NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Convertible GT & 2017 Edge Titanium
I am not sure you can tell for v3.0 build that are 16/17 versions. I carefully open "autoinstall.lst" in Notepadd ++ (text editor) and only view the data. In version 2.x it says on the top if it is for a 16 ot 17 model year.

Tried that Sygic Car Nav, it will work for 7 days for 'premium' (whatever that means) but it does seem like a nice app and I like that you download the maps (per state/region). Not impressed that not only does the app has to be running (assumed that) but my iPhone screen has to be on all the time. I assume Waze will be the same, which is a shame. I do not mind keeping the app opened but keeping my iPhone on with the Program's splash screen is pretty much a non-starter for me.

PS Edit: I so love and hate Apple. This process with Ford AppLink would not even be needed if they would be less about them and more about usability with the customer. Makes me want to start Jailbreaking my iPhone again!
Sponsored

Last edited:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I am not sure you can tell for v3.0 build that are 16/17 versions. I carefully open "autoinstall.lst" in Notepadd ++ (text editor) and only view the data. In version 2.x it says on the top if it is for a 16 ot 17 model year.

Tried that Sygic Car Nav, it will work for 7 days for 'premium' (whatever that means) but it does seem like a nice app and I like that you download the maps (per state/region). Not impressed that not only does the app has to be running (assumed that) but my iPhone screen has to be on all the time. I assume Waze will be the same, which is a shame. I do not mind keeping the app opened but keeping my iPhone on with the Program's splash screen is pretty much a non-starter for me.

PS Edit: I so love and hate Apple. This process with Ford AppLink would not even be needed if they would be less about them and more about usability with the customer. Makes me want to start Jailbreaking my iPhone again!
Just another reason why I left the walled garden. I'll stick with my Galaxy Note's going forward.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
since sygic is using 18025 in their video thats the one supposed to be released soon

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
I am finding in my '17 Edge that disabling Carplay, so I can go use Ford AppLink for Sygic sends Sync and/or iPhone into never-never land when you turn Carplay back on. I was even careful to close out Sygic (even from running in the background) before switching back. Though I suppose you need to choose one when going out in your car and not bounce around between the modes.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Just got an FYI from my source in ford about the Map Updates. I saw the internal email/memo about it, it describes how the map updates are going to be done, it specifically talks about the license file, and the procedure on how to do it, BUT it can ONLY be done by the dealer and it is a "unwarrantable" procedure and will be FEE based. What the fee is was not in the memo. So the website me and [MENTION=19817]HizliBullet[/MENTION] signed up on is useless, it will only tell you there is an update and direct you to the dealer. This is for: US/MEXICO/CANADA. I cannot tell you about Europe.

Personally with Google maps, Waze and Sygic, I dont see the point in paying for maps, so unless we get a master license file, my maps will remain the same.

Just thought I would pass along the info.

Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Just got an FYI from my source in ford about the Map Updates. I saw the internal email/memo about it, it describes how the map updates are going to be done, it specifically talks about the license file, and the procedure on how to do it, BUT it can ONLY be done by the dealer and it is a "unwarrantable" procedure and will be FEE based. What the fee is was not in the memo. So the website me and [MENTION=19817]HizliBullet[/MENTION] signed up on is useless, it will only tell you there is an update and direct you to the dealer. This is for: US/MEXICO/CANADA. I cannot tell you about Europe.

Personally with Google maps, Waze and Sygic, I dont see the point in paying for maps, so unless we get a master license file, my maps will remain the same.

I wonder if the cost is going to be similar what Ford charges for the SD card updates which is $150? Going to be interesting to see the cost.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase

I hope you're wrong about this one I really do :lol:

why would it say "free updates are on their way" ?:mad::brokenheart:

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
The way App Link works has nothing to do with Apple.
I do not think this was knocking AppLink at all. Its is fine what it does and actually shows that other Map Apps (other than Apple Maps) can be presented on a car's head unit off the iPhone without Jailbreaking it.

Its Apple that are the buttheads with Carplay and having an embargo on 3rd Party Nav Apps. Nothing new here, they play these 'games' all the time. If I could untether JailBreak my iPhone 8 Plus, I'd likely do it (which I have not done since the iphone 4). :headbonk:

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I do not think this was knocking AppLink at all. Its is fine what it does and actually shows that other Map Apps (other than Apple Maps) can be presented on a car's head unit off the iPhone without Jailbreaking it.

Its Apple that are the buttheads with Carplay and having an embargo on 3rd Party Nav Apps. Nothing new here, they play these 'games' all the time. If I could untether JailBreak my iPhone 8 Plus, I'd likely do it (which I have not done since the iphone 4). :headbonk:
I'm really curious the reason why Apple won't allow third party navigation apps on Carplay. It really doesn't make any sense honestly. I do prefer iOS over Android, but the strict guidelines on app submissions for Carplay are ridiculous. I'm not going to jailbreak my iPhone. I do have a Galaxy Note I'll use once I receive my Mustang. You can probably find a pretty cheap older Galaxy S model to use so you have access to all the navigation options for Sync 3.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I'm really curious the reason why Apple won't allow third party navigation apps on Carplay. It really doesn't make any sense honestly. I do prefer iOS over Android, but the strict guidelines on app submissions for Carplay are ridiculous. I'm not going to jailbreak my iPhone. I do have a Galaxy Note I'll use once I receive my Mustang. You can probably find a pretty cheap older Galaxy S model to use so you have access to all the navigation options for Sync 3.
But the maps will only work with mobile data. I have a note 4 that I wanted for my bicycle, but maps will not work without an active sim card, at least in my experience.

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Because Apple has the power to do what they want, regardless of who it really hurts (which is us). Its my biggest negative for them and has been from the begining with me getting into their ecosystem. But in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

Using a secondary phone for Android Nav Apps is a non-starter. Then I'll be off my music - which is how I got into stupid Apple (since my 2006 Mustang where I connected my iPod Classic with a hack to the head until for playback & charging - those were the dark ages).

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
But the maps will only work with mobile data. I have a note 4 that I wanted for my bicycle, but maps will not work without an active sim card, at least in my experience.
Not sure which provider you have, but you can swap sim from an active Verizon phone and put it in another phone. I do that with my iPhone and Note 8.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Because Apple has the power to do what they want, regardless of who it really hurts (which is us). Its my biggest negative for them and has been from the begining with me getting into their ecosystem. But in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

Using a secondary phone for Android Nav Apps is a non-starter. Then I'll be off my music - which is how I got into stupid Apple (since my 2006 Mustang where I connected my iPod Classic with a hack to the head until for playback & charging - those were the dark ages).
Music from iTunes or Apple Music subscription?

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Music from iTunes or Apple Music subscription?
Both actually, but more and more I am just downloading locally the music from my Apple subscription. Apple just keeps giving me rope and I keep taking it. ha!

But I know what I am doing and I fought it for a long long time - 'buying into any system' that is (btw, Im 50). Now basically I just want stuff to work and have interoperability. So from the Macs, iPhones, iPads, AppTVs and the Apple Family plan - everyone can just plug their crap in and it works. Be it "Dad, I want my music in the car" or "Dad let me show you this funny YouTube" on the Apple TV - Apple lets it work. That's the best thing I like about Apple, when it works its a happy day!

This Carplay and 3rd party nav apps has me po'ed. I even sent off a email to cooks apple email the other day! Like that will do anything but I felt better after sending it ;-)
Sponsored