thresholds for the intervention of the stability and traction control. They allow more body movement and wheel-spin.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
All I know is I have gotten mine sideways without any of he nannies kicking in.

OP
OP
scrubber3

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Springs have higher rate to provide firmer ride.
Radiator is about 20% larger? For better during sprinted driving.
Chassis tuning uses strut brace for better front end rigidity.
Electronics would allow more body movement and such for a more exciting ride I guess.
A lot of these upgrades are not specific more like a feel of a thing. Why is being SPECIFIC spec important to you?
I am a man of specifics. It matters greatly to me. Call it reasonable engineering. :shrug:

Sponsored

OP
OP
scrubber3

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the replys gentlemen. Hopefully someone will chime in with some empirical data.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The only thing that matters is the VALUE of the package on an equipped car. Price the PP package add-on which is about $2600 when you buy the car. Price adding the Brembo brakes, larger radiator, and a Torsen to a non-PP car. Welp... makes the PP car worth it.

Enough said.

But I'll say more.

The PP car has different damper valving (firmer), slightly higher rate springs (the rates for which are posted in a thread all about spring rates), it comes with unique staggered wheels and the most (widest) tire of all available S550 Mustangs. It comes with exceedingly impressive (to me) front Brembo brake calipers and a different underbelly and front upper control arm that helps guide air to the brakes to keep them cool (and it works). It comes with a significantly larger radiator (the exact numbers can be acquired from Mishimoto) which, even on 80* 20-min. session track days leaves my car well within acceptable cooling ranges. You also get a 3.73 Torsen (a mechanical limited slip) differential (the Torsen part being a crucial value, the 3.73s are debatable for some). The rear IRS is supposed to include an inner bearing on the toe arm instead of a bushing on the non-PP cars, though I have yet to see a non-PP car have a bushing at the inner toe arm mounting point. The sway bars are larger and I have put PP sway bars on a non-PP car and there is a mild perceptible improvement in body role if the twisty back road we used to to the A / B comparison is telling enough. Nevermind about electronic differences, the PP package hardware advances the Mustang from a grand touring car to a capable road course car, as-is. It's worth paying for JUST for the brake package, radiator, and Torsen rear end.

The information you seek is available on this forum. You will find again and again the PP package is worth it.

That said... the Camaro SS 1LE (the top Camaro suspension package) is far superior (and more expensive).

Last edited:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
The only thing that matters is the VALUE of the package on an equipped car. Price the PP package add-on which is about $2600 when you buy the car. Price just the Brembo brakes and larger radiator added to a non-PP car. Welp... makes the PP car worth it.

Enough said.
We don't have the choice in Aus as our cars come "fully loaded" and very close to US premium/performance spec but [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION] pretty much sums it up for me. You might want to change wheels and suspension but those are relatively cheap and easy to come by upgrades. Those brembos on the other hand...

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Spring rates:

Front/Rear

GT: 160 / 668
GT PP: 165/728

Struts/shocks are valved differently as well as being different units to match the heavier springs.

From this thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44925

I can't recall ever seeing anyone saying they regretted buying it. For me, the value is unquestionable, the brakes and T2R alone are worth the cost, everything else is just gravy. But whatever floats your boat.

Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I have the PP and I wouldn't buy a Mustang without it. If you are the type of owner who will mod the car significantly, to include installing better brakes, then it probably isn't worth it. But if you are planning to keep it stock, or just mild mods like a tune and cat back, the the PP is a bargain, even if only for the brakes. I hate my wheels, they are hard to clean, but you can also sell them for an easy grand or more if that's a sticking point.

And IIRC the invoice price on the PP is only like $2100, so consider that when negotiating price. I used USAA/TruCar pricing and that's the number they used to arrive at their pricing.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
:lol:
1. Higher rate/heavier springs.
2. Dunno....bigger, better for cooling under heavy use.
3. Front springs, shocks, sway-bars, for better handling.
4. Dunno, a few MMers. It does make a difference.
5. Raised thresholds for the intervention of the stability and traction control. They allow more body movement and wheel-spin.
its interesting that even the bigger cooler doesnt help prevent cylinder 8 failures

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Always wondered why they didn't put the brake cooling underbody on the GT as well. Is that an easy swap if you can even buy the part?

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
That said... the Camaro SS 1LE (the top Camaro suspension package) is far superior (and more expensive).
Some very quick searching this morning; the Camaro 1LE by some publications was rated between 0.97 g and 1.0 g of lateral grip. The 2017 Mustang GT PP was near this with a reported 0.98 g of lateral grip. Of course, this is independent publications so conditions are certainly never the exact same. On paper, these are "close" in performance with the variability probably more to do with drivers and conditions. Camaro has wider tires, probably better shock setup (Magnetic ride) but also weighs a little more.

I just spent a week in a rental 2017 SS. It was a very good car. The lines between Mustang and Camaro continue to get blurred.

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yeah, those Multimatic DSSV shocks are crazy awesome and wicked expensive. They're practically infinitely tunable and certain variations of them are used on some of the coolest applications (several LMP2 and LMP1 cars in the WEC/WSCC, the Ford GT, Red Bull F1). It's a shame we don't get that option at least on the Shelby given Ford's relationship with Multimatic.

Edit: those shocks are actually on the ZL1 1LE. The SS 1LE gets magnetic ride control (so the same as the Shelby)
Sponsored