Broken Valve/ Motor Blown

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The thing that Im honestly worried most about are dents/scratches on my paint. I used to/still do detail cars, so I'm SUPER picky about paint. Ive already ordered re-stock items to be able to polish/remove swirls. If there are deep scratches, dents, etc after they are done i'll be SUPER pissed...

That car went in there with not a single scratch. Im so OCD about the car that every time its washed, any rock chips get touched up, wet sanded, and cut/polished. the paint on that car is pristine... or at least was..

I dont trust anyone to correct paint on it other than me, but if it comes back needing to be repainted, IDK what I'll do at that point. Paint is never the same after you re-paint over factory paint..
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The thing that Im honestly worried most about are dents/scratches on my paint. I used to/still do detail cars, so I'm SUPER picky about paint. Ive already ordered re-stock items to be able to polish/remove swirls. If there are deep scratches, dents, etc after they are done i'll be SUPER pissed...

That car went in there with not a single scratch. Im so OCD about the car that every time its washed, any rock chips get touched up, wet sanded, and cut/polished. the paint on that car is pristine... or at least was..

I dont trust anyone to correct paint on it other than me, but if it comes back needing to be repainted, IDK what I'll do at that point. Paint is never the same after you re-paint over factory paint..
Did you take before pictures? The dealer was trying to tell me that my car already had those scratches until I shoved a dozen of pictures taken on their lot when I dropped my car off. They then admitted fault and repainted my car's rear end. 4 times... It came back worse each time. I traded it in the next day.

You're 100% right. Factory paint vs body shop paint are very different. Factory paint is a lot tougher and overall looks better.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Did you take before pictures? The dealer was trying to tell me that my car already had those scratches until I shoved a dozen of pictures taken on their lot when I dropped my car off. They then admitted fault and repainted my car's rear end. 4 times... It came back worse each time. I traded it in the next day.

You're 100% right. Factory paint vs body shop paint are very different. Factory paint is a lot tougher and overall looks better.
I do have pictures of before it went in just to be on the safe side.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It took me 50 years to learn not to stress out over tiny scratches and nicks in my paint that only I can see.
Good luck, and get them to replace your engine with a Ford Performance Coyote.....

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It took me 50 years to learn not to stress out over tiny scratches and nicks in my paint that only I can see.
Good luck, and get them to replace your engine with a Ford Performance Coyote.....
To a point I can agree. If it is a scratch or nick that I put on the car its one thing, but damage someone else puts onto the car I am not OK with.

Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I’m pretty ocd about paint and detailing. And I feel you on original paint but the engine would be my main concern. If you want to be ocd just go there and take big rolls of painters tape and go to town covering the fenders and fascia. Just curious did you have the car from new ? Baby it during break in ? I have a list complied of damaged engines over about a year from forums and social media.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I’m pretty ocd about paint and detailing. And I feel you on original paint but the engine would be my main concern. If you want to be ocd just go there and take big rolls of painters tape and go to town covering the fenders and fascia. Just curious did you have the car from new ? Baby it during break in ? I have a list complied of damaged engines over about a year from forums and social media.

Bought it brand new with like 5 miles on the odometer. Break in, it was babied for 500 miles, except for a few short WOT pulls.

Trust me, I’m ocd about the motor too lol. I’m dead nervous about how the car is going to be after I get it back. I’m praying that they get all of the wiring and parts back and don’t just do a quick hack job. There’s a lot to remove and put back...

Last edited:

65ACode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 mustang
Not only would the long block be preferable to you, but seems like it would be cheaper for Ford in the long run. Just the labor cost and time removing the one head off your old block and installing on the short block.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Bought it brand new with like 5 miles on the odometer. Break in, it was babied for 500 miles, except for a few short WOT pulls. .
Manual states to baby for 1000 miles, for those that argue otherwise super cars like the NSX do this process in the engine lab before the engine goes into the car.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
UPDATE:

Stopped into the dealer after work this afternoon. Adviser looked at me and (i could see the disappointment in him) told me that it wasn't even close to done. He said that the cylinder head is on backorder, and that it will probably be a week before they have a cylinder head to keep working on the car.

So far, the motor is pulled, everything is at the point where they can start swapping parts to the new short block and start assembling. I did not see the new short block there, but, they do have the old motor on an engine stand.

Pics:

[/url]29550529_10211451942270955_14584764_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29345738_10211451942590963_2122844979_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29341093_10211451942310956_912020250_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]29138063_10211451942110951_302828510_n by 08Sunburst, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is technically day 16(business days) Cant say that I am SUPER thrilled, but, the tech thats doing the work seems meticulous with everything that he does. All the parts are neat and organized, and it seems like he did everything he could to make sure the car doesn't get damaged while it is sitting there. Hopefully everything goes back together perfectly and there wont be things out of place, etc etc. Its also nice that the car is sitting in a corner bay, so doesn't seem like a lot of people would be waking by it, dragging across it, etc etc.

I am worried about the hood sitting on the roof though. It seems like the roof is about 90% covered, so ill make sure that i go over the car and pay attention to the roof and make sure its not dented or scratched. I cant imagine the roof can hold a ton of weight...

Just want my car back.

Sponsored

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
as long as the other head is cleaned fully, there's not a lot of places for trash to hide.

Id have preferred a longblock as well, but I've assembled a number of coyotes and as long as proper care is taken there's nothing exotic to them.

That said, I'm curious if they're replacing some or all of the lash adjusters, roller followers, cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners, oil pump etc since those all were along for the fun ride when that valve broke, looks like bits of metal everywhere

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
The hood on the roof would be making me uncomfortable, the metal is so delicate :(

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
as long as the other head is cleaned fully, there's not a lot of places for trash to hide.

Id have preferred a longblock as well, but I've assembled a number of coyotes and as long as proper care is taken there's nothing exotic to them.

That said, I'm curious if they're replacing some or all of the lash adjusters, roller followers, cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners, oil pump etc since those all were along for the fun ride when that valve broke, looks like bits of metal everywhere

I wonder the same thing honestly. I would hope they plan to change out the oil pump, timing chains, phasers, etc etc. If not it could be an interesting adventure..

The hood on the roof would be making me uncomfortable, the metal is so delicate :(
Scares me as well. Cant imagine that the roof can support the weight of the hood without flexing...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I would definitely inquire and ask exactly what all is being replaced. Only because as others have stated, once catastrophic internal failure occurs, metal starts getting bounced around inside of the motor and those particles are bound to be nearly anywhere.

Did the damage wipe the cams? Did it score the crank?

I’m really surprised Ford did not opt to just send out a new long block and be done with it - far less labor costs, far less room for any errors and eliminates the remote chances of the vehicle having to come back again for warranty re-work. Not that I doubt your Tech or Dealership isn’t capable of doing the job right - but when there’s that type of internal damage, it just really surprised me they didn’t send out a complete engine.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I wonder the same thing honestly. I would hope they plan to change out the oil pump, timing chains, phasers, etc etc. If not it could be an interesting adventure..

Scares me as well. Cant imagine that the roof can support the weight of the hood without flexing...
The roof can handle the weight no problem. The issue I'd have is any paint to paint contact. Like you said, the towels dont cover the whole roof.
The hood is pretty light, so the weight won't be a problem.
Sponsored