Sponsored

BMR's "CB005" S550 IRS Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit - PICS & INFO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’m hoping it was just the cold pavement/tires that made the hop worse. It was in the 20’s.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping it was just the cold pavement/tires that made the hop worse. It was in the 20’s.
Oh yeah, no chance at not getting hop in the 20s lol.

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Good to know, thanks. This IRS stuff is all new to me. Much easier to fix traction problems on the older cars.
316C38E1-6724-4FFF-8EAB-81C841A68451.jpeg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, thanks. This IRS stuff is all new to me. Much easier to fix traction problems on the older cars.
Very nice!

One thing I was reading about last night is that asymmetric half shaft stiffness (via diameter) is an apparent help with wheel hop. The new ZL1 has this, for instance. Most of it in our car comes from all the bushing deflection in the suspension and subframe. The tires are a huge contribution, though.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Welp, this is one heck of an achievement for the CB005

[ame]

Sponsored

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
It's that time of year again! Don't miss out!

TeamCB005 To the Front!
2017 XMas Banner.jpg

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Just ordered the Vertical Links, Rear Lower Control Arms. 15% savings and free shipping, too good of a deal to bypass :headbang:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I know the rear lower control arms helped my 2014 3.7 w/ BMR adj. panhard bar. I need to research more on these S500 IRS designs, and yes tires matter & cold pavement, rocks on rocks. You bangie!

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I ordered the BMR low profile jack rails in hammertone black.

I'm going to wait to get familiar with the car in stock form before ordering CB005 and the 4 point K member brace. Hopefully I have the car before the next 15% off sale. Thanks Kelly!
I spend about a year and a half with a lightly modified 2016 Ecoboost base model. Added in most of the Ford Performance and Performance Pack upgrades, but none of it helped with that very unsettling rubber band feeling in the rear end I always hated.

I even installed the steeda lock out collars, while that helped a little with wheel hop, it didn't change side to side or forward / after deflection, only vertical (hence why it helped a bit with wheel hop).

The 2016 GT PP i recently traded up to seems even worse, probably because the nose feels heavier than the base EB I had before, so from my standpoint it seems like the noes goes wherever I tell it to precisely but the back end feels like it's doing something else quite often. Nor does it communicate whats going on with the tires at all. I've never driven a car that felt like that until the S550....

Just locking out the cradle makes the car far more predictable and the back end works with the front end like one would expect it to. It's almost as if the rest of the PP suspension upgrades are being held back by the cradle movement...all for the sake of some almost non existent NHV...which 90% is from the diff bushings (put in the black polys from steeda on the EB and it sounded like a bowling ball was rolling around in my trunk, diff bushings are a no go on a street car for me from a NHV standpoint).

I think the two best suspension mods for a street car are a set of progressive lowering springs and the BMR lockout kit! Those two alone completely change the handling of the car and make it far more settled, predictable and generally enjoyable to drive with no other changes. Sure, in some situations, depending on road / track surface, tires, weather and launch RPM, there's some wheel hop at times, but much less than stock, it's livable on a street car. Get stickier tires, launch at a lower RPM or just let it stutter a bit as it's no longer to the point where it feels like the rear end will fall off....

While I've never driven an 800~1000 hp car, I think even the stock GT PP has plenty of power to be fun and enjoyable and that's coming from having driven a modified EB that made 315 HP / 400 ft-lbs to wheels for a year and a half. The GT has power in ways the EB just never did even post modifications (FMIC, CAI, FP Tune, Ram Air Duct, Plugs, Radiator etc.).

So with this new Ruby Red 2016 GT PP I got myself for Christmas, I looked at suspension mods first before power adders and the IRS deflection was by far the biggest grip for a street / auto x car. Second is the stock PP springs / ride height, third the numb clutch (easily fixed with a steeda 35lb assist spring). Other than those three things, it's actually a really good car stock when optioned with the PP from the factory. Great balance of power vs. handling as far as modern muscle cars or mid sized performance sedans / coupes go.

But there's a few things that make the car go from good but slightly squirly to refined and precise. The cradle lockout kit is a no brainier for the price and effort required :D. This is how the car should have come from the factory...then again maybe they wouldn't have room to "improve" upon it with the 3rd refresh S550 in 3~4 years if it did...

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback!

I tell people on a daily basis, start minimal with our Performance Springs and the CB005 - and let's go from there.

A few simple mods really does go a long way!

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback!

I tell people on a daily basis, start minimal with our Performance Springs and the CB005 - and let's go from there.

A few simple mods really does go a long way!
I'm not sure what it is with Ford, but they must really be obsessive about NHV. The Gen 6 Camaro has a decent amount of IRS movement stock, but not as much as the Gen 6 mustang which is quite a bit more than one would think is necessary. That IRS really moves around on the S550 Mustang in factory configuration...hence why it feels like the rear end on a big rubber band...

If both vehicles have the BMR IRS lockout kits installed, IRS movement seems to be limited to about the same on both, which is very little: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450502

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Yessir! I was actually one of the driving forces for that car's Cradle Lockout design.

That was a fun part to design!

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yessir! I was actually one of the driving forces for that car's Cradle Lockout design.

That was a fun part to design!
Why they didn't do this from the factory is beyond me...even urethane bushings would have been a big improvement without adding much NHV.

Although to my knowledge the Mustang outsells the Camaro by quite big margin, so I'm wondering if there are far more people who buy it for the looks, name and nostalgia than actual performance.

That might explain why Ford put greater effort into isolating NHV than GM did because there's a broader audience which kinda sucks for those of us interested in a performance street car as the mustang's always seem to have some strange quirks that the competitors don't have (or not to the same degree) :doh:

Alas, at least the after market offers solutions that work, are easy and affordable to do and it's still a cheaper and better quality car. Great job with this one BMR!

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For reference the weight of the kit is 6.5lbs since someone asked how much it weighed, I had it written down on my spread sheet of "what things weigh" out of sheer morbid curiosity. The weight gain is meaningless relative to the mass of the car...especially considering the substantial benefits in both handling and traction.

So a base model GT would go from 3705 to 3711.5....I've eaten more food than that in one day's worth of time :-)

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
We have 4 different Vertical Link offerings. The only one that has been inconsistent with noises would be the Delrin bushing ones, which we've revised to help eliminate that.

We sell thousands of vertical links and the amount of customers I assist with NVH issues is extremely low compared to the amount we ship.

Next sale is in November. ;)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.