Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
My dad and I can't figure out what the Vacuum display is for. I know it's for track use. But what's the purpose?
27023860_10155221790253730_1014666131857840572_o.jpg

it's the one nearest the passenger..
Sponsored

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Honestly i think it’s a ode to the mustangs of the early years. At least that’s what i heard. In a 5.0 it doesn’t serve much of a purpose. I’m tempted to swap it for a digital gauge of some sort.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
The vacuum guage is an aide in helping the driver achieve optimum fuel economy. There is certain rpm levels at load which require less fuel... ..uh I think

OP
OP
sbrenskell

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So basically it doesn't do anything useful?

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
So basically it doesn't do anything useful?
It can help with diagnostics to see if there is a problem...if you know for sure you typically pull X vacuum at X speed in X gear, and suddenly you are pulling less, you know something might be wrong. Or you have a huge head wind.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Back in the day, Vacuum Gauges were to monitor fuel economy. The thought was the higher the vacuum, the leaner the fuel mixture; therefore, better economy.

But those were mechanical gauges that reacted to even the slightest change in throttle.

The Mustang dash gauges are fed information from the computer and there is a significant lag.

So, at this point, it's really just another whizz-bang Gee-Gaw to fill a hole in the dash. I suppose on the Turbo cars, it's a little more useful with the Boost information.

The GT's should've got an Oil Temp gauge there if you ask me as the dash vac gauge is made redundant by the digital one in the gauge cluster. But then again, so would the Oil Temp idea.

OP
OP
sbrenskell

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day, Vacuum Gauges were to monitor fuel economy. The thought was the higher the vacuum, the leaner the fuel mixture; therefore, better economy.

But those were mechanical gauges that reacted to even the slightest change in throttle.

The Mustang dash gauges are fed information from the computer and there is a significant lag.

So, at this point, it's really just another whizz-bang Gee-Gaw to fill a hole in the dash. I suppose on the Turbo cars, it's a little more useful with the Boost information.

The GT's should've got an Oil Temp gauge there if you ask me as the dash vac gauge is made redundant by the digital one in the gauge cluster. But then again, so would the Oil Temp idea.
I might eventually change it out to something else. But I like the look of it because it changes colors with everything else. So who knows. Right now I just want my car back from getting Ceramic Coated!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The GT's should've got an Oil Temp gauge there
Totally agree.

For anyone wanting to do that: Its possible to get an oil temp by swapping in GT350 gauges. Its just plug and play since all gauge info is on the CAN bus. Some differences would be (1) GT350 gauges don't have MyColor so always white lit, (2) apparently the oil temp in GTs is inferred from other data because there is no actual oil temp sensor in the car. But Ford has been doing that for oil temp gauges for at least 16 years because my 2002 SVT is that way.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
You can swap it out with the gt350 gauges (oil temp and pressure) but you will loose my colour on those gauges if you have that option.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Basically, it's a pretty useless gauge filling a hole that should have had an oil temp gauge in it, at least in the PP cars. One more bad decision by Ford on these cars.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Does it allow any positive numbers? I have a vacuum/boost gauge on my 95 and it's fun to watch when the Vortech starts pushing positive numbers...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does it allow any positive numbers? I have a vacuum/boost gauge on my 95 and it's fun to watch when the Vortech starts pushing positive numbers...
GT PP gauges don't, but you can swap in the equivalent EcoBoost gauges if you want vacuum/boost.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST