Sponsored

Bad drone from Roush AB

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, I drive an auto GT and I've had the Roush AB for a year now and the only complaint I have is the drone. It droned so much under 2000rpm with the stock resonator and when I swapped the stock resonator to a resonated x-pipe, things only got slightly better. It seems like nobody is really talking about the drone from Roush AB so is it just me?

I have the automatic transmission, could that be the issue? If so, what other exhausts properly deal with drone from an automatic? When they claim "zero drone" such as Borla or Corsa, do they mean zero drone for manuals or autos as well? Thank you!
Sponsored

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
It doesn't matter what transmission you have, you won't get drone with a Borla or Corsa system.

OP
OP

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't matter what transmission you have, you won't get drone with a Borla or Corsa system.
The video for Roush AB on American Muscle says that it has "absolutely no drone" so I'm just a little worried if I should trust claims like this...

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have Roush Axle-back's on my 2016 GT Auto and I have ZERO drone.

I also have a x pipe in place of the stock resonator.

OP
OP

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have Roush Axle-back's on my 2016 GT Auto and I have ZERO drone.

I also have a x pipe in place of the stock resonator.
See, that's why I'm confused. It seems that I'm the only person out there...

No drone even in 6th gear at around 2000rpm with moderate load?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You sure you're not confusing drone with just a constant tone? Many exhausts have a consistent hum at cruise, but not true resonance (drone). The Borla stuff for sure. Corsa is nearly silent at cruise. Just as quiet as stock until you get deeper into the throttle.

Try capping off/removing your sound tube first before you spend more money. There's a weird acoustic mixing that happens with the tube and aftermarket exhaust.

OP
OP

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You sure you're not confusing drone with just a constant tone? Many exhausts have a consistent hum at cruise, but not true resonance (drone). The Borla stuff for sure. Corsa is nearly silent at cruise. Just as quiet as stock until you get deeper into the throttle.

Try capping off/removing your sound tube first before you spend more money. There's a weird acoustic mixing that happens with the tube and aftermarket exhaust.
I'm sure it's not the constant tone, the hum is just fine but ears get destroyed when it hits a certain rpm range at a certain load...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it's not the constant tone, the hum is just fine but ears get destroyed when it hits a certain rpm range at a certain load...
It's possibly because of the shift schedule of the auto. Going to the Corsa sport axleback (Xtreme mufflers) would certainly take care of the problem.

Snook66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Grabber Blue
No drone with my '17 auto. Roush ab with stock reso.

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange
No drone at all on my Roush AB and x-pipe on my 18 GT A10. Loud as he'll on cold start and wails like a banshee at WOT, but in normal cruise it is drone free.

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
On my auto with a 3.15 rear. The Roush have a drone when the trans shifts to 6th gear by 45 mph and rpm falls below 1400. Put it sport mode and see if it changes. Other than that, no drone

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
I used dynomax race bullets to get rid of drone, some much better with them. Not sure how they compare to a resonatoed x-pipe but at cruising not wot it's a nice tone, while wot it's the same just as loud as before. Cabin noise is much better. Put them before the fuel tank.

dwaine dibbley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Coupe 2016
Try and loosen the clamps on the shiny tailpieces and slide them out as far as you can, then retighten, the further out they are it seems to help to get the noise away from the rear of the car.

What have you got to lose? It takes 5 mins.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
On my auto with a 3.15 rear. The Roush have a drone when the trans shifts to 6th gear by 45 mph and rpm falls below 1400. Put it sport mode and see if it changes. Other than that, no drone
Yeah 6th gear and at low speeds will have some drone/vibration if you give it gas from what I have seen as well.

Captain Trips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
As a means of troubleshooting it might be worth doing a temporary sound tube delete. The intake resonator and Roush axle back frequencies might be interacting at certain engine speeds and thus creating the drone you speak of.
Sponsored