Sponsored

V6 automatic....was it a mistake?

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey guys,

I love my 2016 V6 auto (Sync-3, GT exhaust with Borla touring mufflers, leather seats, etc), but I think I'm missing something...a Manual transmission.:doh: The car feels great with the MPT tune, but sometimes it gets pretty boring, and I really miss the fun of driving a manual transmission. I heard some people say that manual transmission S550s have some throttle hang, which is not a big deal in my opinion.

Does anyone regret buying an A/T instead of a manual?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you commute in a lot of slow moving traffic in a Mustang, I wouldn't regret getting an automatic.

Otherwise, I would never get an automatic as yes, they are more boring and I prefer to shift. I don't daily drive the Mustang so an automatic was out of the question. I notice almost no rev hang in mine.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
i regretted it until i tuned it with Lund. Now im much more happy and i dont gotta deal with bs in traffic. Its just one of those things. I think i see more guys with stangs regret the auto then manuals. Is what it is man, but me personally, i dont like these cars as much as I thought i would to swap to a manual. Love the V8 but the rest of the car is replacement parts waiting..At least in my experience. This is my 3rd stang, and not much has improved over the years in quality.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
I have a V6 manual and there is definitely throttle hang. The MPT cut it in half but it's still there. Wish it had a cable and a butterfly...

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The S550 mustang starts in model year 2015.

In years from 2015 automatic beats manual in every way, performance wise.

Some may argue manual is more fun, but it's subjective and I think banging through effortless and efficient paddle shifts is fun as well.

I like torque multiplication and driveline damping of a torque converter, and I like that I have two shift schedules and two throttle responses to switch between.

I don't want my car with all bolt-on mods just to catch up with a stock automatic.

Yeah I'm starting a fight right here and I feel the cannons are aiming at me.

I learned driving with a manual and grew up with a manual, but I still prefer efficiency automatic for fast pace driving in the valleys.

Come on it's 2018 now, automatic is the future.

Sponsored

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
The automatic already has $1200 in "mods" over the stick.... For that you can get the Ford handling pack that will make fast paced thru the valleys more fun and a bit quicker and a whole lot more fun.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I like my auto, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed a manual too. I almost got one but my mom talked me out of it at the dealership. I do a lot of stop and go traffic so I definitely appreciate not having to worry about the manual.

Only manuals I've dealt with though were my bike and a cart at work one time.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The automatic already has $1200 in "mods" over the stick.... For that you can get the Ford handling pack that will make fast paced thru the valleys more fun and a bit quicker and a whole lot more fun.
I view that $1200 as the cost I pay for easy driving in city traffic.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I feel like you could say some of those things about the new 10spd....but i can promiss you, a properly driven 6spd will do just fine against a 6spd AT. And for what its worth, all the record holding 3.7s are MTs...because the only way you can leave as hard as a MT with a AT is to have a loose tq converter, and a transbrake. Which, most guys wont do. My MT car ran a 13.6 [MENTION=17112]10[/MENTION]4 on a mpt tune, intake and cat back with stock size tubing. And the DA was 3000ft. I dont see many guys running mid 13s with a AT and a couple bolt ons. Also...my best 0 to 60 is 4.9 sec, with those same mods. Now i have 373s, and a couple other mods but havnt been back to the track. If you like your at, great. But dont be spouting ns like you have to mod you car just to keep up with a at, cause thats just bs. If that is the case, you probably need to learn how to shift quicker.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
If i had to drive intraffic every day, i still would have gotten a mt, but it would suck lol. But i rarely drive in traffic so it was a no brainer. I would have considered a AT if i got a ecoboost. Its way quicker with a at because you can build boost at the line, and dont lose boost between shifts. But i didnt buy a eb, and i dont go drag racing much..i do alot of canyon running, and im sorry but a at would be just plain boring for the driving i do. Also, ATs put less power to the wheels, and weigh a little nore too. Just sayin

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Skip to 2:20 lol

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I feel like you could say some of those things about the new 10spd....but i can promiss you, a properly driven 6spd will do just fine against a 6spd AT. And for what its worth, all the record holding 3.7s are MTs...because the only way you can leave as hard as a MT with a AT is to have a loose tq converter, and a transbrake. Which, most guys wont do. My MT car ran a 13.6 [MENTION=17112]10[/MENTION]4 on a mpt tune, intake and cat back with stock size tubing. And the DA was 3000ft. I dont see many guys running mid 13s with a AT and a couple bolt ons. Also...my best 0 to 60 is 4.9 sec, with those same mods. Now i have 373s, and a couple other mods but havnt been back to the track. If you like your at, great. But dont be spouting ns like you have to mod you car just to keep up with a at, cause thats just bs. If that is the case, you probably need to learn how to shift quicker.
Well, if you'd like to talk about statistics, let's see statistics. From that point of view a sample amount less than 30 is generally regarded as insignificant and biased. There isn't many time posting about S550 V6 quatermile (pathetically 5 samples), but there are a lot for the ecoboost and GT. Transmission vs transmission, I don't see advantage of M6 over A6 on drag stripe application.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16741
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16739

Let alone the fact people only post best performance. AT don't make mistake as MT driver does.
A loose torque converter? What's that? Those people posting time with FI A6 don't have broken torque converter or transmission. I don't understand what type of launch can break an AT transmission rated for V8 application from factory. There is rev limiter to limit the maximum tq converter pressure difference impeller to turbine. I pre-load my torque converter nearly daily basis and don't see a issue with that. To properly launch an AT you have to load the torque converter.

Last edited:

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
If i had to drive intraffic every day, i still would have gotten a mt, but it would suck lol. But i rarely drive in traffic so it was a no brainer. I would have considered a AT if i got a ecoboost. Its way quicker with a at because you can build boost at the line, and dont lose boost between shifts. But i didnt buy a eb, and i dont go drag racing much..i do alot of canyon running, and im sorry but a at would be just plain boring for the driving i do. Also, ATs put less power to the wheels, and weigh a little nore too. Just sayin
Each engine gets its own shift map so the AT's shift schedule is always optimized for the engine's specific power band. NA V6+AT vs NA V6+MT, AT still wins on shift point as your personal experience can't beat the mathematically calculated optimum.

Less power to wheels? Let's view this from torque converter mechanism. The tq converter always has torque multiplication if the clutch is unlocked, and equal torque transmission when clutch is locked for controlled slip. There is efficiency loss through Tq converter though, but you gain torque multiplication. If with same wheel speed and multiplied torque, I don't understand how you can get less power.
Only thing I can think of is because the when Tq Cnvt is unlocked, for same engine speed you get less wheel speed. Due to the phase difference on engine hp peak and wheel hp peak, you may see a drop on wheel hp. This is only on dyno for a fixed gear comparison and it's actually biased compare as you can't control same effective transmission ratio.
But in real word, you should have upshifted already and pulled away from the manual car.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Old AT fails because they don't have enough gears to keep the engine on the best power band as the MT with more gears does. As long as the AT shift no slower than the MT, which our Mustang does qualify such, for same number of gears, I don't see the possibility AT acceleration can be slower than MT under same condition, from the powertrain model perspective.

For weight difference, might as well eat less hamburger and take off big rims.

For canyon driving, I'd like to be focused on handling and tip my finger for a timely gearshift. But, that's my personal preference and it's a subjective thing. As a powertrain control engineer I don't like to argue over subjective things.
Sponsored