Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
My a/c stopped blowing cold air and it sounds like something is stuck because it doesn't blow air as much as it did yesterday. It sucks because I have 43k miles. I never noticed any odd noises due to longtubes and the procharger. I'm hoping it's not the evaporated and something else that's minor.
Any ideas?
Your situation is what I'm stressing about... I have a '15 and almost 30K miles so it will be out of warranty sometime this summer. If it is the evap core, it will be expensive. How Ford handles these cases when they know they have defective parts in perhaps all of the 15-16 Mustangs will be interesting.
Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
First my AC stops working now I got some sort of code.. got a service engine light on the dash.. jebus.

I hope they don't give me shit about my muffler delete.

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
This sucks. If the a/c isn't blowing cold air and something sounds like it's blocking the air, is that the evap?

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Mine went out at 23k, took two weeks to get it in for service locally. took it to the dealer Monday, got it back Wednesday, all they did was evacuate the system and recharge, tech said Ford would not authorize replacement of any ac components, which he said was the problem, he said it "locked" up due to a sensor issue, said ford knows about it, but they did not authorize tearing the dash out for any parts replacement
So you're saying the dealer changed a defective sensor? If so they probably needed to "dis" and "recharge" the system in order to change the sensor. They may also have added dye to the system to find any further leaks later.

Sponsored

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Have you checked your cabin air filter to see if it's plugged?
No I haven't, that's one thing that came to mind when it first happened. The parking lot where I work, and where my car spends 12hrs a day at, is made of dirt. Yesterday it was raining and I drove 5 hours which is when I noticed the issue. Today I turned on my car and The a/c was working again. I'm wondering if maybe that filter got clogged because of all the dirt then the rain. I'll check out the cabin filter tomorrow after work.

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Well mine is going back towards the end of the week, still waiting on new leather for my drivers seat where the bolster tore through the stitching. AC is making the "noise" again so hopefully can get them to fix it this time. Seems like now the ac runs all the time, whether the AC button is pushed or not. There is no change in load on the car, where before when you hit it the AC button, you could fell it engage, turn on.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
:frusty:10,000 miles. AC out for a SECOND TIME.
First time was 5,000 miles.
Last time they just recharged it as no parts available.
I demanded Evap core replacement this time.

Ford Service, We love you, but this hurts us.

Rant in 3, 2, 1, ...
This seems like a very expensive labor repair on Fords part.
How could Ford risk a new unproven design change in 2015 for something that carries such a high cost to repair?
This a responsibility of both engineering and management.
I am driving my 198,000 mile 2005 Accord with its perfect and very cold AC for now while my 10,000 mile 2015 Mustang has no AC a second time.
When I get the Mustang back, I would like to donate the Accord and its AC to be reverse engineered. (It was assembled in Marysville, Ohio).

Is there a career AC guru at Ford whose only job is insuring AC systems are robust and competitive with decade old US built Hondas?

The CAD 3D parts assemblies should be able to be viewed during engineering review with the quantified R&R, full recall and risk to safety data able to be superimposed or color coded.

Ford should have their own internal AC design bible by now.
The problem is not just a mechanical, metallurgical, or supplier issue: it is a fundamental example of identifying and managing risk.
Is the design difficult for suppliers to reproduce?
What is R&R cost if the part fails?
How will the part fail?
Are you set up for success? Or on the razors edge of failure?
I would love to listen in front row at the post-mortem meeting with engineering and the program manager.

How this exact issue is understood and managed, how Ford puts in place a system for identifying these risks in the first place:
this will define the coming success or failure of Ford.

Maybe the issue is not defining the solution; Maybe it is a bigger picture issue of defining the problem philosophically or holistically?
Are you designing cars? Or are you designing a system of exploring, defining, and managing a structure of relationships where the output is a company that can build not only cars, but also authoritative core competency.

Ford cannot continue to relearn this lesson over and over.

Rant over...
*edit, in case any Ford management or engineering reads this:
Yall did an outstanding job on the S550. Because it is so good, something like this stands out.
I (and the whole community) love each and every engineer, manager, assembly tech, you name it.
Outstanding work.
If any of you ever has a bad day at work, you are free to come do donuts in my Mustang anytime.

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
this issue is the reason i wont continue to own the car when its out of warranty.

Sponsored

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Just took mine in and they said that the pressure and levels looked good on mine and they didnt notice issues cooling. It is a little cool out today as well, mid 50s, so probably did feel like cool air. They got a camera and looked at the evaporator core supposedly, and they even confirmed there was a known issue with the evaporator core.

They didnt hear any noise from my compressor, supposedly, but when I got home I toggled it on and off a few times and I could heard some noise coming from it in my garage. They put dye in the system, though, so they can find it next time I'm in.

I also hadn't been running the AC since I knew it wasn't running properly, I should have turned it on the whole way there but I didnt think about it.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
this issue is the reason i wont continue to own the car when its out of warranty.
A bit extreme if you bought the car. It isn't cheap, but probably around $1000 parts and labor (mostly labor), may be cheaper. If you bought the car new you already lost a lot more than that, so going to a new car will cost you a lot more than the AC repair.

EDIT: Also assuming they don't replace it for free due to a known issue, may happen even outside of the normal warranty if they admit that it was a design flaw or they may give a large discount for replacing it out of warranty at least.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
was planning on leasing the next car anyway, now that i dont need to own my cars anymore due to a shorter commute.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
A bit extreme if you bought the car. It isn't cheap, but probably around $1000 parts and labor (mostly labor), may be cheaper. If you bought the car new you already lost a lot more than that, so going to a new car will cost you a lot more than the AC repair.

EDIT: Also assuming they don't replace it for free due to a known issue, may happen even outside of the normal warranty if they admit that it was a design flaw or they may give a large discount for replacing it out of warranty at least.
Ford knows there is a design/quality issue with the A/C evaporator, so it would be nice if they automatically extended the warranty on that beyond the normal factory warranty. Not holding my breath on that though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford knows there is a design/quality issue with the A/C evaporator, so it would be nice if they automatically extended the warranty on that beyond the normal factory warranty. Not holding my breath on that though.
Ford also knows there's a quality control/parts issue with the fn driveline vibe too - but guess what, they aren't doing a damn thing to FIX it PROPERLY and who suffers from it? The people like any of us who financed or plunked down cash anywhere from $30k-$70k+, with MULTIPLE visits to and from the Ford Service Center. The poor folks overseas, they're lucky enough to even have anyone being able to Service their S550s... they're in for 3x the so called "fun" when it comes to repair work...

Modern day Ford lacks not only quality control but also proper vetting of its suppliers parts being put into production vehicles.

Engineering isn't doing a damn thing - every thread I see on here regarding the very COMMON issues PLAGUING the S550 THREE MODEL YEARS IN - is the comment "Ford knows"..... what bs.

For someone having to have their vehicle down for such a length of time for an initial AC Evap core replacement then having to do it a SECOND time? I mean cmon now -- part being supplied is obviously JUNK and no wonder S550 owners are pissed - have every right to be...
Sponsored