Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if that was directed at me, but i never said the motor would be based off the diesel or that it would be iron. I actually said just the opposite. As for the heads, I would like to see a dohc 4v but unless you have inside knowledge I agree it's likely but I don't think it's a guarantee. A sohc head with 3v or 4v could flow good air and keep the dimensions more compact.

The 5.4 started life as a 2v. But I agree with everything you said the motor could possibly be. A 4v dohc head probably would not need dual spark plugs though.
Since it's going into the Super Duty only, dimensions aren't that big of a deal. It's going to be DOHC. You can do so much more with the calibration to improve drivabilty, emissions and performance when you have Ti-VCT.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Speaking of the 7.0L, isn't that rumored to go into the '19 Raptor as well? Again, RUMOR and if the 7.0 even exists.
The 7L is confirmed. There was union contracts and other paperwork.

Either way it’s confirmed for truck use like Bmac has been saying.

If ford wants they put it in this chassis or the next. Or not.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
There's twin charging in Ford's pipeline as well.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of the 7.0L, isn't that rumored to go into the '19 Raptor as well? Again, RUMOR and if the 7.0 even exists.
Word on the street is a variant of the '500 engine goes in the next super pickup.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Word on the street is a variant of the '500 engine goes in the next super pickup.
That would be ok by me, just give it some good brakes this time.

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I agree with those who say the 7.0 will not be in the GT500. I think the 7.0 liter will be in a Mach 1 or Boss 429 for those not so interested in the ultimate great handling Mustang such as a Shelby Mustang.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I agree with those who say the 7.0 will not be in the GT500. I think the 7.0 liter will be in a Mach 1 or Boss 429 for those not so interested in the ultimate great handling Mustang such as a Shelby Mustang.
Topnotch will have a case to answer if this doesn't happen.

tmhutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Cobra
I dont think that article specifically states its for a 6.2l. While its possible that this could be implemented on V8 engines, it would be more likely to show up on small displacement engines first, and probably not for a number of years.
GM made it a point to communicate that the technology "could be applied to engines with larger cylinder counts". I think the point is being missed entirely. This isnt just some novel idea, slapping on a supercharger or going for the holy grail of twin turbo, there are three unique and impressive solutions to more power that can't simply be duplicated by the competition:
Two forms of forced induction consisting of a blower for that low RPM grunt we all love, and a turbo for vastly superior top end power. Then taking it up a notch they are run off electric motors which means instantaneous/maximum boost at any RPM with a boost curve that is completely customizable and independent of engine RPM. The hits keep coming with an absolutely unique mechanism for running up to 16:1 compression ratio with forced induction. That alone would be any hotrodders dream come true. We can dismiss this new technology all we want and bury our heads in the sand telling ourselves it's just a patent and may never be used but we better hope that's not what Ford is doing because Chevy is in this to win it. Ford and Dodge better have their mad scientists working overtime.

In the meantime I salivate over the DOHC (thanks BmacIL for divulging the DOHC component) 7.0 slated for the F250+. If I have to I'll watch for one of those beauties from a wrecked truck and shoe horn it into the Stang :cheers:

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
GM made it a point to communicate that the technology "could be applied to engines with larger cylinder counts". I think the point is being missed entirely. This isnt just some novel idea, slapping on a supercharger or going for the holy grail of twin turbo, there are three unique and impressive solutions to more power that can't simply be duplicated by the competition:
Two forms of forced induction consisting of a blower for that low RPM grunt we all love, and a turbo for vastly superior top end power. Then taking it up a notch they are run off electric motors which means instantaneous/maximum boost at any RPM with a boost curve that is completely customizable and independent of engine RPM. The hits keep coming with an absolutely unique mechanism for running up to 16:1 compression ratio with forced induction. That alone would be any hotrodders dream come true. We can dismiss this new technology all we want and bury our heads in the sand telling ourselves it's just a patent and may never be used but we better hope that's not what Ford is doing because Chevy is in this to win it. Ford and Dodge better have their mad scientists working overtime.

In the meantime I salivate over the DOHC (thanks BmacIL for divulging the DOHC component) 7.0 slated for the F250+. If I have to I'll watch for one of those beauties from a wrecked truck and shoe horn it into the Stang :cheers:
Oh Im not saying it wont be implemented on larger engines in the future, Im just saying this isnt likely to be used first on a 6.2l in the midengine Corvette or anything. This will definitely be used by GM at some point, and these technologies are all already being used by different manufacturers, none of this is new. Its just new that GM is looking at it. Their primary use is smaller displacement engines and hybrid drivetrains, and thats likely where GM will implement them first. The point in time where this technology is on a performance V8 is quite a ways down the road (5-10 years), if at all in this configuration.
Sponsored