Sponsored

Places in MD or VA to legally test the car's limits

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hi all,

I've spent some time looking around at various race ways in the area, and am struggling to figure out where I could go on a Saturday and hit triple digit speeds without getting a ticket. An abandoned runway would be perfect :D.

Does anyone know of tracks, closed roads, or something to that nature where I can go and really open it up without legal ramifications? Looking forward to any tips/ideas. Thanks
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Skyline Drive in VA is a nice curvy twisting road around the Blue Ridge Mountains. It isnt somewhere you can do triple digit speeds, but it is a nice road to test the handling of the car with some straights you can power through too.

Reminds me of a race track, of course you are on a mountain though so dont push the limits too far lol, and there are cops patrolling occasionally.

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Skyline Drive in VA is a nice curvy twisting road around the Blue Ridge Mountains. It isnt somewhere you can do triple digit speeds, but it is a nice road to test the handling of the car with some straights you can power through too.

Reminds me of a race track, of course you are on a mountain though so dont push the limits too far lol, and there are cops patrolling occasionally.
Appreciate the input! I'll have to check those roads out. But yea I am more specifically looking for some big stretch of something where I can just punch it and get as close to the top speed of the car as possible without endangering others, or risking a ridiculous ticket!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the input! I'll have to check those roads out. But yea I am more specifically looking for some big stretch of something where I can just punch it and get as close to the top speed of the car as possible without endangering others, or risking a ridiculous ticket!
Yeah, I hear you. I would look for a 1/2+ mile dragstrip in that case. WannaGoFast does events in VA in the past I know.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Your best bet is the wannagofast event in Hot Springs VA. It'll be next year probably in the summer some time.

Sponsored

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Summit Point is just on the other side of the VA/WV border. Check the schedule, look for someone sponsoring a HPDE and join in. For speed you'd want something on the 'Main' circuit. For handling, the 'Shenandoah' circuit. I've never been on the Jefferson circuit and see no reason to (its small).

As for speeding on the BRPW / Skyline drive, you'd have to be an idiot. The 35/45mph limit on that road is often patrolled and they're (the cops) not forgiving. Also the number of sight see'rs and deer make it sketchy to do anything on.

10 years back I spent every other weekend at Summit. Though, I did it on 2 wheels.
BernT6.jpg

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Skyline Drive is Federal property. You'd be crazy to mess around on those roads. You get a ticket you go to Federal court and they don't f-around on punishments.

Same goes for parkways as well. Like the BW parkway.

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
thanks all for the input - signed up for wannagofast event notifications. that looks to be exactly what im looking for.

And noted about the Skyline drive - don't think i'll be chancing anything out there. I generally don't speed on public roads, except for the occasional speed burst here and there when no one is around.

I'll also be sure to look for HPDE events at summit point! That would be fun.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I go to skyline drive to carve through the corners usually once every month or two, I've only seen a cop twice. It's definitely not a road to do anywhere near triple digits on, but its a good road to feel the cars handling through all the turns and curves, even if you're close to the speed limit. Some straights that you can accelerate moderately through. To each their own though :cheers: Still a beautiful road that is worth driving down in any car.

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I go to skyline drive to carve through the corners usually once every month or two, I've only seen a cop twice. It's definitely not a road to do anywhere near triple digits on, but its a good road to feel the cars handling through all the turns and curves, even if you're close to the speed limit. Some straights that you can accelerate moderately through. To each their own though :cheers: Still a beautiful road that is worth driving down in any car.
Sounds good to me! If I head out that way I certainly won't be a dummy. Appreciate your input :thumbsup:

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For straight line speed, your best bet is to just look for some longer On Ramps, as those are usually a safe bet. Check out around the 395/495 loops, but obviously be aware of what time you go and traffic, etc.

I am constantly on the look out for some driving roads that are more windy/twisty. I can't seem to find any, other than out past Clara Barton Parkway towards the potomac area, but the volume of people and cars is discouraging.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
+1 on skyline drive and there are some roads around there that aren't patrolled as much. Although they are pretty strict. A couple years back on 2 wheels I got clocked by one and had the road closed off by another after I tried to run. Got $400 worth of tickets.

Illegally, 50 in Maryland is a good one. I've done 150+ on there late at night occasionally. There are long straights with barriers where there is no where a cop can be which is nice.

Legally definitely Wannagofast.

OP
OP
kh1818

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
+1 on skyline drive and there are some roads around there that aren't patrolled as much. Although they are pretty strict. A couple years back on 2 wheels I got clocked by one and had the road closed off by another after I tried to run. Got $400 worth of tickets.

Illegally, 50 in Maryland is a good one. I've done 150+ on there late at night occasionally. There are long straights with barriers where there is no where a cop can be which is nice.

Legally definitely Wannagofast.
Yea 50 is always so tempting - just nervous that I'd have some bad luck and get popped by a cop hiding somewhere.

Based on the above i'm definitely going to check out wannagofast when it comes back to our area.

Exikutioner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th Appearance GT
There is also Dominion Raceway just off 95. 1.5 hours south of DC.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I took the Mustang down to Skyline over the summer. Was a nice drive. As others said not really a place to speed, but even going the speed limit to slightly over it has enough turns and sites to be worthwhile. Had a bear dart across the road in front of me, which while startling, was pretty neat to see.

Rt 50 from Winchester over into WV is a decent road you can drive at a decent speed. Just get a good radar detector for when you hit WV and your golden. If you want to make a day long or weekend trip, run it over to 220 in WV down thru the Monongahlea Forrest. It's been about 2 years since I did that trip, but roads were in good shape when I went then. Very scenic and lots of turns and hills.
Sponsored