Sponsored

2018 without active exhaust?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My 2016 sounded like crap stock. Much better with an exhaust. I'd be all over the active exhaust and Magneride in a 2018, unless it's a track car.
Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
I got the active exhaust solely due to the quiet mode. I like being able to take a trip in peace and quiet like I could with my LMS built '16 SHO putting down 390awhp through full stock exhaust. I have no desire to spend hours on the interstate listening to my exhaust blare.
If you want loud, buy the passive exhaust and mod to your level of taste.
Another option would be to get the active exhaust and mod so it's obnoxious on "track" and reasonable on "quiet". Seems the best of both worlds. YMMV.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible

Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A bit of a cheat, but here is my 2018 with standard exhaust with a Roush resonator delete x-pipe installed.

Going by this, it seems like the standard 2018 mufflers are louder than GT500 mufflers. Sounds good!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A bit of a cheat, but here is my 2018 with standard exhaust with a Roush resonator delete x-pipe installed.

Sooooo much better than the 15-17 stock exhaust, and actually good sounding with a resonator delete. X on the 15-17 stock mufflers sounds icky (I did it. All rasp, no tonal quality).

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
My base 2018 GT sounds so much better than my base 2017 GT did. I owned 2 Dodge Scat Packs in between and those sound really good but the new GT has a nice growl.

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
I am a fan of the sound of the '18s... preferably with active exhaust. I like the extra growl that can be had, but I'd appreciate the quiet mode for those occasional love drives.

Going by this, it seems like the standard 2018 mufflers are louder than GT500 mufflers. Sounds good!
I don't think those videos are a fair comparison due to the fact that the cold start (stock exhaust) vid is in an enclosed space, while the X-pipe delete vid is out in the open.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
stock GT is not going to sound great as it never has. Get the active if you want louder without going aftermarket
The 2018 GT regular exhaust is by far the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a non-Shelby mustang. They did a great job on the new system. I almost didn't want to modify it. Almost.

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Another option would be to get the active exhaust and mod so it's obnoxious on "track" and reasonable on "quiet". Seems the best of both worlds. YMMV.
The problem is a LOT of guys aren't fast enough to back up the obnoxious part. It's like all the GM guys that show up at half-mile shootouts with loud Vettes and CTSVs that get gapped all day by GTRs and Lambos. I can't even count the amount of obnoxiously loud cars my 4,400lbs quiet SHO beat on the track and street from both a dig and a roll. It's just plain embarrassing.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is a LOT of guys aren't fast enough to back up the obnoxious part. It's like all the GM guys that show up at half-mile shootouts with loud Vettes and CTSVs that get gapped all day by GTRs and Lambos. I can't even count the amount of obnoxiously loud cars my 4,400lbs quiet SHO beat on the track and street from both a dig and a roll. It's just plain embarrassing.
So whenever your SHO gets gapped(?) your excuse is that it's quiet, is that what you are trying to say ? :D

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I'm at the dealer right now picking up my buddies standard exhaust GT. Sounds hella good stock. Plenty loud but not obnoxious.
When is your 2018 arriving bro?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
It's gonna be at least 2.5 months. After driving his car for 50+ miles and letting it rip up to 100 MPH it makes me want to say fuck it and get in any 2018 lol.
Haha you should never have driven it LOL...but atleast you know what you'll be getting. Even with the stock exhaust I debate whether I should listen to the radio or listen to the car lol....its usually the latter.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I got the active exhaust solely due to the quiet mode. I like being able to take a trip in peace and quiet
My wife is the reason I'll be getting the AE...she is not into loud...especially if we get a vert.
Sponsored