Sponsored

At the dealer in Ft. Myers today

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
I certainly don't disagree with your comments but if one does their due diligence the outcome can certainly be positive but as you mentioned it can be a bit of a crap shoot as well.

The key issue for me with respect to buying used high performance vehicles is based on knowing the original owner and being able to spend time with him or her in order to determine many important factors and that can be difficult to do when working with a dealership.

Having said that over the last ~6 years I have purchased 3 Pilot Production Boss 302's from the same dealership and did my due diligence regarding each of these cars and it all worked out terrific.

With the FMC being the only titled owner before me that helped immensely with respect to these 3 cars.

:cheers:
Yep. Due diligence is important.

And, due diligence also requires honesty from the other side.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Harry, I never had any interest in an old GT500 for all the reasons you pointed out. When the new one comes out, I hope my dealer will work with me. Otherwise, I'll take my time and shop around and enjoy the two N/A 350 R's in the mean time. I would never, ever, buy someone else's high performance car unless it was documented and I knew the history.

But that's just me.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Harry, I never had any interest in an old GT500 for all the reasons you pointed out. When the new one comes out, I hope my dealer will work with me. Otherwise, I'll take my time and shop around and enjoy the two N/A 350 R's in the mean time. I would never, ever, buy someone else's high performance car unless it was documented and I knew the history.

But that's just me.
Tom, totally agree with you regarding buying a used HP automobile.

Buying a used HP vehicle from a person like yourself or many of my other car buddies would be a no brainer but to buy one at auction or from eBay or from a used car lot just would not happen.

With respect to the new GT500 coming out I know it will be an outstanding automobile but on top of having forced air induction along with being quite heavy I have no interest in a new GT500 no matter how fast it will be.

Also, I would expect the MSRP on one of these new GT500's to be somewhat higher than any of our R models so any interested parties better be ready to part with some additional cash.

I am very happy with what I already have and look forward to my 2018 R coming in.

If it does not come in as a base R model there is a good chance I will cancel my order as I am not interested in an Electronics Package car but being old school that is just the way that I am. Keeping my fingers crossed that the narrow window in the Spring will work out for a base R model.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Tom, totally agree with you regarding buying a used HP automobile.

Buying a used HP vehicle from a person like yourself or many of my other car buddies would be a no brainer but to buy one at auction or from eBay or from a used car lot just would not happen.

With respect to the new GT500 coming out I know it will be an outstanding automobile but on top of having forced air induction along with being quite heavy I have no interest in a new GT500 no matter how fast it will be.

Also, I would expect the MSRP on one of these new GT500's to be somewhat higher than any of our R models so any interested parties better be ready to part with some additional cash.

I am very happy with what I already have and look forward to my 2018 R coming in.

If it does not come in as a base R model there is a good chance I will cancel my order as I am not interested in an Electronics Package car but being old school that is just the way that I am. Keeping my fingers crossed that the narrow window in the Spring will work out for a base R model.

They aren't making base R models? Did you already sell your 17?
I love my base...no need for that other stuff for my area. Wonder if they have a rundown of how many base cars were made for 17. I'm thinking around double from what were built in 2016. Mine in white, with blue stripes is one of the most common, but I didn't want any other look. Love it ...its a keeper

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
They aren't making base R models? Did you already sell your 17?
I love my base...no need for that other stuff for my area. Wonder if they have a rundown of how many base cars were made for 17. I'm thinking around double from what were built in 2016. Mine in white, with blue stripes is one of the most common, but I didn't want any other look. Love it ...its a keeper
Jimmy, I just brought my base 2017 R out after being in storage for the last 15 months and put on a couple hundred miles on it 2 weekends ago. I will be heading out again with it this next weekend and also on the Thanksgiving weekend all subject to weather. I don't have to tell you what a blast it is to drive these cars and always drive my car in Sport Mode.

Fortunately Ford is still producing base R models for the 2018MY but with October/November production now complete the FR plant will start up production for the R models in late February or early March with the last base R models being produced until March 31st 2018 after which time all R's will come standard with the Electronics Package.

At a recent Catholic Church charity event I had a young enthusiast take is Father over to my car and said to him, "look Dad this car goes up to 330 MPH" after which time I had to tell him that the speedo was actually in KPH" which he thought was still pretty cool. As you know the younger crowd really loves these cars.

Trust me, HR019 is not going anywhere soon and sounds like your base R is with you for a long time as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I see, good to hear, so no base Rs after march. I was thinking 2018 would be short and 2019s would start in late May /early June, which only leaves a few months in there where the base R isn't ran. I wonder why this is? Hmmm
Thanks for the info Harry! I'm surprised yours didn't get built already. I'm sure you'll make the cut off for a base!!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I see, good to hear, so no base Rs after march. I was thinking 2018 would be short and 2019s would start in late May /early June, which only leaves a few months in there where the base R isn't ran. I wonder why this is? Hmmm
Thanks for the info Harry! I'm surprised yours didn't get built already. I'm sure you'll make the cut off for a base!!
As of April 1st, 2018 backup cameras are mandatory on all cars so with that being the case the Electronics Package on the R models will also become mandatory as well next April 1st.

It may take some time but eventually the base R models will become very sought after based purely on what the car represents from a purist standpoint and probably more importantly the very small number of GT350's produced overall in this configuration.

:cool:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
That's right, my memory is terrible anymore. I remember something about the rear camera becoming mandatory a few months ago.
Thanks again for setting me straight Harry. Yeah, there will be more powerful, faster cars in the future but the 350R V2 will hold its place among the best mustang ever produced, I have a good feeling about that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Jimmy, I just brought my base 2017 R out after being in storage for the last 15 months and put on a couple hundred miles on it 2 weekends ago. I will be heading out again with it this next weekend and also on the Thanksgiving weekend all subject to weather. I don't have to tell you what a blast it is to drive these cars and always drive my car in Sport Mode.

Fortunately Ford is still producing base R models for the 2018MY but with October/November production now complete the FR plant will start up production for the R models in late February or early March with the last base R models being produced until March 31st 2018 after which time all R's will come standard with the Electronics Package.

At a recent Catholic Church charity event I had a young enthusiast take is Father over to my car and said to him, "look Dad this car goes up to 330 MPH" after which time I had to tell him that the speedo was actually in KPH" which he thought was still pretty cool. As you know the younger crowd really loves these cars.

Trust me, HR019 is not going anywhere soon and sounds like your base R is with you for a long time as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Trust me, it only goes 170 mph.....;)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Trust me, it only goes 170 mph.....;)
Never been up to that kind of speed and certainly take your word for it.

Only been close to 140 MPH while redlining in 4th gear and interesting to note that maxing out in 4th gear on my Boss cars I am doing ~125 MPH based on a 7500 RPM redline.

;)