Sponsored

BMR CB005 stripped socket help needed.

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I'm attempting to install the BMR CB005 kit - one of the 21mm frame bolts is seizing up after a 4-5 rotations. I looked and can see some stripping that occurred on the socket.

I really don't want to make the problem worse at this point.

Should I try tapping the socket? If so, what size tap should I use?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Sponsored

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You are not the only person this has happened too. It happened to me as well. Those bolts are self-tapping and it doesn't take much for them to want to go in incorrectly and experience this issue. I ended up getting the IRS alignment bushings from Steeda that are made to work with this particular BMR kit. (two of the bushings are shorter work with this kit) The bushings will fit inside the part where the bolts go and hold them straight and then you can get the bolts going in correctly. They will still have more resistance than they should. I just put some grease on it and forced it in there. It went in all the way and torqued down, (and then some). It is certainly an "OH SHIT!!" moment, but it will work out okay. If you don't want to purchase the bushings right away, I would remove the bolt and see if you can force it to go in straight and crank it in there. The alignments bushings really helped hold that bolt straight so it couldn't go in crooked. It will be okay, take a deep breath, throw back a couple brews, and make it happen! Best of luck.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
You need a M14x2 tap to clean up the threads. You will be fine, has happened to many of us!

OP
OP

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Thanks guys - ordering the alignment bushing and M14x2 tap now.

I'll keep you posted.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys - ordering the alignment bushing and M14x2 tap now.

I'll keep you posted.
FYI - Don't try to run any of them down unless you can hand-start them several threads first. If you cannot, the subframe isn't aligned, and you may need to use a pry bar or other tools to shift it where it needs to go. The front arms should be done first, as they center the subframe well with how they interface with the bushings.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
FYI - Don't try to run any of them down unless you can hand-start them several threads first. If you cannot, the subframe isn't aligned, and you may need to use a pry bar or other tools to shift it where it needs to go. The front arms should be done first, as they center the subframe well with how they interface with the bushings.
This.

OP
OP

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Currently if I try to hand thread the bolt in the socket (without the CB005 parts attached), the bolt turns freely for 3-4 turns just fine. At about the 4th turn, it stops completely. If I try pushing through with a wrench, it just produces some thread dust and doesn't progress into the socket. I can see it is starting to strip.

My plan is to do as suggested and run the 14mmx2 tap through and see if that doesn't clean it up. (Amazon delivers it tomorrow)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Spray some brake clean up there or put a little anti-sieze on the bolt, see if it'll go in smoother. I've heard stories of the same issue when installing the CB005 and had to fight it myself installing one for the first time. You'll get through it... kind of scary. Alignment pins have eliminated the risk for me. I also always clean the threads of the blue bolts with a wheel so it's as fresh as can be and then stick a metal bristle wand thing up into the hole it threads into to clean that out, then spray it with brake clean. So sue me if I'm not supposed to, but I've never had an issue since.

I've also noticed, and this could just be a fluke, that nobody I've heard of has had an issue if they removed the blue bolt with an impact driver. If they unbolted it by hand all the way and in turn kind of twisted and pulled on the bolt as it was coming out, they did. Again, probably a total random coincidence but... never know.

Also, if you have an auto, make sure it's in N when you do work on the IRS mounting (and differential mounting).

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had the best luck loosening all four cradle bolts with an impact at once and jockeying the cradle around with a pry bar as needed once the kit and bolts were back in place, as things weren't lining up otherwise.

I knew I was going to be aligning it anyway, and it made the installation a breeze versus leaving one side tight and dropping the other.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had the best luck loosening all four cradle bolts with an impact at once and jockeying the cradle around with a pry bar as needed once the kit was in place, as things weren't lining up otherwise.

I knew I was going to be aligning it anyway, and it made the installation a breeze versus leaving one side tight and dropping the other.
This too. The instructions to do one side at a time I think are the primary problem as this is what I followed and the folks I know followed and it happened to them. I loosen all 4, one side more than the other and support the frame now. There's nuance to dealing with this IRS assembly with anyone's parts. Never as easy as Bill from CJ or the instructions say it is... haha.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I just got back in town to find the 14Mx2 tap had arrived from Amazon. I used a little cutting oil and the socket was back to normal.

I tried to install the CB005 with the steeda alignment kit, but no go. The front inserts for the steeda kit were too long and preventing the BMR front pieces from seating properly. (yes, I used the shorter ones in front and yes, I confirmed that the inserts were placed in the proper orientation.) I stopped using the steeda pieces and the install went smooth.

Even now that the CB005 kit is installed, when I hold the steeda front alignment insert up against the outside of the pieces they were supposed to go into, there is no way they would have fit.

Not sure how anyone has gotten the two kits to work together...maybe I got pieces from a bad batch?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Even now that the CB005 kit is installed, when I hold the steeda front alignment insert up against the outside of the pieces they were supposed to go into, there is no way they would have fit.

Not sure how anyone has gotten the two kits to work together...maybe I got pieces from a bad batch?
Which version of CB005 are you installing? The earlier one needs a shorter insert than the current version.

Supposedly, Steeda makes the CB005 inserts short enough for either which means the insert could move up and down on the bolt when installed in the current CB005 so your experience is strange.

Can you measure the short inserts you couldn't use or maybe even post a pic?

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
Stripped this yesterday as well! Ordered the steeda alignment kit and four new bolts. Will run a tap through the stripped bolt and replace all 4!

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Steeda alignment kit will do wonders by itself. It prevents the bolt from going in crooked. I would install both the BMR Cradle Lockout and the Steeda Alignment together always. Be nice if BMR includes something like that in their kit. (Hint, Hint @Kelly Aiken)

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting.

Mine was smooth as silk. Chalk it up to good luck I suppose.
Sponsored