Sponsored

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I think Mike Maier Inc. did it on their shop car, but I can't find the post about it anymore. It might be worth it to give Mike and team a call.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone do this to an s550? ...any ill affects or experiance info would be great

Thanks
I do it to all my track car builds and have it done on my 2015 GT track car as well.

I use the Watson Racing kit as it is very complete and can be installed in about an hour. Works well and moved a great deal of weight off the front of the car. You can get a left or right side kit but the passenger side is shorter wire runs and puts the weight where it is needed.

Dave
IMG_5038.jpg

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I do it to all my track car builds and have it done on my 2015 GT track car as well.

I use the Watson Racing kit as it is very complete and can be installed in about an hour. Works well and moved a great deal of weight off the front of the car. You can get a left or right side kit but the passenger side is shorter wire runs and puts the weight where it is needed.

Dave
Looks great!

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Great job, looks clean.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
The WR kit is $400. For less than $400 you can buy a 5 or 6 lb LI battery and leave it up front, actually saving 30 or so pounds of weight. Use the stock battery on the street and put the LI one in for track day.

The #1 problem with this car is it is too fat already, adding weight, even if you move some weight rearward, is not ideal. The cable in this kit is heavy stuff. I'm getting rid of weight any place I can and am not adding any new weight to the car.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The WR kit is $400. For less than $400 you can buy a 5 or 6 lb LI battery and leave it up front, actually saving 30 or so pounds of weight. Use the stock battery on the street and put the LI one in for track day.

The #1 problem with this car is it is too fat already, adding weight, even if you move some weight rearward, is not ideal. The cable in this kit is heavy stuff. I'm getting rid of weight any place I can and am not adding any new weight to the car.
I get your point but weight is just one reason to move the battery. The pic above is a customer car and he did not want to change the battery until this one dies then he will likely add a light weight battery. There are issues with the light weight batteries that will add more cost than just the battery. It is still better to shift more weight off the front of the car than leaving it up front. Besides we need the old battery space to relocate some more weight off the nose of the car.

Your reasons may be different than mine but I will remove weight when it makes since and move weight when we can if it makes since. Sometimes we have rules we have to follow, sometimes it is a safety issue, and other times it comes down to cost.

Sadly we have had no problem making min weight for the series we run in. So we are left with moving weight around or spending money to remove more weight only to add it back in to the car in the form of ballast weight.

Dave

OP
OP
Matt M

Matt M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I myself like the idea of putting more weight in the trunk.

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
I might be purchasing the Watson kit. Still debating if I want to move it.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The weight of all the cables outweighs the benefit of moving it to the trunk for most people.
Sponsored