Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Just shove it through the other side with your hand? It's how I got mine out.
This is what I did when they were off the car, but now that they are installed and the center cap covers the lug nuts, I'll have to pull it from the front. And of course all surfaces there are shiny black painted and clear coated...
Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
LOL your lugs got chewed up too? Service adviser at the shop was telling me "man your rear driver lugs are swollen....we have to pound the socket on them, is that okay with you?" Well I don't have a choice do I?

Now I also need to find lugs, I liked my 6-spline on my old car, any good ones like that? Are they "acorn" style for factory wheels.

6 splines are available from American Racing, but I'm not sure if they have the extra wide bevel like the stock ones, so there might be a risk in chewing up your rims.

I ordered gorilla lugs from cjpony. They are extra wide just like stock, but not "two piece". They come is black or chrome but they are not 6 spline, they are 13/16" (21mm) just like stock.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
6 splines are available from American Racing, but I'm not sure if they have the extra wide bevel like the stock ones, so there might be a risk in chewing up your rims.

I ordered gorilla lugs from cjpony. They are extra wide just like stock, but not "two piece". They come is black or chrome but they are not 6 spline, they are 13/16" (21mm) just like stock.
Eh then I'll probably just get those then, don't want the wheel getting chewed up. I'm okay with same lug but black so no big deal. Only reason I like the 6 spline is they're narrower and their key is narrow so no scratching with the sockets, but that's not a deal breaker.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Eh then I'll probably just get those then, don't want the wheel getting chewed up. I'm okay with same lug but black so no big deal. Only reason I like the 6 spline is they're narrower and their key is narrow so no scratching with the sockets, but that's not a deal breaker.
Here is the link. Watch the video, they show them side by side with the stock lug nuts... (if not in this product video, then the video on the chrome version)

CJPony was the best price I could find for a complete set.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
As far as messing up the stock lug nuts, I have to think that it is the use of an impact driver that screws them up.

I will only use an impact driver to remove them, never to install them. However, I noticed that although my impact driver should have power to spare, it really struggled to remove the lug nuts. I think this must be due to a portion of the "impact" being absorbed by the chrome shell "slipping" on the steel core. Do it long, hard, and fast enough and the chrome shell deforms a bit.

After struggling with a couple of tires and the impact driver, I tested out "pre-loosening" one tire before lifting up the car. Those spun off very easily with the impact driver after lifting the car. I normally prefer to use the impact driver because I can lift the tire off the ground without loosening any nuts.

I didn't really want to re-use any of the sketchy lugs for fear of being stuck out on the road with a problem and minimal tools, plus at least one of the lugs had to be pounded out of the socket which totally destroyed the shiny end cap. Rather than continually replace a few stock lugs here and there, I decided to just replace them all with "single piece" lugs. It was a bonus that Gorilla offered them in black to match my rims.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I just ordered these for the 18" GT wheels I'm going to paint / coat black.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VSVYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These were what the actual Gorilla Rep recommended for the 18" foundry wheels. They also make a slimmer version as well.

Keep in mind these are all splined / locks.
Sweet! Well there is the 6 spline version that csmaan12 was looking for. I was passively avoiding the "locking" lugs so I didn't look at anything along those lines.

As for not scratching the wheel, I use a Teflon coated 21mm socket. Works quite well with the stock California special rims. As for the American Racing rims (winter tires), the lug holes are covered up with the center cap so scratching is a non-issue.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Bought some MRR M600 wheels! Cant wait!

Sponsored

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
Here is the link. Watch the video, they show them side by side with the stock lug nuts... (if not in this product video, then the video on the chrome version)

CJPony was the best price I could find for a complete set.
I wonder how tough the Gorilla ones will be? Although black they look like they have the same type of cover as the original Ford lug nuts, which Ford lug nuts after a while tend to bend and deform. Doesn't anyone make a one piece solid steel lug nut?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I wonder how tough the Gorilla ones will be? Although black they look like they have the same type of cover as the original Ford lug nuts, which Ford lug nuts after a while tend to bend and deform. Doesn't anyone make a one piece solid steel lug nut?
Mine survived being torqued to over 200 lb-ft by the dealer. Got some scuffs but holding up over the past 18 months.
Sponsored