Sponsored

DSC Magneride

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
How long did it take Ford to tune the suspension setup? How long did it take DCS or any tunner to "dial in " the tune? I would say probably just a fraction of the time spent on tunning that Ford did. Can the tune be altered to be made better? SURE! Will three track days and street driving get it done? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Because it feels good does not mean it performs better. Where is all the test data? where are the baseline comparisons? I work for test center for aviation and I can assure you that the testing OEM's do will far surpass any aftermarket company. All I am saying is that you will need lots of time on track and street, and I mean lots to actually make a tune that is better performing. Going by "feels good to me" means diddly squat.
Yep, pretty much my line of thinking. Now if they were actually using it actively (racing etc) then I would be a little more confident thus my Corvette and Porsche remark.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Yep, pretty much my line of thinking. Now if they were actually using it actively (racing etc) then I would be a little more confident thus my Corvette and Porsche remark.
I will say the the controller and the ability to adjust is nice "IF" the car sees regular track time and the individual knows what they are doing, testing and tuning for individual tracks is pretty cool. Additionally, the controler would be beneficial for those screwing with suspension setups. But don't tell me that with a few track sessions it is all sorted out because that would be a stretch. Unless, of course you are a vehicle dynamics engineer.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Have you considered asking Mike Levitas at DSC that question instead of assuming it just sucks? Honestly, you don't have much participation from the DSC folks right now anyway - there are several dozen here or that other message board with the DSC controller. I'm still really curious about the tractive setup still in development. At the very least, we can agree some people are happy with the tune.

I have had one (controller) for awhile and had several track days, but I'm in no position to refute a global statement on the DSC sport controller, or compare the April 2017 Mike Levitas tune, the third I've used, to a GT350R.

Consider the other alternative; Ford Performance has to tune it for average behaviors.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered asking Mike Levitas at DSC that question instead of assuming it just sucks? Honestly, you don't have much participation from the DSC folks right now anyway - there are several dozen here or that other message board with the DSC controller. I'm still really curious about the tractive setup still in development. At the very least, we can agree some people are happy with the tune.

I have had one (controller) for awhile and had several track days, but I'm in no position to refute a global statement on the DSC sport controller, or compare the April 2017 Mike Levitas tune, the third I've used, to a GT350R.

Consider the other alternative; Ford Performance has to tune it for average behaviors.
Who said it sucks? I sure didn't. You are inffering. Reread my post.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I believe one of the cool things it can do is have you in a comfort mode, once you cross over 0.2g it automatically switches to a sport setting. This seems to be functionality that Ford chose not to integrate in. I think this mode is a best of both worlds

I also think this is pulling more data on what the car is doing off the canbus then the stock unit.

here is some more information:
http://www.dscsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DSC-Sport_Software-User-Manual.pdf

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)

If tuning to averages on a gt350r allows it to go around Laguna Seca faster than a 458, I would say that's a pretty damn good suspension tune.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I believe one of the cool things it can do is have you in a comfort mode, once you cross over 0.2g it automatically switches to a sport setting. This seems to be functionality that Ford chose not to integrate in. I think this mode is a best of both worlds

I also think this is pulling more data on what the car is doing off the canbus then the stock unit.

here is some more information:
http://www.dscsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DSC-Sport_Software-User-Manual.pdf
It can definitely do more. The thing is that unless you know what you are doing and have time and resources on your hands you most likely not going to. This is why I said I am concerned about the GT350/R support since most of the attention seems to go with other brands.
If we had a suspension tuner working with our cars that is willing to invest in creating and improving a tune I would sign up right now. But I am not aware of anybody right now.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Putting aside the DSC sport controller itself, what are you guys noticing or feeling in a 350R magneride that’s making you think a new DSC tune or controller would be beneficial? I’m not being rhetorical - I honestly don’t know what the problem is that’s being solved.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mods are fun.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Wow, I am intrigued by this thread and some strong opinions.
Is DSC a reliable company, it seems yes. Do they offer something that is different and may improve handling? Appears yes. Have they tweaked the controller for the GT 350, well V3 is out so it appears so. Will the controller hurt the car? Seems unlikely. Are any racing teams using it? Appears yes. Is it a mod for everyone? Probably not.
Are they committed to improving it as time goes on? They say yes!
Since we have done other modifications to our cars because someone offered something that Ford didn’t or someone did better, doesn’t this fall into this category!
Seems the DSC controller has offered other performance cars enhanced performance is there reason to believe this would be different ?
Clutch springs, shifters, front lowering springs and suspension mods, exhaust mods, lights,
even more elaborate tunes all seem to fall into this bucket.
Only a few have offered any real life experience with the controller on our cars and none are bad, or at least I haven’t read any.
The best part is it’s plug and play, you can go back to OEM any time or you can upgrade it as you seem fit, either with custom settings or when a new version comes out.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
It can definitely do more. The thing is that unless you know what you are doing and have time and resources on your hands you most likely not going to. This is why I said I am concerned about the GT350/R support since most of the attention seems to go with other brands.
If we had a suspension tuner working with our cars that is willing to invest in creating and improving a tune I would sign up right now. But I am not aware of anybody right now.
This is what I expected to come from Cortex. Doesn’t appear to have happened yet and not sure if there is a plan for it.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Who said it sucks? I sure didn't. You are inffering. Reread my post.
Wasn’t actually referring to a post in particular, just commenting on what I see as poor representation for the DSC at present. I’m a crap ambassador. ;)

Your comment was about OEM quality, but I’m not sure if you are just referring to testing, or the design as well. The DSC is a micro controller on exactly the same bus as the Ford counterpart. It couldn’t do anything without the OEM testing, and it has to live with the same external interface to the other components like PCM or other Ford devices. Ford OEM doesn’t have more sensors, and of course it’s the same Magneride, so DSC can only start where Ford stopped.

The largest benefit is the ability to be changed, or tuned to need. One tune of the DSC is no better than one Ford tune — but I would also say it is unfair to call it worse, without a good reason.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Putting aside the DSC sport controller itself, what are you guys noticing or feeling in a 350R magneride that’s making you think a new DSC tune or controller would be beneficial? I’m not being rhetorical - I honestly don’t know what the problem is that’s being solved.
Front end float/numbness in mid corner could be improved. Added overall stiffness in track mode would also be welcomed (at least for me).

But I think the biggest is tune-ability for individual tracks. A high speed track favors stability and a tight/bumpy track favors quick rebound. Would be cool to be able to have different maps that tailored response for stuff like that.

I'm also sure a select few wouldn't complain about a more "lofty" or "soft" feel in normal mode :)

Reactions: CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Isn’t Cortex using and selling it?
They are...well, not sure if they’re using it? Also, they’re only offering v2 and v3 dsc tunes are preferred by the users who have commented. I may be mistsken, but I don’t think there was a discernable difference between the v2 units sold by Cortex and DSC. That said, I have heard direct feedback from two users who prefer their own tune to the DSC tune.

I dropped an inquiry with Cortex to hear more about their intentions/development with this product and I’m awaiting a response.
Sponsored

Last edited: