Sponsored

Gains on FI 2016 GT from 2018 manifold?

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange
Okay, car is a 2016 GT M6 with a stage 2 procharger on a mostly stock car. She made 634/515 at the wheels on 93 at 11 psi of boost. Since then I fixed a small issue with the SC belt tensioner and added a Mak performance inlet pipe. I would estimate the car is at 660 whp now.

I am thinking about installing a 2018 intake based on all the good NA results recently. Any guesses on gains from doing this and adjusting the Lund tune to go with it?
Sponsored

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, HP

MAK saw 60hp and 50lb at the rear wheels with a D-1.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Okay, car is a 2016 GT M6 with a stage 2 procharger on a mostly stock car. She made 634/515 at the wheels on 93 at 11 psi of boost. Since then I fixed a small issue with the SC belt tensioner and added a Mak performance inlet pipe. I would estimate the car is at 660 whp now.

I am thinking about installing a 2018 intake based on all the good NA results recently. Any guesses on gains from doing this and adjusting the Lund tune to go with it?
Skip the manifold and go with a fuel system and an E85 tune if you have access. Way more bang for the buck. I just hope you don't have the same issues I did with Lund after doing so.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skip the manifold and go with a fuel system and an E85 tune if you have access. Way more bang for the buck. I just hope you don't have the same issues I did with Lund after doing so.
This is actually arguable.

For instance, lets say the $300 intake will gain 50hp on this application

Now to go to E85(he'll probably make 50-80hp from this alone) yes he would need a fuel system @$950 for the sai li fuel system for example, possibly larger injectors, but even so. Additionally pump E85 is more expensive than buying 93 by a smidgen in most cases so thats an ongoing cost that won't end until you stop using. Let me explain, while a gallon of E85 might cost $2 at the pump vs $3 for 93 it has a different stoich ratio so while up front costs favor E85 when you need to go to the pump 2x a week instead of 1x with 93 it adds up. Not to mention E85 isn't readily available to everyone, I live in Fl and some parts its everywhere, in other parts you might need to drive 20+ miles each way just to fill up.

With all that said I personally plan on doing a fuel system that will be E85 ready so if it does become available closer I will be making the switch. But until then I'll keep adding hard parts :)

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
This is actually arguable.

For instance, lets say the $300 intake will gain 50hp on this application

Now to go to E85(he'll probably make 50-80hp from this alone) yes he would need a fuel system @$950 for the sai li fuel system for example, possibly larger injectors, but even so. Additionally pump E85 is more expensive than buying 93 by a smidgen in most cases so thats an ongoing cost that won't end until you stop using. Let me explain, while a gallon of E85 might cost $2 at the pump vs $3 for 93 it has a different stoich ratio so while up front costs favor E85 when you need to go to the pump 2x a week instead of 1x with 93 it adds up. Not to mention E85 isn't readily available to everyone, I live in Fl and some parts its everywhere, in other parts you might need to drive 20+ miles each way just to fill up.

With all that said I personally plan on doing a fuel system that will be E85 ready so if it does become available closer I will be making the switch. But until then I'll keep adding hard parts :)
He has ID1050s so no he doesn't need injectors. 30% cost difference (your example) and 30% lesser MPGs (fact) is literally 1/1, aka a total wash vs 93. 50whp is low for e85 from 93, 80-100 more likely when properly tuned. I also doubt 50whp from the manifold swap as typical.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He has ID1050s so no he doesn't need injectors. 30% cost difference (your example) and 30% lesser MPGs (fact) is literally 1/1, aka a total wash vs 93. 50whp is low for e85 from 93, 80-100 more likely when properly tuned. I also doubt 50whp from the manifold swap as typical.
ok even if it is a wash(which it isn't, I ran the numbers) its still a grand MINIMUM up front costs thats if you do the install yourself for a new fuel system. A good Fore system is going to run you $2k plus install. Dollar for dollar still good value but so is a $300 intake even if it gains you 20hp.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
http://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories...g-picks-up-big-power-with-a-2018-intake-swap/

Bang for buck I would argue, especially on a boosted car. I wont argue against a fuel system either though, we just released something for that as well that is real afforable.

We have done two so far with the very very similar results. I won't call it typical yet, but on a boosted car I think it will be.

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
ok even if it is a wash(which it isn't, I ran the numbers) its still a grand MINIMUM up front costs thats if you do the install yourself for a new fuel system. A good Fore system is going to run you $2k plus install. Dollar for dollar still good value but so is a $300 intake even if it gains you 20hp.

Dollar for dollar that is a fair statement, memories of over $1k for the GT350 make me biased there, I'm sure.

If I were revving to 8k, which I am, I would also want OPGs and CS, which I have (whole other can of worms). So IMO, he should technically throw those in as well which will put him up another grand plus if revving to 8k with 2018GT Manifold, which I assume he would be.

There is no sense in throwing a $2k fuel system into this conversation, its totally unnecessary vs Sai Li to run E85.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome results, curious what all needs to be done with the fittings at the front of the intake.

Typically in a procharger setup you would cap the one on the left(which is pcv), one of the other two closest to the TB would be for vacuum reference, and I assume one for the fuel vapors but what about the one on the intake itself sticking straight out? Does that one get capped as well? For reference I have a 2014 s197 car.

OP
OP

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange
Unfortunately E85 is not an option on my side of Atlanta. There are no stations near my house with the closest being 20 miles. If there was E85 in my town, I would have gone that way. If it comes closer, I will probably do it. Just looking at the 18 mani while it is still a bargain.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
im in same boat. no e85 within 60 miles of me here in pa.
Sponsored