jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
FRPP and Borla should fit the convertibles with the 2.5 diameter.
Sponsored

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I have been in contact with the sales manager at my dealership. He informed me that the part number for the exhaust for both the Convertible and Coupe GT are the same from the Cat back.

Therefore, as long as you get a 2.5" system, you should not have any problems.

They are actually installing the Borla S-Type Cat Back for me tomorrow morning and I am taking delivery tomorrow evening.

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI for anyone buying an aftermarket exhaust for the convertibles...

I can say with 100% certainty now that the current exhausts on the market will not fit the convertible.

There are braces at the rear of the car that get in the way of the pipes by almost 2". The factory exhaust has the same part number for both the coupe and the convertible. Ford took the braces into consideration when they developed their exhaust buy creating a bend section that goes closer to the body of the car and away from the brace area. The clearance for the stock exhaust is about 1" or so from the brace.

I had ordered the Borla S-Type and had the dealer try and install it prior to taking delivery today. They were not successful in the attempt.

I have now made contact with a custom exhaust shop that will cut the Borla 2.5" pipe at the required area and build an addition with the required bend.

It's going in the shop Tuesday... I will keep everyone posted on the results...

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible

I can say with 100% certainty now that the current exhausts on the market will not fit the convertible.

There are braces at the rear of the car that get in the way of the pipes by almost 2". The factory exhaust has the same part number for both the coupe and the convertible. Ford took the braces into consideration when they developed their exhaust buy creating a bend section that goes closer to the body of the car and away from the brace area. The clearance for the stock exhaust is about 1" or so from the brace.

I had ordered the Borla S-Type and had the dealer try and install it prior to taking delivery today. They were not successful in the attempt.

I have now made contact with a custom exhaust shop that will cut the Borla 2.5" pipe at the required area and build an addition with the required bend.

It's going in the shop Tuesday... I will keep everyone posted on the results...
Your statement is 100% incorrect. ;) I have a Roush axle-back on mine and it fit fine, because it splices into the factory exhaust behind where the extra braces are. FRPP axle-backs splice in the same spot, so those should work on convertibles too. Not all axle-backs are created the same, though, as I was considering the MagnaFlow axle-back but it splices further back and into the bracing area, so I was concerned that it wouldn't fit.

Also, I haven't confirmed with anyone that has installed it, but supposedly the FRPP cat-backs will fit too (as they should, since they are Ford designed and use the same size pipe as stock). They don't advertise their kits as "coupe only", and you'd think they would know :D

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible

but the Ford Racing Touring exhaust will fit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible

Chevpwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 Vert
I have been talking with Magnaflow, they are "re-tooling" their kits to fit both coupe and vert.
They are going to be keeping the same part#'s.
They were anticipating it being available the middle of this month.
I'll let you when I hear from them.

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure it will fit...

As you can see in the attached picture... the problem is at the area that I have circled.

The bend needs to be upward towards the body of the car. Which both exhausts do not have.

The original exhaust doesn't have an actual bend in the pipe at that point... they have a piece that has been welded on that goes around the brace.
2015-03-12_11-21-37.png

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I'm not sure it will fit...

As you can see in the attached picture... the problem is at the area that I have circled.

The bend needs to be upward towards the body of the car. Which both exhausts do not have.

The original exhaust doesn't have an actual bend in the pipe at that point... they have a piece that has been welded on that goes around the brace.
I chatted with a Ford Racing rep today and they said their cat-back systems do indeed fit on the convertibles. I wouldn't believe them 100% until I've seen that someone in real life has tried it, though :cheers:

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
After some extra work, the Borla S-Type catback is finally on my car. It took the addition of some bushings, relocation of the pin on the drivers side muffler and some pipe modifications...

All in all, an additional $220 in cost... I'm definitely not overly happy with the fact that Borla has made an exhaust that they state will fit the convertible when in fact it does not.

But I must admit, I do love the sound of this exhaust now that I have it on the car.

The video's definitely do not do this exhaust any justice... But in any case, Here is a short video after I got home from the installation. :)

[ame]

Sponsored

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
not sure how to embed youtube videos...

figured it out... heheh search is my friend. lol

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500, 2012 Boss 302 Silver Laguna Seca
I had the Roush axle back mufflers installed on my 2015 Mustang GT convertible this week. As you can see from the pictures I took, they do fit, as previously pointed out. The cut point is before the convertible brace interferes on both sides. Thank Goodness! :headbang:
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

Kyle@ROUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
My guess is Steve had thought you were asking about the quad tip exhaust. The axleback will fit both.

Chevpwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 Vert
Has anyone removed the rear brace and drove around?

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500, 2012 Boss 302 Silver Laguna Seca
My guess is Steve had thought you were asking about the quad tip exhaust. The axleback will fit both.
Kyle, Steve had confirmed these would fit, so I went ahead and bought them. I wanted to hear it straight from the source first. The confusion was that a parts site had them incorrectly listed as not fitting convertibles up until recently. I suspect your sales will rise now that has been corrected. :clap2:
Sponsored