Sponsored

MY2018 in the flesh

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
Went down to my supplying dealer yesterday, after I was told they had a MY18 on the floor (bog stock, no options, GT, canceled order).
I was really looking forward to seeing it 'live'.

My observations (what I was surprised\delighted about);

The digital dash graphics resolution is so much crisper than I thought it would be, having only seen it on YouTube clips.

The leather on the wheel feels premium in the hand, fantastic. So does the wrapped lid on the center console.

The SOUND, even in normal mode was EPIC, however, the quiet mode is super QUIET. I cannot believe it came out of the same system - that is some FORD black magic stuff right there.

Those quad pipe tips have a really BIG bore from the back, just like they should.

Tri-bar DRL's look wicked. I waited just for that really.

The front brake disc rotors are HUGE. Can only imagine what they weigh.

Sub-woofer in the boot doesn't take up any useful space (very clever), and is held in a TOUGH enclosure. Should protect it from a slab floating around under hard maneuvering.

275 rears look FAT (I was worried about that), nice big boots.

The bonnet flutes are functional (open to the engine bay), as heat extraction.

Some stuff I didn't like so much;

The panel gap issue has NOT gone away. This unit has pinch points in at least two places.

Paint quality was so-so. Lacked depth in a metallic (price premium) finish (Ingot Silver).

The un-painted plastic lower grill insert (underneath the gloss black main unit, where the 'Pony' lives), looks cheap and a mis-match on the front end.

No GMV on the compliance plate - is that even legal? Dealer didn't know either.

100f\105r load index tires (as compared to 96f\101r on the last model) - just a crazy step up in capacity- just HOW MUCH heavier are these new ones?

No hood struts. Why?

Floor mats in the boot (plastic bag), have no embroidery. I was hoping for a horse, or a GT, or something. Also there was that front licence plate holder. That ain't going on our car.

My last observation is that the car IS still an S550 Mustang.
Make no mistake.
Yes the front end is more 'focused' and aerodynamic, but its still the same vehicle from all other angles.

This experience has just increased my frustration, that I have to wait another 3 months to get ours!

Also, with no options, I'm yet to see the Recaro's and the Forged rims in person - looking forward to that.

He said there as another 12 units waiting over near a Perth Airport yard, for distribution. Someones day is about to get made.

Al.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I got to take an orange Auto for a short spin around the block yesterday, yep it goes alright and sounds awesome, but still like my 2016 tho.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you an existing S550 Gen 1 owner? I query as it seems you mentioned the 275's being fat, but that's the same as all GT's we've gotten

I'm excited to see one. I'd like to give the auto a go, though i doubt it could ever be enough to sway me from manual as i love them

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Are you an existing S550 Gen 1 owner? I query as it seems you mentioned the 275's being fat, but that's the same as all GT's we've gotten

Funny you should say that, when I was looking at the one yesterday, my dealer mentioned that " theirs something different about the rear end,
as the tires look bigger" and they are the same size,
when I go back today to pick mine up Ill, see if I get have another look and take some pics

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Must be a different offset or something that's got them sitting a little wider in the guards to give that perception?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
Hey Hornet, Nah, I don't have a Mustang (yet).
I had one on order in 2016, but the extra long wait list, and the fact that you didn't get all the US features (hood vents, power, etc), and with the new model info being discussed on here, I cancelled it for the 18.
Then I changed it again, when that order didn't include the forged alloys. This has now resulted in a late October delivery of an MY19 (not whinging tho, as it will have the Rev-matching and B&O Play sound).
I mentioned the tires, only because I thought that they weren't going to be wide enough. However, I should not have worried, as they do look solid.
I knew that the tires were carry-over sizes, but I had not really took notice before, and I was concerned that they would not have the big-boots feel I was after. I was investigating getting 285\35s, but they are out of the load index on the placard. Looks like 275\40s will have to do - with a $2k saving off the bat.
Not sure if the new wheel bearings off the GT350 have something to do with it?

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The panel gaps are normal for American cars made in USA. Even Tesla is built to that standard.
As for some of the things you mentioned above like tyres load index does not mean the car is heavier that it needs higher load index. Its just so happen that PS4S has higher load index.
The brake rotors and brake calipers are the same as 15-17 GT.
Tyre width front and rear also the same as 15-17 GT.

OP
OP

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The panel gaps are normal for American cars made in USA. Even Tesla is built to that standard.
As for some of the things you mentioned above like tyres load index does not mean the car is heavier that it needs higher load index. Its just so happen that PS4S has higher load index.
The brake rotors and brake calipers are the same as 15-17 GT.
Tyre width front and rear also the same as 15-17 GT.
Hey etbiru,
Yes, it seams that USA build quality is just not as good as some of the other places FORD manufactures their vehicles.
Our current car (Fiesta ST), was made in Germany, and it is very well made (for a small, cheapish car).
Could you elaborate on your load index comment please?
If its not heavier, then why does it need that much extra capacity in the tires?
The 15-17 GT was 96 index (710kg) front, for the 18 it is 100 (800kg).
Rears was 101 (825kg), now 105 in (925kg).
So index is up 90kg front and 100kg rear. Why not only half that, say 98 front and 103 rear (750kg, 875kg, up 40, 50)?, if it is just the same weight?
As I don't know the GVM, I am unsure of the payload, or how much it would need to reduce by, to run the alternative hoops.

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ford installed the PS4S because it is better tyres than the p zero not because it needs the load index to be higher. I think the kerb weight between 17 and 18GT should be very similar.

The load index that you see applies if you inflate the tyre to its maximum psi e.g. load index 108 = 1000kg at 50psi. No body would run that tyre at 50psi it would just be rock hard. So you will naturally have less maximum load capacity per tyre at 32psi but you have 4 tyres not just 1.

If you are carrying a lot of heavy stuff which you would not do on a Mustang, you should increase the Tyre pressure but do not exceed the max rated for that tyre.

I agree with build quality I have been in a Focus RS and the panel fit and finish was perfect.

My 17 GT panel fit is good and aligned properly so I was lucky however I have seen many at the holding yard with gaps not aligned e.g. bonnet to fenders gap.

I hope yours will come in perfect condition :)

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey Hornet, Nah, I don't have a Mustang (yet).
I had one on order in 2016, but the extra long wait list, and the fact that you didn't get all the US features (hood vents, power, etc), and with the new model info being discussed on here, I cancelled it for the 18.
Then I changed it again, when that order didn't include the forged alloys. This has now resulted in a late October delivery of an MY19 (not whinging tho, as it will have the Rev-matching and B&O Play sound).
I mentioned the tires, only because I thought that they weren't going to be wide enough. However, I should not have worried, as they do look solid.
I knew that the tires were carry-over sizes, but I had not really took notice before, and I was concerned that they would not have the big-boots feel I was after. I was investigating getting 285\35s, but they are out of the load index on the placard. Looks like 275\40s will have to do - with a $2k saving off the bat.
Not sure if the new wheel bearings off the GT350 have something to do with it?
Got ya. I wouldn't worry about the width, if they're Michi PS4S then you'll be very happy. The Michi Pilot Sport series in general have been amazing tyres and much better than the PZero's

Sponsored

GTCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XBGT Hardtop, XB Hardtop, 2018 Mustang GT
The local yard had an orange fury that had been optioned up. The Recaro's are nice but I don't see the appeal if you lose the cooling/heating facility. I don't know if I'm missing anything, but I think I'd prefer the standard seats.

The forged wheels were okay, but I couldn't see the value in the price premium we get slugged.

The car sounded nice and I was surprised about the boot space, it was larger than I expected and I thought the sub was well positioned.

That night I was curious about pricing and did a bit of searching online. Never expected I would be purchasing a MY18 auto the following day.

Very excited.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
$91 k retail to replace my 17 GT vert. That’s without Magnaride. Think I’ll be happy for while yet.
I like the better stereo, DTRL, quad exhaust and Digital dash. But they’d want 30 to 40 extra PLUS my car.
And the new safety features. What do we get in Oz? Blind spot monitoring, Lane departure,AEB?
Working Vietnam ATM. Saw Ranger pickup today with look a like Mustang tribar shark gills illuminated in headlight glass. Seen it on a Honda here too.
Good luck to the guys with the new cars. Look forward to seeing a few at next meet on return.

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
$91 k retail to replace my 17 GT vert. That’s without Magnaride. Think I’ll be happy for while yet.
I like the better stereo, DTRL, quad exhaust and Digital dash. But they’d want 30 to 40 extra PLUS my car.
And the new safety features. What do we get in Oz? Blind spot monitoring, Lane departure,AEB?
Working Vietnam ATM. Saw Ranger pickup today with look a like Mustang tribar shark gills illuminated in headlight glass. Seen it on a Honda here too.
Good luck to the guys with the new cars. Look forward to seeing a few at next meet on return.
No blind spot monitoring. Adaptive cruise is fairly basic compared with other systems also. It had auto high beam, I believe pedestrian detection etc though.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
The local yard had an orange fury that had been optioned up. The Recaro's are nice but I don't see the appeal if you lose the cooling/heating facility. I don't know if I'm missing anything, but I think I'd prefer the standard seats.

The forged wheels were okay, but I couldn't see the value in the price premium we get slugged.

The car sounded nice and I was surprised about the boot space, it was larger than I expected and I thought the sub was well positioned.

That night I was curious about pricing and did a bit of searching online. Never expected I would be purchasing a MY18 auto the following day.

Very excited.
How much extra are the forged wheels I was thinking of getting them for my 17 at one stage but really want 10 and 11 inch wide, pretty sure the 18 forged are narrower.

GTCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XBGT Hardtop, XB Hardtop, 2018 Mustang GT
They are a 2.5K option here. They are a $795 option in the US.
Sponsored