Sponsored

Mustang GT v. my new Focus RS

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
How is the ride quality? I heard it’s worse than my Focus ST was, which was already on the harsh side.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
How is the ride quality? I heard it’s worse than my Focus ST was, which was already on the harsh side.
Pretty stiff - but on smooth roads it's fine. Most roads around me are good, so its acceptable.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
nice car man, congrats. Not being a dick here, but dont tune that car until you get the head gasket addressed. Thats been a pretty big issue on that car since they came out, and i believe ford just got the fix addressed. Fantastic ride though. My legs are too damn long for that clutch otherwise i would 100% have one myself btw here is some good info on the head gasket i am talking about. The good news is there is a fix released so this video is a little late. The fix is out, so you will be fine if it hasnt already been replaced. Its just something you should be aware of.
[ame]

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
nice car man, congrats. Not being a dick here, but dont tune that car until you get the head gasket addressed. Thats been a pretty big issue on that car since they came out, and i believe ford just got the fix addressed. Fantastic ride though. My legs are too damn long for that clutch otherwise i would 100% have one myself btw here is some good info on the head gasket i am talking about. The good news is there is a fix released so this video is a little late. The fix is out, so you will be fine if it hasnt already been replaced. Its just something you should be aware of.
I think Ford has addressed the head gasket issue for the 2018s (at least that's what I've heard). Thanks for the advice - I'll hold off on any tuning for a while, but I should confirm if my car has the head gasket "fix".

There is a TSB for cars built between 2015 through July 2017. My car is a 2018 and was built in September 2017.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I think Ford has addressed the head gasket issue for the 2018s (at least that's what I've heard). Thanks for the advice - I'll hold off on any tuning for a while, but I should confirm if my car has the head gasket "fix".

There is a TSB for cars built between 2015 through July 2017. My car is a 2018 and was built in September 2018.
Your car was built in the future? Now that IS cool!

Sponsored

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Sweet ride! I had a Focus ST and traded it in on a 16 GT. Immediately missed my ST and the nimble handling so I traded it for a RS. Love the RS and a tune makes a huge difference in power delivery/consistency.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet ride! I had a Focus ST and traded it in on a 16 GT. Immediately missed my ST and the nimble handling so I traded it for a RS. Love the RS and a tune makes a huge difference in power delivery/consistency.
I traded my Focus ST on my '15 GT. I miss my Focus ST sometimes as well. It was really precise and tossable. I still kind of like the GT better b/c it still handles well and the power/V8 sound..etc. Plus the GT isn't my daily and I already have another 4cyl.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

There is a TSB for cars built between 2015 through July 2017. My car is a 2018 and was built in September 2017.
Yours should be fine.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I was debating Mustang and Camaro and then test drove a Focus RS and was sold. Like you I needed a backseat for kids and really preferred four doors as well.

This car is a blast, it is very nimble and tossable and can really put the power down. Ironically I traded in a 2016 Z51 C7 for it. There were a pile of 2017's for sale so I was able to get a crazy good deal ($4K off MSRP and over KBB for my trade-in). I made sure mine had the head gasket recall performed (and you are correct all 2018's RS's have the correct head gasket). So far so good with the car and about 300 miles.

Sometimes it is better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I was debating Mustang and Camaro and then test drove a Focus RS and was sold. Like you I needed a backseat for kids and really preferred four doors as well.

This car is a blast, it is very nimble and tossable and can really put the power down. Ironically I traded in a 2016 Z51 C7 for it. There were a pile of 2017's for sale so I was able to get a crazy good deal ($4K off MSRP and over KBB for my trade-in). I made sure mine had the head gasket recall performed (and you are correct all 2018's RS's have the correct head gasket). So far so good with the car and about 300 miles.

Sometimes it is better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow :)
Congrats - it's a terrific car and a blast to drive. Now the head gasket work has been performed on your car, you should be good to go. I also think the fit and finish on these cars is excellent - I am really impressed.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
This is one of my favorite cars on Forza Horizon 3. Congrats! Awesome Car!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Went to buy a 2018 GT with PP. Then my petite wife (5'3" sat in the back). Her head was less than an inch from the rear window glass and that kind of freaked her out. Why not sit up front? - because my string bean 13 year old boy may have to ride with us some time and he is taller than her. I was kind of surprised - there is more headroom in the back of my 2011 GT. So the 2018 Mustang was not looked upon favorably.

So I took a lap around the parking lot and saw a 2018 Nitrous Blue RS. The dealer was asking 15K over sticker plus $500 for "Protection Plus" and Door Edge Guards:lol:

So I said $500 under invoice and I'm not paying for your add-ons. After a little pushing, I stood firm and now this is in my garage:

But when I'm stuck on the I-15 in stop and go traffic, the RS will do just fine.

FYI - the performance package GT with the 6 speed is a great car - I test drove it - i'm jealous of you 18 GT Owners - but the back seat is for small kids or dwarfs
Looks like you and I are opposites. I have my RS for sale due to the fact that I am unable to track it like I thought. As a daily driver that does not need four doors, I am back to the Mustang and its glorious v8.

Possibly doing a convertible this time.

Congrats on the RS. It is quite fun when you can get into it in the twisties!

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Jeez you know this really came down to the wire for me. The Focus RS has been manifestation of what I have wanted since I was 16 and heard about the Ford's euro work in rally. For the last 15 years I've been filling this void with other AWD turbo platforms like DSMs & EVOs. Now the RS has finally came over.

Unfortunately, I heard too much about the rear end issues on the Focus RS. I can't really abide by a system that isn't true AWD all the time. Further more, the fact that the car isn't really prepared for the power level it's tuned at scares me. It doesn't really output 350hp unless you absolutely force it to do so. That's not really the mantra I've had to deal with on other, older awd platforms.

As far as the focus RS goes, it's the best AWD turbo sedan or hatch in it's price range IMO but it's not the best AWD turbo rally car of the last decade. That being said, there's no way I'd buy a used evo of any year, or used STI but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know I am compromising with $50k in an industry that should have progressed or at least stagnated. For that reason, I was more motivated to just buy a 2018 mustang gt pp1 for $36k. Ford aggressively progressed on the s550 platform with the twin-disc clutch, 16 injectors, higher compression, forged rods/crank etc.

I never once thought I would drive a mustang but the Focus RS caught my attention and then immediately directed it towards the pony cars.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Jeez you know this really came down to the wire for me. The Focus RS has been manifestation of what I have wanted since I was 16 and heard about the Ford's euro work in rally. For the last 15 years I've been filling this void with other AWD turbo platforms like DSMs & EVOs. Now the RS has finally came over.

Unfortunately, I heard too much about the rear end issues on the Focus RS. I can't really abide by a system that isn't true AWD all the time. Further more, the fact that the car isn't really prepared for the power level it's tuned at scares me. It doesn't really output 350hp unless you absolutely force it to do so. That's not really the mantra I've had to deal with on other, older awd platforms.

As far as the focus RS goes, it's the best AWD turbo sedan or hatch in it's price range IMO but it's not the best AWD turbo rally car of the last decade. That being said, there's no way I'd buy a used evo of any year, or used STI but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know I am compromising with $50k in an industry that should have progressed or at least stagnated. For that reason, I was more motivated to just buy a 2018 mustang gt pp1 for $36k. Ford aggressively progressed on the s550 platform with the twin-disc clutch, 16 injectors, higher compression, forged rods/crank etc.

I never once thought I would drive a mustang but the Focus RS caught my attention and then immediately directed it towards the pony cars.
Not sure I understand what you mean by the Focus RS does not put out 350hp unless you force it. It has a smaller turbo but very linear power delivery. Many people who are used to Evo's or STI's are used to turbo lag and the turbo building up spool and then delivering the power in a more narrow band. The RS is just as fast, if not faster than those cars but delivers power more linerally without all the turbo lag like an STI or EVO.

As for the AWD system it is brilliant. Much better than the Golf R I owned and I prefer it to the STI. It really does not feel like you are driving a FWD biased car. I totally get why people buy a Mustang but the Focus RS is just a much more practical car as a daily driver and actually has useable backseats. I have hauled 4 full sized adults in the car now sevearl times and you simply cannot do that in a Mustang or Camaro. I also live ina state where it snows 5 months out of the year so the AWD is very nice to have. You can also fit a full set of tires/wheels in the hatch for a track day.
Sponsored