Close-call thread (Dash Cam)

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Had a close call with a light pole this morning. I was slowly accelerating up to highway speed (70) in 5th gear when the backend decided to slip out.
Turns out lowered Mustang can make it through ankle deep snow rather well with snow tires.

Sorry for the loud blowing noise of the defroster on high hitting the dash cam mic.

Yup
Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Had a close call with a light pole this morning. I was slowly accelerating up to highway speed (70) in 5th gear when the backend decided to slip out.
Turns out lowered Mustang can make it through ankle deep snow rather well with snow tires.

Sorry for the loud blowing noise of the defroster on high hitting the dash cam mic.

Wow.. did that get your blood pressure up or were you like one of those snow belters that just says, "that was fun"?

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Sometimes the rear end breaks loose and you’re just along for the ride. Nice recovery.

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I was startled that it began to slip and did have a minor internal freak out when I thought I was going to eat the light pole at 60mph. Once I figured out that I'd missed the pole I was only concerned about the front end getting damaged in the snow/ice or getting stuck and needing to shell out for a tow.

I did take a look at the undercarriage and don't see any major damage. Just a bunch of grass and ice shoved up in every crevice. The jacking rails look like they took some hits, so there is another benifit of having those.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you clutch or just let off the gas ? Would that make any difference? Wha'ts the chances there was a layer of ice under the snow ?

Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Why go ~70 mph on snow/ice (road is completely white) ? Might be hard to see on camera don't know.

Good timing on the missing the light pole and controlling it off road though.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Road looks dry, white is salt residue.

I would say he needs new rear tires at least. Still trying to figure out how he lost it so quickly

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Road looks dry, white is salt residue.

I would say he needs new rear tires at least. Still trying to figure out how he lost it so quickly
It's possible his tires are worn, but it has also been teens below zero in the Twin Cities area lately. Black ice is a real thing. And tires just don't grip as well in such cold temperatures. I do agree that the roads here are white coated in salt right now and that's what the vid looks like.

I've been in a similar situation before when there was low traction. I didn't leave the road or my lane, but I was shocked at how quickly the back started to come around. I don't know if the poster was using weather mode, but I have started using it more often - I found it really helps.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The salting here is a bit on the crazy side. Sometimes they go overkill with it. My best guess is that I hit either a bunch of it that the salt trucks pile up on the entrance and exit ramps, or I got caught up in some black ice. The cold here is enough to cause the exhaust to freeze on the ramps and intersections. There were a lot of accidents this morning.

I'm just glad I missed the pole. No need for caffeine this morning when I got to work. Lol.

My tires have quite a bit of tread yet, but even then ice will still cause problems.
20180102_144843-1008x756.jpg

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The salting here is a bit on the crazy side. Sometimes they go overkill with it. My best guess is that I hit either a bunch of it that the salt trucks pile up on the entrance and exit ramps, or I got caught up in some black ice. The cold here is enough to cause the exhaust to freeze on the ramps and intersections. There were a lot of accidents this morning.
I'm just glad I missed the pole. No need for caffeine this morning when I got to work. Lol.
My tires have quite a bit of tread yet, but even then ice will still cause problems.
Damn, that is scary stuff. You probably hit a patch of black ice.
Thank God you didn't hit the pole.

ATLDesigns550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
Hahah its very funny to see this, I live in Atlanta as well and I've never seen so many terrible drivers in one place. Its amazing

How often you go to the meet ups around here?
Sorry for what ever reason I just saw your reply.

I’m part of the ATL s550’s and GA s550’s. I try to go to Caffeine and Octane or other meets. Depends on my family schedule.

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
Missed me by inches.

Truck though he could push me off the road, ended up splitting the lane between me and another vehicle. He is probably used to people moving out of his way, I tend to stand my ground.
Skip to 1:36 unless you like watching left lane campers getting passed.

Sponsored