Sponsored

Yes its true no new Mustang Body style till 2025-2026

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As long as an naturally aspirated V8 option is available, who cares? Having a hybrid version, even with an i3 (like the BMW i8), will sell more Mustangs to the non-enthusiast crowd, which generates more money for Ford from the Mustang brand, which then allows Ford to pump more money into the Mustang brand and allows us to have crazy cars that don’t sell as well such as a 700+hp GT500.
I won’t buy a V6, i4 Ecoboost or a hybrid Mustang, but not having those means no Mustangs for anyone. Don’t be obtuse.
Depends on if the same power train engineering resources are shared on all Mustang development or not. I'd prefer to have an improved V8 over a hybrid. Even an improved 4 cylinder turbo which I probably will never buy is much preferred in my opinion over a hybrid. At least the 4 cylinder has the advantage of light weight.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I don't know.... if I had to choose between a 887HP Porsche 918 versus a "non-hybrid" and lighter 600HP NA Porsche 918 (basically a Carrera GT but AWD), I would take the hevavier PIG every time... but that's just me.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Depends on if the same power train engineering resources are shared on all Mustang development or not. I'd prefer to have an improved V8 over a hybrid. Even an improved 4 cylinder turbo which I probably will never buy is much preferred in my opinion over a hybrid. At least the 4 cylinder has the advantage of light weight.
The hybrid has been touted as offering the same performance as the previous V8 (2011-2017) but with ~35mpg. However, that doesn’t actually matter - the average person looking for a coup (ie: no one who posts on this forum :p ) want high mpg and occasional bursts of fun. We would all prefer a better V8, but the average consumer does not - it is getting the sale of that average schmoe that allows us to have our V8. Just like how Porsche smartly began making SUVs and Sportback Sedans; it allows them to continue making 911s. You must make what the average consumer wants to make money, this then lets you make the niche vehicles that we love. Even if it's the same engineering team making the hybrid, more money from sales means more money for R&D + Engineering for the brand.

What I'm saying is: I'm not going to buy the hybrid, you are not going to buy the hybrid, but it will allow Ford to sell more Mustangs which affects us positively. Furthermore, it is not replacing the V8, it is not stopping improvements to the V8, and until Ford says otherwise, we are left with only positives by having a hybrid. Again, we aren't buying it, the V8 is still here and amazing... so, who gives a crap if Ford wants to make a hybrid because it will sell more Mustangs? It affects us V8 owners about as much as the Ecoboost did when everyone was flipping out about that announcement 6 years ago.

Last edited:

overd0sed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In toronto and every Chevy dealership has 5 plus 18 camaros just sitting there for months compared to 0 available mustangs at any Ford

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You fail to take into account the amount of money something "simple" like racing coolers will cost in R&D, testing, certification etc..
Not a whole lot if you use off the shelf parts already developed and engineered (GT350).

You are pretty clueless with the numbers you pulled out of your @$&. Margins for ANY part are MASSIVE. Realistically coolers wouldn't increase the price of the car more than $500-1,000. Make it an option. It's a no-brainer.

Look at the Ford Racing Brembo brake kit. MSRP is $1,759. Some retailers are selling it for $1,325. They're getting at least a 30-40% margin at MSRP, but to be conservative, let's say 30% ($1,225 wholesale). Ford is making at least a 50% margin on that, and likely closer to 70%. If you don't believe me, look at the retail prices of all of the components that differ from a base GT to a Performance Pack car.

Offering a profit-generating option is a no-brainer. It blows my mind at the lack of common sense and the rampant libtardism in this thread that has the attitude of "If I don't want it, need it, or can't have it, I don't want YOU to have it". You're all the problem with society today.

Hell, you can order pink seatbelts for any Porsche if you want to pay for it. Ford is missing the boat with offering options that customers want.

Again, you cars and coffee posers can save money by buying base cars and opting for your "blingy" 6-pot caliperz, since you don't need coolers, larger radiators, 3.73 gears or a torsen LSD. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Offering a profit-generating option is a no-brainer. It blows my mind at the lack of common sense and the rampant libtardism in this thread that has the attitude of "If I don't want it, need it, or can't have it, I don't want YOU to have it". You're all the problem with society today.
And again, another clueless statement.

An option is only "profit-generating" if it has enough of a take rate to justify the extra costs associated with the option. The amount of people that would check the box to pay $1500 for extra coolers is very, very small.

Options such as coolers can require costly manufacturing line tweaks to allow for what would like be a special order option. The GT-82 transmission currently has no engineering work involved for adding and validating an external mount trans coolers from the factory.

Is Ford losing any meaningful amount of sales by not offering coolers? Nope.
Would I have paid extra for trans and diff coolers when there are only a handful of people that have experienced any problems with extreme duty track time? Nope.

If you wan't to track your car heavily, buy a GD cooler. You can surely afford it as you already have to regularly replace tires and brakes. And don't give me the ...."but warranty" BS excuse.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Not a whole lot if you use off the shelf parts already developed and engineered (GT350).

You are pretty clueless with the numbers you pulled out of your @$&. Margins for ANY part are MASSIVE. Realistically coolers wouldn't increase the price of the car more than $500-1,000. Make it an option. It's a no-brainer.

Look at the Ford Racing Brembo brake kit. MSRP is $1,759. Some retailers are selling it for $1,325. They're getting at least a 30-40% margin at MSRP, but to be conservative, let's say 30% ($1,225 wholesale). Ford is making at least a 50% margin on that, and likely closer to 70%. If you don't believe me, look at the retail prices of all of the components that differ from a base GT to a Performance Pack car.

Hell, you can order pink seatbelts for any Porsche if you want to pay for it. Ford is missing the boat with offering options that customers want.

Again, you cars and coffee posers can save money by buying base cars and opting for your "blingy" 6-pot caliperz, since you don't need coolers, larger radiators, 3.73 gears or a torsen LSD. :thumbsup:
I never claimed the numbers to be exact but I do know what I am talking about and have a pretty good idea of what all goes into product planning, scaling, testing, certification etc. The fact you insult others that don't use their cars in the same way as you just goes to show what kind of person you are.

The reason you can order a Porsche with pink seatbelts is because they charge ALOT more for their vehicles, make way less of them and their clients expect that level of customization when they are dropping 6 figures on a car. That level of customization doesnt work with mass produced vehicles but you dont seem to grasp that concept so I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

At the end of the day there are options if you want those coolers, if you want them from Ford then you can buy a GT350 which is specifically developed for that type of racing. If the aftermarket options don't suit your needs then either start your own company and develop it, partner with an existing company that's willing to take on the risk of developing them for the GT or just trade in your Mustang for a Camaro since you seem to think its so much better and GM desperately needs your business.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
My friends wife's- sister-in-law whose husband knows a guy he use to work with, was told by his uncle who was talking to a man pumping gas the other day, said that he talked to his bosses son who is a car guy and heard at cars n coffee when he walked by a group of guys standing around Mustangs say that his echocardiologist's- mailman's uncle worked for Ford back in 1930s, was still friends with family of Ford and said your friend was full of shit.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Only by the "added complexity" on the line Ford is throwing away a lot of money, that's why Jim Hackett wants to reduce the number of things you can customize, so.... it will only get worse than it is today.

What am I talking about?
FOR EXAMPLE, Right now there is around 35k possible combinations with the Fusion, Jim will reduce this to only 96 (Yes, less than the 0.3% than it is right now) so... go figure (Obviously, this is added to the fact that IT LOOKS that the Fusion will be a Asia Pacific model from now on, which means only for China and a couple of other countries). This plan goes to the whole Ford Lineup.

By doing this, Jim will save (Read it with Trump's voice) Billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions of dollars hahaha

(Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-ford-ceo-meets-investors-20171003-story.html)

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
At the end of the day there are options if you want those coolers, if you want them from Ford then you can buy a GT350 which is specifically developed for that type of racing.
Aren't coolers also available from Ford Racing?

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla

I wouldn't throw Porsche into the mix for your example on what a manufacturer offers to their customers. That is a low volume, relatively speaking, top tier auto manufacturer. Porsches of any type are usually expensive but the last time I checked, they make the most profit per unit sold. Along with Lamborghini, they both offer extremely expensive options. I've seen the prices they charge for their wide list of options and those prices certainly wouldn't be acceptable to most people. Porsche's parent company would be more apples to apples comparison though.

Besides, it's much better from the days of, "you can have any color you like, as long as it's black." ;)

EDIT: I just saw this post.

I never claimed the numbers to be exact but I do know what I am talking about and have a pretty good idea of what all goes into product planning, scaling, testing, certification etc. The fact you insult others that don't use their cars in the same way as you just goes to show what kind of person you are.

The reason you can order a Porsche with pink seatbelts is because they charge ALOT more for their vehicles, make way less of them and their clients expect that level of customization when they are dropping 6 figures on a car. That level of customization doesnt work with mass produced vehicles but you dont seem to grasp that concept so I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

At the end of the day there are options if you want those coolers, if you want them from Ford then you can buy a GT350 which is specifically developed for that type of racing. If the aftermarket options don't suit your needs then either start your own company and develop it, partner with an existing company that's willing to take on the risk of developing them for the GT or just trade in your Mustang for a Camaro since you seem to think its so much better and GM desperately needs your business.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Aren't coolers also available from Ford Racing?
For the GT350 that didnt come with the Track Pack. There is a air scoop to help cool the transmission overall on the GT but no actual fluid coolers. The Tremec in the GT350 has a inbuilt pump to support the transmission cooler and the rear diff cooler also requires an external pump. Its not so simple to just take a GT350 kit and slap it on a GT, especially since the MT-82 doesnt have that built in pump. OEM's have to meet certain durability targets, regulatory mandates in addition to creating documentation, testing the product to make sure it works, durability testing to make sure it will hold up etc.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

It's pretty apparent you don't.

I don't have an issue with people who want blingy brakes and don't track their cars. I love my Mustang but am disappointed in the shortcomings of the 18 and that the Camaro is the better car despite worse sales. I'd rather not get a Camaro to replace my 2016 GT but given my needs, it's the better car.

I'm quite surprised at the rampant liberal logic of "if I don't need, want, or can't have it, I don't want YOU to have it". Why not allow for options if it does not increase the cost for everyone, just those who want it?

It sounds like you guys would still be content with a solid axle. I guess that's why it took Ford until 2015 to put an IRS on the Mustang. Because they already outsell the Camaro. So much for progress :headbonk:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why not allow for options if it does not increase the cost for everyone, just those who want it?
Adding options DOES increase the cost for everyone, because it increases the cost for Ford.
Sponsored