I have a dilemma

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Looking for suggestions, or ideas that maybe I haven't thought of....here's the deal. I have the possibility of getting a job where I will be gone for 6 months at a time and back for a few weeks before being gone again. My problem is this. I owe too much on my car to sell it. If I'm gone all that time I don't really want to have to make the payments on something I will never get to drive. So, do I sell it for probably 10k-15k less than what I owe and figure out how to pay off the difference, or do I just keep it, make payments on it until I can get what I owe on it. Also if I decide to keep it, what is the best way to store it. My thought was I could find a storage facility where I could keep it safe, but that's just another expense. And if it's stored for 6 months or so at a time would I need to store it on jack stands and remove the gas? Would the oil be ok for that long? So many things to think about....any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I think it's easier to lose the money a little at a time, so I'd pay on it until I was above water. Store it on jack stands, battery out, with fuel stabilizer. If it's covered, that's better. You will have a very nice low mileage car to sell (or keep, if your job changes again) before too long.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
That kind of job doesn't sound long term. That's real tough to do over the years. So I'd say keep the car. Ever think of subleasing it? Those services exist.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I recently retired from the Marine Corps and my car sat for seven months at a time. I didnt do anything to it and it started right up each time (four pumps to the middle east). Gas was fine (no stabilizer used), battery was fine, and tires were fine.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently retired from the Marine Corps and my car sat for seven months at a time. I didnt do anything to it and it started right up each time (four pumps to the middle east). Gas was fine (no stabilizer used), battery was fine, and tires were fine.
Thank you. These aren't Ferraris.

Sponsored

edillen3953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot silver Ecoboost Premium w/PP
That kind of job doesn't sound long term. That's real tough to do over the years. So I'd say keep the car. Ever think of subleasing it? Those services exist.
Sublease a Mustang? Sounds about as appealing as subleasing a wife or girlfriend...

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sublease a Mustang? Sounds about as appealing as subleasing a wife or girlfriend...
At least that gets them out of your hair for a while.

aschueler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, 401a, MT, Guard, Ebony Int.
I have some limited experience here.

Back when I was single and in the Navy, I bought a really nice BMW right before a deployment. I was gone for about 6-7 mos.

I parked the car in my garage on tire protecting mats, battery protector plugged in. While I was gone, I was in a fairly austere place where I didn't have anything to spend the monthly car payment on anything else. When I got back, just like madweazl, I had this awesome brand new car waiting for me.

It was worth it. I reccomend keeping it.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
Would I find that under the Members Classifieds-Marketplace?

Sponsored

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

The mustang would be devalued due to wear and tear, etc. Can't wear out the useful parts of the lady friend.... Lol
Sponsored