header install on jack stands

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
any issue with leaving car on jack stands for 1-3 days? plan on starting my header install and was thinking about taking it slow over a day or two. also is lifting motor totally necessary or hit or miss? TIA
Sponsored

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
No issues, I have installed 4 LTHs on jack stands. Its not that bad.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
No problem on jack stands. You will need to jack the motor up one side at time (keep opposite motor mount still bolted up) to gain some room at times. A block of wood under the tranny and jack will do the trick. Be careful jacking the passenger side of the engine up as you run the risk of breaking the IMRC on the back of the manifold. It will come real close to the firewall so just be aware.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I have done it twice. And you can leave a car on stands for as long as you like. Not going to hurt it. I do recommend the Steeda jacking rails though. They are awesome.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's painful, though... haha. Get really high jack stands and be damn sure they're stable because you'll be under there often.

Sponsored

awdtsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
With long extensions, a swivel and a little creativity you can get to every nut except the top two on the drivers side which are easily accesible from the top. Also a Milwaukee 12v ratchet is a life saver for this job. Use 3/8 if you can for the extra clearance. You will need a 15mm deep well socket.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Buy a set of stubby wrenches (I even cut a cheap one shorter) and awdtsi is 100% right about the auto ratchet though an air one works almost as well (line is a pita sometimes).

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's painful, though... haha. Get really high jack stands and be damn sure they're stable because you'll be under there often.
These guys must all be Young Bucks!

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
I took out both motor mounts at the same time and jacked mine up by the bell housing

Sponsored

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Unplug those IMRC connectors before you lift the motor. By the way, to answer your question, you don't have to "lift" the motor much, if at all, but you do have to SUPPORT it with a lifting mechanism in order to remove the motor mount brackets.

Getting the car up high enough is key. I'd recommend 6-ton jack stands or even something like Race Ramps. I used a set of 12" Race Ramps cribs when I did mine and there is more than enough room to be comfortable on a creeper under there.

If you are used to working on cars this install is not difficult at all. Sure it's more involved than putting a set of shorties on a SB Ford, but with extensions and swivels and ratcheting wrenches you can get to everything. I installed mine over the course of probably two weeks with an hour here and an hour there (and some days it was too cold...).

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
And go back to re-tighten the bolts after a heat cycle or 2

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Last weekend I installed a set of Pypes "stepped" headers on my 2016 GT. Prior to that, I had never installed a set on an S550. Start-to-finish took about 7 hours.

Honestly, I don't know why everyone fears this so much, as I thought it was a breeze.

I removed the entire air box and the battery and battery box from the engine bay as well. This made access to many of the upper header bolts much, much easier.

I did not have to remove the driver's side motor mount bracket. Yes the passenger side header took twice as long to install due to the starter and MM bracket needing to be removed, but if you take your time, and give yourself plenty of breaks during the install, it really is a breeze.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150