Sponsored

Shelby in Snow

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If you are wondering how this car handles in snow, you dont need to wonder anymore. It handles superb.

Facts:

Weather: Snow started around 9:30 am and we had 6.5" of snow by 5pm and temperatures as low as 25F. It became very icy and slippery fairly quickly past 3pm.

Tires: Michelin Alpine PA4. 285s all around on stock wheels.

Slope of my driveway: 9 degrees (which is fairly steep). I measured using my tools - 7' level and a plumb bob and measuring tape.

Tests:

• From level ground, drive up on my driveway
  • Stop in the middle of my driveway, and start going again
  • Stop from 25 mph
  • Curve handling at 35 mph
  • Going down a steep turn
  • Go up and down my driveway about 20 times to make the snow very compact to the point it turned into ice. My wife fell on her butt trying to watch me twice. You can not even walk on tire marks now to the point I am actually wondering how the hell I am going to get 2+ inches of ice off tomorrow morning.

The car have passed all my unscientific tests with flying colors. Granted I haven't owned an AWD car in my life, SUV or Sedan - my comparison is really against all other RWD cars I have owned and driven in snow with snow tires. Those are:

BMW 2009 335i
BMW 2010 E90 M3
BMW 2014 and 2015 F10 M5 (Yes I owned 2 M5s)
BMW 2015 F80 M3

Of all these cars, E90 M3 was hands down the best car in snow. It was light, naturally aspirated, good LSD. I would rate that car probably 6-7. Following that is the 335i a rating of 5. The F80 and F10 were both marginal, probably a rating of 3 for both. I have had great difficulty in the M5 even though its a much longer wheelbase, heavier car. The problem was the insane torque down low. BMW also does not make a "weather" mode in their cars which is a huge problem in my opinion. There is no reduced torque/power in a true sense. Its more of reduced throttle sensitivity. Whereas with the Shelby I may be wrong but car feels like 200 hp. Plus the biggest difference is the ability to modulate clutch. Yes DCT allows starting from 2nd gear, but not from 3rd gear and it doesnt slip the clutch based on your input to reduce torque.

Anyways, all in all, I cant tell you how pleased I am with this. I know this is very unconventional. But I am taking all the precautions. I have XPEL on 50% of the car. I have 3 coats of sealant on the rest. I have sprayed the undercarriage of the car with fluid film (which seems to work because after parking I heard what I can best describe as soda sparkling noise) and I got one of those undercarriage spray things that I will use while the car is on jack stands.

Final statement : SUVs are so overrated. We dont need big ass SUVs guys. We dont need those houses on wheels (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, I am talking about those ugly looking cars). Good tires and a clutch pedal and a balanced car is all it takes (and not being an idiot and some common sense). Yes, if you get a subaru WRX and snow tires, you ll beat me. But anyone else with their all seasons? Good luck.

Btw, while conducting my tests, I have almost been hit twice by amateur SUV drivers (and MDX and a Cherokee). One couldnt stop and locked the wheels. The other panicked while taking a turn when seeing me coming from opposite direction and hit the curb sideways.

Hope this helps to others who thought about doing this but didnt do it because they thought a RWD 500+ hp car cant do it in snow. This car is meant to be enjoyed:)
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I loved when I had my Mach1 and it snowed. I'd see nothing but trucks and SUV's putting around and i'd just roll by with 2 Blizzaks in the rear and stock all-seasons in the front.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Final statement : SUVs are so overrated. We dont need big ass SUVs guys. We dont need those houses on wheels (Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, I am talking about those ugly looking cars).
Then I would recommend not buying one. To some they are a very useful, and effectively utilized, utility.

I appreciate the review.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I put my Nokian Hakkas back on black friday.

10/10 will winter again!

2016 yellow 5.0

The guys at my shop gave me a rash of crap last winter for driving my car year round. My brother inlaw all seasons his S2000 and convinced me to stop being a wuss and buy some snow tires.

Ill never go a winter without snow shoes again LOL!!

As for the guys at the shop well they get pretty quiet when i mention "sure see alot of SUVs and fullsize pickups in the ditch in North Dakota but zero yellow mustangs!" :lol:

Reactions: A7X

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Then I would recommend not buying one. To some they are a very useful, and effectively utilized, utility.

I appreciate the review.
agree. not trying to start a fight or anything, but a good driver is a good driver. an SUV doesn't make you invincible; it allows you to get over the snow bank at the end of your driveway after the plows have come and you haven't moved it yet. or when your at work and they plow around your car. or it melts and then freezes again - something that happens often on the edge of winter. or in the city where they don't plow the roads, ever. or pick a reason where ground clarance is a great added bonus.

not putting down the mustang - i went out the other day (naively) during an ice storm with the stock all seasons on and was all over the place > 10mph - and I like to think I know how to handle myself. but they both equally have their uses.

Do you need a suburban? meh... I knew a family that had one. they also had 6 kids and it carried them better then a mini van. if you can afford it - why not?

the mustang is fun and i love it; but now that i'm driving the RDX more - it's a damn nice ride / interior compared.

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I'd like to see you drive it in a foot of unplowed snow. My shelby is in the garage, I'll stick with my "big ass suv" hemi-powered Durango in bad weather.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, a few disclaimers before the forum police arrives and starts flaming me:

- SUVs are pointless for my use case. We only have one child. I don't have any elderly living nearby (my parents and my wife's parents visit us once a year each for 2-3 weeks). I don't have pets. I don't have to carry bicycles. I don't ski. The only time I need space is when I need to carry massive amounts of top soil or mulch from home depot and thats what U-Haul is for.

- I live about half an hour from Manhattan in a decent neighborhood. There never is more than 2-3" of unplowed snow on the ground where I live. Today I had to literally race against time before those big ass dump trucks with snow plows came in. And when there is even 1/2" of snow on the ground accumulated during the week if the trucks are too slow to clean, everyone works from home and schools are closed. I don't drive to work (only to train station/grocery/school all in 3 mile radius). So essentially you only drive in a pretty controlled environment.

Under my circumstances, it is a waste of money and more so than that missing fun time with the car you want if I own another car. This is a $59,000 Ford. It's not a 911 GT3. And I take care of my car, I do. I do take every precaution there is, I went to extra lengths. But I am not going to baby it. Life is too short guys.

I also have a neighbor who has 4 kids who drives a Suburban. I have a very close friend who has 3 sons (they are all high school age) who drives a big Acura SUV. I have a friend who skis exclusively every weekend and another one who has to ride his bicycle every Saturday and Sunday. If I were like these guys, of course I would get an SUV. My statement of SUVs are overrated was towards people who share the same situation as myself but are uneducated, ignorant, and buy into the hype. They think they are being safe by driving a 5,000 lb car that completely isolates you from the road by hiding all the feedback from you. They think just because the car goes, its all good but they dont know the second they lose control, its game over for them.

This is the problem with the westerner culture that thrives heavily on consumption. Someone talks about AWD and SUV, becomes a buzz word, suddenly everyone has one. The other day I was dropping my daughter off at school. I am waiting in line. I counted 22 SUVs around me and 1 non SUV (me). This is unreal. And when I mean SUVs, I mean those gigantic big ass Q7s, Mercedes GLs, Suburbans. They just look UGLY. They look like a fat man. When one rich guy buys it, so does the next one, and next one. It becomes the norm. Same with iphone X ($1450 with tax that phone costs! and it will be yesterday's news in 9 months!), then DSLRs, then GoPros, then this and then that. Before you know it, 8 year olds carry $800 phones and talk about "likes in facebook". We all grew up in a world mostly without automatics, let alone SUVs and AWDs. We all survived havent we? Nowadays everyone likes easy, convenient. Who needs to split wood and deal with a fireplace when the gas one looks and warms your living room just as good?

Last edited:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
UE, are you that goofy guy that lives in Jersey that used to drive around in the winter with a 15 GT vert with the top down?

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Well, a few disclaimers before the forum police arrives and starts flaming me:

- SUVs are pointless for my use case. We only have one child. I don't have any elderly living nearby (my parents and my wife's parents visit us once a year each for 2-3 weeks). I don't have pets. I don't have to carry bicycles. I don't ski. The only time I need space is when I need to carry massive amounts of top soil or mulch from home depot and thats what U-Haul is for.

- I live about half an hour from Manhattan in a decent neighborhood. There never is more than 2-3" of unplowed snow on the ground where I live. Today I had to literally race against time before those big ass dump trucks with snow plows came in. And when there is even 1/2" of snow on the ground accumulated during the week if the trucks are too slow to clean, everyone works from home and schools are closed. I don't drive to work (only to train station/grocery/school all in 3 mile radius). So essentially you only drive in a pretty controlled environment.

Under my circumstances, it is a waste of money and more so than that missing fun time with the car you want if I own another car. This is a $59,000 Ford. It's not a 911 GT3. And I take care of my car, I do. I do take every precaution there is, I went to extra lengths. But I am not going to baby it. Life is too short guys.

I also have a neighbor who has 4 kids who drives a Suburban. I have a very close friend who has 3 sons (they are all high school age) who drives a big Acura SUV. I have a friend who skis exclusively every weekend and another one who has to ride his bicycle every Saturday and Sunday. If I were like these guys, of course I would get an SUV. My statement of SUVs are overrated was towards people who share the same situation as myself but are uneducated, ignorant, and buy into the hype. They think they are being safe by driving a 5,000 lb car that completely isolates you from the road by hiding all the feedback from you. They think just because the car goes, its all good but they dont know the second they lose control, its game over for them.

This is the problem with the westerner culture that thrives heavily on consumption. Someone talks about AWD and SUV, becomes a buzz word, suddenly everyone has one. The other day I was dropping my daughter off at school. I am waiting in line. I counted 22 SUVs around me and 1 non SUV (me). This is unreal. And when I mean SUVs, I mean those gigantic big ass Q7s, Mercedes GLs, Suburbans. They just look UGLY. They look like a fat man. When one rich guy buys it, so does the next one, and next one. It becomes the norm. Same with iphone X ($1450 with tax that phone costs! and it will be yesterday's news in 9 months!), then DSLRs, then GoPros, then this and then that. Before you know it, 8 year olds carry $800 phones and talk about "likes in facebook". We all grew up in a world mostly without automatics, let alone SUVs and AWDs. We all survived havent we? Nowadays everyone likes easy, convenient. Who needs to split wood and deal with a fireplace when the gas one looks and warms your living room just as good?
No flaming here and I'm glad to hear the GT350 does surprisingly well in snow. I live in a nice neighborhood too but since it's a cul-de-sac it never gets plowed as quickly as the main roads, which is why I asked the question about driving in deeper snow - I wouldn't want to see what happens to the splitter trying to plow through the heavy snow we get around here.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
agree. not trying to start a fight or anything, but a good driver is a good driver. an SUV doesn't make you invincible; it allows you to get over the snow bank at the end of your driveway after the plows have come and you haven't moved it yet. or when your at work and they plow around your car. or it melts and then freezes again - something that happens often on the edge of winter. or in the city where they don't plow the roads, ever. or pick a reason where ground clarance is a great added bonus.

not putting down the mustang - i went out the other day (naively) during an ice storm with the stock all seasons on and was all over the place > 10mph - and I like to think I know how to handle myself. but they both equally have their uses.

Do you need a suburban? meh... I knew a family that had one. they also had 6 kids and it carried them better then a mini van. if you can afford it - why not?

the mustang is fun and i love it; but now that i'm driving the RDX more - it's a damn nice ride / interior compared.
My buddy has 3 children. So he could have gotten the emasculating minivan in all its splendor, or an SUV. He opted for an SUV...Good choice...For me, I have no kids, but an SUV would be certainly helpful at times. Even if you only use it to haul whatever rarely, it is a great utility when you do need it...I personally opt for full size trucks...preferably the kind that waste far too much gasoline for gratuitous reasons. I do prefer if the truck pumps out massive amounts of either black smoke or CO2, for I like to do my part to feed the plants with a heavy dose. Turns out vegetation loves the stuff.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I've had 2 Subaru Tribeca's in the last 7 years. Under rated SUV's. Really enjoyed them. Never put snows on them as the full time AWD meant that I never got stuck.

However last winter stopping was an issue a few times. No accidents but a few close calls.

Got tired of being the only person in a 7 seat SUV 98% of the time and missed "driving" hence I finally got a Mustang GT 6M. LOVE shifting gears again! And this car probably saves me $10-$15 a week on fuel compared to the Subaru even with the V8 vs the flat 6 in the Subaru.

Anyhow I've got 4 snows on the Mustang (no room for a beater car) and so far it's been great. No heavy snow yet even though I'm near Toronto

OP enjoy your Shelby in the snow!

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Being from Buffalo NY I can say I've seen some snow and ice. Unplowed snow depends on the snow. Typical wet heavy snow those fat tires would get on top of it. Now a really cold snow well below zero, the kind that squeaks when you walk on could be a problem if fresh or at night where top doesn't get frozen by sun light if it got more than 6 inches you would be plowing it. Any rear wheel drive will be better with 100# sand in the trunk. ICE is a problem without studs or chains skinny tires are best. Main thing is too be very gentle with both pedals.

Now if you come out from work and your cars frozen to the parking lot. remove the snow behind the rear tires, sprinkle that sand in trunk behind the tires for about 2 feet. Rock the car to loosen tires then sand will let you get some momentum to get moving.
You must also carry a foldable shovel.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Google
Tow Truck in a Box

Sponsored