Sponsored

Base System Install Video

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys and gals, I came across a video today showing how to do a basic speaker swap on the base stereo (doesn't shot the tweeters though). I just thought this would be a nice handy guide for those looking at how to remove panels and whatnot.

Yes this is in addition to a couple of the build threads, but for some, this may be a better visual representation.

[ame]
Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Great find. Thanks for finding it and posting it.

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I was looking for this. Thanks! Any recommendations for speakers and where to buy? I know nothing about stereos. The only thing I hate about my 301 car is the crappy sound, hopefully putting better speakers in improves it.

Whoa, just watched the video, a little more involved than I thought

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I am going to wait until Crutchfield comes out with a wiring harness and speakers adapters so that i wont have to drill or cut into the car.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I can't decide on speakers whatsoever right now. Most of the audio places in my city have issues with their sound boards, and I'm not going to buy something as subjective as a speaker based on user reviews. I need to hear it for myself.

Sponsored

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I like the price and sound quality of my polk db165s. Around $100 for a set of components

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I like the price and sound quality of my polk db165s. Around $100 for a set of components
Not at all a knock on your Polks as I would think they should be decent (I have Polk speakers at home and they're great), when I went to the few audio walls that did work, everything sounded better than what was in my car. :lol:

matholland618

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke, 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Has anyone actually done the upgrade? Was it worth it when pairing with the stock HU?

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I installed some components up front and coax in the rear today/tonight. Haven't had a chance to test them much since I finished at 1AM, but from what I hear so far they are enormously more clear and crisp sounding than the factory speakers. I am running Hertz Dieci 6.5" component fronts and Hertz Dieci 6.5 coaxial rear. I don't think I lost any volume, in fact, it might be louder as the speakers I put in are technically 3.3 ohms, not 4 like the factory speakers, and they're both 93db sensitivity which is pretty good. I ended up disconnecting the 3.5" mid range speakers as they just didn't sound as good as the new speakers. I may leave them like that, or upgrade them later, maybe. I did everything for my install as shown in the video, except I re-used the factory mount (cut the speakers out of them) for the fronts as well.

For some reason though, my passenger door handle LED does not illuminate any more. All the other lights on the doors work, but for some reason that crapped out. I might need to pull the door off again and see what is going on, but I KNOW I connected all the wires for sure, and they're all tight. UGH.
***New Edit*** I think I may have pinched a wire for the door handle LED. After playing around with it, it did illuminate when moving the wires around, then stopped working again. I'll have to check the wires and splice them back together if there is a broken section. My own fault I guess. The door lock LED which is run off the same connector works perfectly, so it must just be the wires leading to the door handle.

FYI, you NEED the hook picks as shown in the video, I tried little screw drivers and all sorts of things, nothing would get it out but the picks (I had to go buy some).

Last edited:
OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
FYI DO NOT USE THE FACTORY SPEAKER MOUNTS ON THE FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS! I did this myself and I didn't know why the bass sounded terrible on the front speakers. There is not enough clearance to mount a speaker on top, the speaker surround will touch the door panel.

Also use panel poppers, really help make the job easier.

Sponsored

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
FYI DO NOT USE THE FACTORY SPEAKER MOUNTS ON THE FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS! I did this myself and I didn't know why the bass sounded terrible on the front speakers. There is not enough clearance to mount a speaker on top, the speaker surround will touch the door panel.

Also use panel poppers, really help make the job easier.
What was the mounting depth on your speakers? I am looking at a 2.5 inch depth on the 6.5 inch front door speakers... Did you happen to replace the tweeters?

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
What was the mounting depth on your speakers? I am looking at a 2.5 inch depth on the 6.5 inch front door speakers... Did you happen to replace the tweeters?
Mounting depth on the front component is 2.8" on the Hertz Dieci 6.5" woofer. I had no fitment issues when I hard mounted it directly to the door. I ended up having to drill holes to screw the speaker into. My local audio places said they had no mounting rings...supposedly. Worked out well otherwise, I used double sided foam tape between the woofer and the door to reduce the likelihood of rattles and buzzing.

I did replace the tweeters, the A-pillar trim just pulls out, but mine was a bit "stuck" on the passenger side. I reefed on the pillar and it finally came out, smashing me in the chin...got a pretty deep cut from that. As far as mounting tweeters, some might work out with the mounting gear that comes with them. For mine I just used the flush mount piece for my tweeter and used some electrical tape on the outer diameter of the tweeter to press-fit them in. I will probably get an o-ring or use black silicone to fill up the small gap that it left, or if I am really motivated, see how far back I can push the tweeter in the flush mount piece and maybe put the factory tweeter "grille" back on. It doesn't fit as it is since my tweeter grill is dome shaped and protrudes out, but if I can push it back, the factory grille should fit in place.

I also disconnected the factory 3-1/2 door speakers and center speaker. I can't seem to get the ideal audio fidelity I want, I'm not sure if there is some crossover action happening and I'm losing out on some frequencies that the 3-1/2 speakers put out. Either that or the factory EQ just sucks hardcore. I may re-connect the 3-1/2 speakers and see if the sound spectrum improves - if so - I'll probably get some aftermarket 3-1/2's in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
FOR THE CENTER SPEAKER:

All you need to do is remove the aluminum trim, then the plastic section with the grille between the two brows on the dash. It is all push-clips, so just pull straight out and you shouldn't break anything. Remove the aluminum trim first, then pull up the speaker grille after. Check the clip holes for the little metal clips. I fished them out with an angled pick, I didn't want to have to tear apart the dash to retrieve them, so be very careful that you pull them out, and not accidentally push them down.

Some pics:
20150418_171827.jpg
20150418_170606.jpg
20150418_171853.jpg
20150418_171804.jpg

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
Mounting depth on the front component is 2.8" on the Hertz Dieci 6.5" woofer. I had no fitment issues when I hard mounted it directly to the door. I ended up having to drill holes to screw the speaker into. My local audio places said they had no mounting rings...supposedly. Worked out well otherwise, I used double sided foam tape between the woofer and the door to reduce the likelihood of rattles and buzzing.

I did replace the tweeters, the A-pillar trim just pulls out, but mine was a bit "stuck" on the passenger side. I reefed on the pillar and it finally came out, smashing me in the chin...got a pretty deep cut from that. As far as mounting tweeters, some might work out with the mounting gear that comes with them. For mine I just used the flush mount piece for my tweeter and used some electrical tape on the outer diameter of the tweeter to press-fit them in. I will probably get an o-ring or use black silicone to fill up the small gap that it left, or if I am really motivated, see how far back I can push the tweeter in the flush mount piece and maybe put the factory tweeter "grille" back on. It doesn't fit as it is since my tweeter grill is dome shaped and protrudes out, but if I can push it back, the factory grille should fit in place.

I also disconnected the factory 3-1/2 door speakers and center speaker. I can't seem to get the ideal audio fidelity I want, I'm not sure if there is some crossover action happening and I'm losing out on some frequencies that the 3-1/2 speakers put out. Either that or the factory EQ just sucks hardcore. I may re-connect the 3-1/2 speakers and see if the sound spectrum improves - if so - I'll probably get some aftermarket 3-1/2's in there.
Thanks for all the information. Did you use a 1 inch or 3/4 inch tweeter.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for all the information. Did you use a 1 inch or 3/4 inch tweeter.
Component set came with 3/4 tweeter. It was too small for the factory hole, but fit better with the flush mount ring that came with the set, plus the electrical tape to accomplish a press fit. I couldn't get the mounting retainer ring to fit on the flush ring because I didn't want to rip off the factory tweeter mount. You'll see what I'm talking about if you ever tackle it yourself.
Sponsored