GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
So I've been pretty set on getting the Roush axle-back on my new GT convertible, but when looking on their site it says "Coupe Only." I inquired to them about it as well as availability (it originally said end of December but now looks like end of January). Here was their response:

Danny,

Thanks for contacting ROUSH Performance.

Per sales, towards the end of January is when the part will be available and they are confirming that the part is for the Coupe only.

Steve
Thank You,
ROUSH Performance Products
Customer Service
39555 Schoolcraft Rd.
Plymouth, MI 48170
Phone: 800-59-ROUSH
I'm fairly certain Roush is just mistaken, but want to check on here now that some people have convertibles in hand. I just can't see what possible differences there would be in an axle-back between Coupe and Convertibles. That and the fact that no other manufacturer, including FRPP, is stating any of their exhausts being "Coupe Only" and that includes full cat-backs too! :crazy:

I know the Roush active exhaust has said "Coupe Only" for some time on the documents I've seen, which I think is either because of the rear fascia upgrade that's required (though not sure why that is different) or there must be some interference with the active part of the exhaust somewhere, maybe with some extra bracing the convertibles have? :confused:

I haven't seen anyone that has put an exhaust on a convertible yet, but wanted to start a thread in case we get someone who does or any vendors who have messed with these yet. Curious if anyone has any photo comparisons of the underbody so we can investigate further? I'd hate to order this Roush and be wrong and it not fit :mad:
Sponsored

Magic550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette Z06
Unfortunately this is correct. I've a convertible and bought a Stainless Works BEFORE I took delivery of the car. Now the exhaust doesn't fit behind the brace of the convertible. I went to Stainless Works the day after I took delivery (only 30 min away) and they installed 2" stand-offs which look like SH*T! They're trying to come up with a solution every since and I'm slowly getting tired of them not keeping me in the loop. I guess the only option for a convertible is a Ford Racing exhaust which is 2,5" vs. 3.0" ....

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Unfortunately this is correct. I've a convertible and bought a Stainless Works BEFORE I took delivery of the car. Now the exhaust doesn't fit behind the brace of the convertible. I went to Stainless Works the day after I took delivery (only 30 min away) and they installed 2" stand-offs which look like SH*T! They're trying to come up with a solution every since and I'm slowly getting tired of them not keeping me in the loop. I guess the only option for a convertible is a Ford Racing exhaust which is 2,5" vs. 3.0" ....
That stinks! Where is the brace exactly? Is it before or after the axle? I assume you're trying to do the SW cat-back? Have any photos of the interference you can share?

Another thing to note is that the Roush is the same 2.5" piping, similar to the FRPP, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue at least not for the Roush.

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Here is a 2015 convertible underbody.

Cool thanks...looks like an EB but should be similar to GT from the suitcase back I would guess. Any photos out there of the Coupe to compare to? I am thinking that big black brace that bolts just behind the axle is convertible-only. I can see that being an issue with pipe sizes on a cat-back, but don't see it being in the way for an axle-back like Roush's or FRPP (the bolt on directly after the 90 degree bend that's right before the mufflers).

Sponsored

Magic550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette Z06
That stinks! Where is the brace exactly? Is it before or after the axle? I assume you're trying to do the SW cat-back? Have any photos of the interference you can share?

Another thing to note is that the Roush is the same 2.5" piping, similar to the FRPP, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue at least not for the Roush.
I'll make some when I get home later ... but be careful ... you might throw up ... that's how crappy it looks ....

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Awesome...You're the man Grimace! :)

From what we can see, I don't see any reason why the Roush axle-back wouldn't fit. It splices in behind the extra brace the convertibles have, so unless the GT convertible has something else unique (the EB conv is shown above), I don't see why it won't fit. I am willing to be the guinea pig...once they get in stock and I can order one! :)

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Here's my crude analysis. Going to send this to Roush to get clarification. I believe this is the same cut location as the FRPP, though I know at least the Magnaflow is further into the axle, so there could be issues with that axle-back (especially since it is 3" and not 2.5").
Coupe-Conv-exhaust-comparison.jpg

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm sure a regular axle-back would work just fine with a 'vert. FWIW I would have no problem running FRPP's 2.5" catback either. There hasn't been any decent proof that the 3" catbacks are outperforming the 2.5" systems and either way you aren't going to be any slower than stock. The FRPP Sport system is my favorite sounding system so far.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I'm sure a regular axle-back would work just fine with a 'vert. FWIW I would have no problem running FRPP's 2.5" catback either. There hasn't been any decent proof that the 3" catbacks are outperforming the 2.5" systems and either way you aren't going to be any slower than stock. The FRPP Sport system is my favorite sounding system so far.
They're just stupid expensive. The Gibson was my first choice for a cat-back but it is 3", so that sounds like it would be a problem. I'm going with Roush now anyway, and if I want it louder I'll do the Lethal Performance X-pipe replacement kit later....which uses 2.5" tubing and looks like it would use the stock piping anyway around the extra bracing that looks to be the issue :headbang:

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Did hear back from Roush today, and it was confirmed that the axle-back WILL fit both coupes and convertibles! :thumbsup:

Danny,

Thanks for e-mailing back, I went to engineering, and they confirmed it will fit both, coupe and convertible. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve
Thank You,
ROUSH Performance Products
Customer Service
39555 Schoolcraft Rd.
Plymouth, MI 48170
Phone: 800-59-ROUSH

ATLFalconGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Avalanche
Did hear back from Roush today, and it was confirmed that the axle-back WILL fit both coupes and convertibles! :thumbsup:
Any other options? I'm thinking of doing the h-pipe resonator delete with the ford racing axel back. I called Gibson and they said they were working on a solution for convertibles.

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Any other options? I'm thinking of doing the h-pipe resonator delete with the ford racing axel back. I called Gibson and they said they were working on a solution for convertibles.
I got the Roush axle-back on mine as soon as it came out. Absolutely love it! There are others on here who paired it with a resonator delete and it sounds good too, but I don't want drone and I'm happy with just the axle-back. :D

Here's a video of mine:

From what I under, the FRPP cat-backs will fit convertibles, since it uses the same size pipes as stock (2.5"). I think there was one other system out there that uses 2.5" pipes, but not sure if they considered the convertible braces when they designed their routing so I couldn't guarantee it'll fit.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Any issues with the Ford Racing touring exhaust on a convertible??????
Sponsored