Sponsored

The Photography Hangout Thread

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Can you guys nit pick my photos and my lightroom editing? 2nd time ever using my DLSR, shot with the 1.4 50mm lens from canon. manual mode but auto focus.

http://imgur.com/a/kKXdq

Got to check these out last night, in my very amateur opinion I think the shots would look better if you separated the subjects more from the fore/background. Some of the shots had a lot going on, multiple cars and people plus trees and various other objects.

What aperture were you shooting at? For a 50mm f1.4, you could get some super shallow DOF and awesome bokeh but I didn't see a whole lot of that in your shots. Again, just my amateur opinion.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Great thread folks!

Another avenue for me to spend time and money on something else :). Which is good.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
It seems the small buffer on the 7100 seems to be the most common complaint by reviewers. I do take a lot of pet photos and photos in low light conditions. It would be nice to save a few hundred dollars and get the D7100, but I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm searching for a new camera in a couple of years because I went cheap. Based on the large investment costs involved in DSLR cameras a few hundred extra out of the gate isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over.
IMG_0583.jpg

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
even on my d750, i rarely shoot above ISO 1600. 3200 in a pinch. Anything above that just creates noise you have to deal with in post.

My d7000 has the same buffer as the d7100. If you have fast memory, you can get 10-12 shots in burts mode while shooting RAW. That is 2 full seconds of shooting. You should be able to get your action.

Either way, the D7000-7200 is a great series of camera. Probably the most full featured DX for the money you can buy. You cant go wrong either way.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
even on my d750, i rarely shoot above ISO 1600. 3200 in a pinch. Anything above that just creates noise you have to deal with in post.

I do my best to keep ISO to a minimum as well, but I was very surprised to see how my 7200 handled ISO even over 10,000! I was shooting at my cousin's wedding at the reception and they dimmed the lights for toasts so without using a flash and already pretty slow shutter speeds I was limited with what I could shoot. I think they came out fairly good considering the available light.

7200 with 50mm f1.8d(older style lens), aperture at 1.8, shutter speed down to 1/25 or slower. Processed in photoshop with noise reduction(details set to 10/100 IIRC):

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
How do you guys feel about the kit lens (18-135mm IS STM) that comes with the Canon 70D? I want to upgrade from my current setup, a T1i w/Tamron AF 28-300mm for a walk-around setup. Most of my shots I use either my 40mm f2.8 or 70-200L f4 because they hunt less for af, but the lack of IS in both of my canon lens really kills me sometimes.

This is with the T1i/40mm combo
IMG_9882 by Kelly B, on Flickr

And this is from today with the 70-200L @94mm with a new Tiffen CPL
IMG_1973 by Kelly B, on Flickr

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
How do you guys feel about the kit lens (18-135mm IS STM) that comes with the Canon 70D? I want to upgrade from my current setup, a T1i w/Tamron AF 28-300mm for a walk-around setup. Most of my shots I use either my 40mm f2.8 or 70-200L f4 because they hunt less for af, but the lack of IS in both of my canon lens really kills me sometimes.
The 18-135 is ok, but not great. It's got a lot of barrel distortion at the wide end, and the stepper motor is better suited for video than fast still focusing, but overall it's a decent-enough kit lens. If you're looking for something better that won't break the bank, the 24-105L is a good alternative and has IS, and you can find some really good prices on it if you look around a bit. If you feel like something wider would be better for you, the 15-85 IS is a great lens as well, but it doesn't have as wide an aperture as the 24-105.

Nice shot, btw! I love shots like the second one, shot at a longer focal length. You lose all the wide angle distortion and it makes the front end look even meaner. As long as I have room, I'll shoot long every time.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Do you guys usually find yourselves using the LCD Display when capturing? Or do you opt for the eye piece? Pros and cons of using one over the other?

I know I find myself only using the screen, especially in low light because it feels like I can't see hardly anything through the eye piece vs the backlit screen.

Not gonna lie I usually hate Guard, but it looks great in those pics!

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Do you guys usually find yourselves using the LCD Display when capturing? Or do you opt for the eye piece? Pros and cons of using one over the other?
!
eye piece 99.99999999%. I only use "live view" if I am shooting video, and that is very VERY rare on my D750.

Live view cons are slower focus. But A pro is, the mirror is up, so you get less shake from mirror slap.

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
The 18-135 is ok, but not great. It's got a lot of barrel distortion at the wide end, and the stepper motor is better suited for video than fast still focusing, but overall it's a decent-enough kit lens. If you're looking for something better that won't break the bank, the 24-105L is a good alternative and has IS, and you can find some really good prices on it if you look around a bit. If you feel like something wider would be better for you, the 15-85 IS is a great lens as well, but it doesn't have as wide an aperture as the 24-105.

Nice shot, btw! I love shots like the second one, shot at a longer focal length. You lose all the wide angle distortion and it makes the front end look even meaner. As long as I have room, I'll shoot long every time.
That's kinda how the reviews are it seems. It's OK, better than its predecessor, but not something that equals a USM or even a good 3rd party lens. Hmm, I think I'll just buy a 70d body then look for a reburb 15-85 or a 24-105.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Diego Narwhal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 GT PP
The only time I ever use the LCD is when I'm doing astrophotography. I use manual focus and the zoom feature of the display to help me get sharp shots. Other than that, I use the eyepiece exclusively.

The biggest con of the LCD for me aside from it feeling awkward is that live view focus is much slower than using the eyepiece.
Sponsored