Sponsored

Thinking of picking up a 17GT leftover.. have reservations

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been looking around at left over 2017 stock, and I don't understand the dealer pricing strategy. Currently, the best 17 prices are only a couple thousand under 18s, and the technology difference between the two models is rather substantial.

This of course is advertised price. If you call a dealer about a 17 when they have 18s on the lot, you should be able to quickly talk them down to a price equal to a net loss on their end.
They probably aren't having trouble selling the 17s and a slight discount is all it takes.
Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
If the price is right, I don't see why not. I don't get the hype on the A10. When new things come out the 1st year is usually the worst and given the A10 is part GM I don't have a lot of confidence in it. Time will tell.
Have you driven an a10 car yet? If not you should give it a try : )

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I picked up 2017 base GT with Manual transmission, what sold me was 0% interest for 72 months!!

I am upgrading the base head unit to the Sync 3 with nav now.. then plan on upgrading it to the digital dash next.

Had no plan to keep the car stock, so the dealer discounts on the 17 plus the 0% Ford Credit Financing sold me. Just more funds to modify the car and make it what I want.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Don't do it. 15-17 Mustangs are now obsolete vehicles.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It really boils down to what YOU find important in the car.

Beside the small styling changes (I personally don't think it looks THAT much different) the next big thing is the engine difference.

If you are planning on trying to get every extra tenth out of your car at the strip, that might be important to you. Next up is the 10 speed Auto. I prefer a manual transmission - that's just MY preference, so your mileage may vary. Note the 10 speed is big factor in being faster at the track, again if that's on of your primary things you are looking at.

Where I'm at right now - I have a co worker and another friend both considering jumping on the Mustang bandwagon. One has owned Mustangs in the past (he sold a '69 Mach I to help put his first two through college, but his youngest just secured a full academic ride for her last year of college and plans for a fun daily driver were moved up. The other just sold the Vette he's been working on / driving for several years. He wants something a bit bigger and he couldn't stand the Camaro from a driver's standpoint. On paper he was SURE we was buying a Camaro.

Both prefer a manual transmission and both could care less about the new gauge cluster and neither thought the styling differences were that big between the '17 and '18.

The best deal on a '18 GT Base 6 speed with the PP that I have personally seen is $35K. On the other hand the best deal on an identically equipped new '17 is right at $30K.

Your mileage may vary.

In the end, if YOU are happy with the car and the deal - you got a good deal.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
18 is worth it for the engine. But the looks... not for me. That's been beaten to death, though. I really, really wish my 5.0 would have a few more millimeters of nuts on the bottom end and it seems the new revision takes care of the S550 5.0 pitfalls. Should my engine ever poop out, I'd probably opt for a 2018+ replacement, if I could.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If you're getting auto, I wouldn't get a 17 personally. If you were getting a MT and didn't care about the upgraded transmission in the 18 then it wouldn't matter.
Otherwise if you're getting a base car you wouldn't be missing too much but better exhaust and engine upgrades. The real bigger changes are the MR, digital dash, and things like that which a base car wouldn't have anyway.
This. The new A10 seems to be pretty amazing, especially with the engine upgrades. If you were just looking at a manual, it would be more up to your personal preference and what you wanted to do with the car.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
When new things come out the 1st year is usually the worst .....
Meh....sometimes, sometimes not. I remember the LCA and clutch/trans issues with the 2011 Mustang, but most owners had no problems. And there's 0 issues with the 2015+ cars.

Plus, that trans has been out for a few years now.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Meh....sometimes, sometimes not. I remember the LCA and clutch/trans issues with the 2011 Mustang, but most owners had no problems. And there's 0 issues with the 2015+ cars.

Plus, that trans has been out for a few years now.
Yea, I’d personally like to thank Raptor and ZL1 owners for beta testing the A10 for us. :cheers:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I’d personally like to thank Raptor and ZL1 owners for beta testing the A10 for us. :cheers:
And '17 3.5L EB F150 owners, by far the highest volume customer.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Don't do it. 15-17 Mustangs are now obsolete vehicles.
How are 2015 - 2017 mustangs 6 speed auto obsolete.
Add a new 3rd generation 2.9l whipple supercharger kit for around $7500 and make over 700 HP on 93 octane fuel.
Whipple just spent thousands of dollars on research to develop this 3rd generation supercharger.
I sure do not think Whipple spent $$$ on a obsolete mustang.LOL

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Add a new 3rd generation 2.9l whipple supercharger kit for around $7500 and make over 700 HP on 93 octane fuel.
Whipple just spent thousands of dollars on research to develop this 3rd generation supercharger.
I'm going to hope he was being facetious.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Of course it's friggin obsolete. But that doesn't mean money can't be made off of a platform that is more abundant. This isn't a very good argument to bring in economics of a company's revenue stream in with the truth about the forward movement of technology.

Why does Edelbrock continue to develop parts for engines 40 and 50 years old? Uh, because there's money there? Doesn't change the fact that a a 351 Windsor quite obsolete.

Obsolete =/= loss of revenue
Obsolete =/= impractical
Obsolete =/= dysfunctional
Sponsored