Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Just drove mine... Been on the road for a couple weeks (India and Paris) and has odd as it sounds missed driving the car. Few back roads later with the windows down and nothing but the sound of RPM's and exhaust to make up for it.

Silly I guess but it does sort of ground you all over again.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
As far as messing up the stock lug nuts, I have to think that it is the use of an impact driver that screws them up.

I will only use an impact driver to remove them, never to install them. However, I noticed that although my impact driver should have power to spare, it really struggled to remove the lug nuts. I think this must be due to a portion of the "impact" being absorbed by the chrome shell "slipping" on the steel core. Do it long, hard, and fast enough and the chrome shell deforms a bit.

After struggling with a couple of tires and the impact driver, I tested out "pre-loosening" one tire before lifting up the car. Those spun off very easily with the impact driver after lifting the car. I normally prefer to use the impact driver because I can lift the tire off the ground without loosening any nuts.

I didn't really want to re-use any of the sketchy lugs for fear of being stuck out on the road with a problem and minimal tools, plus at least one of the lugs had to be pounded out of the socket which totally destroyed the shiny end cap. Rather than continually replace a few stock lugs here and there, I decided to just replace them all with "single piece" lugs. It was a bonus that Gorilla offered them in black to match my rims.
I managed to have three separate lugnuts "slip" just by using a breaker bar. Rounded off that aluminum shell, and I had to take a chisel and break up the aluminum around it to get to the underlying nut... which I believe is a 20mm nut.

Was a pain in the ass.

I wonder how tough the Gorilla ones will be? Although black they look like they have the same type of cover as the original Ford lug nuts, which Ford lug nuts after a while tend to bend and deform. Doesn't anyone make a one piece solid steel lug nut?
The gorillas are a one piece lug nut.

These ones:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...style-bulge-black-chrome-2015-2017/p/WHLLN20/

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Just drove mine... Been on the road for a couple weeks (India and Paris) and has odd as it sounds missed driving the car. Few back roads later with the windows down and nothing but the sound of RPM's and exhaust to make up for it.

Silly I guess but it does sort of ground you all over again.
Doesn't sound odd at all and not silly. Makes perfect sense to me! :thumbsup:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda jacking rails came in. Going to install those after work and throw in the Steeda transmission insert as well.

Sponsored

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
The jacking rails are so awesome. I again benefitted from mine yesterday. Nice to be able to jack from anywhere and set up jack stands anywhere as well.
where do you put your jackstands after you jacked the car up?
any details how you did it...ive been wanting to do this but for some reason i am afraid i will do something wrong....
picts would help too...

just need the details...

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
any details how you did it...ive been wanting to do this but for some reason i am afraid i will do something wrong....
picts would help too...

just need the details...
[ame]

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
picts would help too...

just need the details...

This is how Steeda does it

steeda-s550-mustang-ultra-lite-chassis-jacking-rails-15-16-all-555-5207-05.jpg

116758d1447947240-steeda-chassis-jacking-rails-img_0426.jpg

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Jacking rails fall into the category of not really a necessity but a nice to have. I like being nice to myself so I bought a pair.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Great, they look identical to the OEM lugs except with the black finish rather then chrome. Sounds like you have them and have confirmed they are indeed one solid lug, so that's great.
Yep - they are solid. Just got this in last night:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VSVYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's weird. I literally paid $85 for mine 2 days ago and now they are over $90. Regardless they are nice. Every lug is locking, black finish looks very durable and they are 1 piece. They are what the Gorilla Tech rep recommended for the OEM 18" alum wheels.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Yep - they are solid. Just got this in last night:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VSVYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's weird. I literally paid $85 for mine 2 days ago and now they are over $90. Regardless they are nice. Every lug is locking, black finish looks very durable and they are 1 piece. They are what the Gorilla Tech rep recommended for the OEM 18" alum wheels.
amazon prices change very often. it's helpful to use a site like this

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Ford-Mustang-Pony-Metal-Chain/product/B002A2L5K0

to know if it's the right time to buy. When someone purchases something (or in amazon's case, probably hundreds of people purchase something, it suddently gets more expensive. It's genius really.
Sponsored