Sponsored

Who else will be incredibly disappointed if the new GT500 has a 5.2 FPC motor?

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
With all the rumors of a big NA motor in the next GT500, at this point, I think anything less would be catastrophic for Ford.

They have already pushed away much of their Ford core enthusiast type with their EcoBoost push.

The 5.2 FPC is great for a car like the GT350, but GT500 needs to be a fire breathing NA monster.

With the Demon and ZL1 making their respective debuts, a supercharged 5.2FPC would be a joke, even if it comes close in HP to it's competitors.

In my opinion, Ford would need to announce something like a modern day LS7 variant if they want to re-establish and re-solidify who they are among American performance cars.

In other words, a big, naturally aspirated motor pumping out 800+ horsepower from the factory.

DOHC, Direct injection, cylinder deactivation, different fuel/octane modes.

It can be done. It's beyond doable. This isn't ten years ago. The LS7 from the C6Z made 505 horsepower on comparatively low tech pushrod over a decade ago. Then, take it a step further and ONLY offer a 6-speed manual transmission. The GT500 would take on a early Viper like reputation and since halo car profits are negligible anyways, the exclusivity of a manual transmission would be a huge middle finger to the internet crowds who raise their blood pressure arguing with others over the .2 tenths of a second difference between DCT and stick. Regardless, Ford isn't even close to perfecting a DCT, so why try - but I digress.

In my opinion, anything less than a big NA motor will keep the GT500 in last place. I'm hoping the spirit of John Coletti and SVT will come through, but unfortunately I think that spirit has left many years ago.
Sponsored

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
289 (4.75 aka 4.8), 5.0, 5.2 FPC or CPC with twin turbos would not disappoint me.
Supercharged would be a small let down in status and aftermarket tuning but performance could still be great. Some will argue better.

7.0 NA is awesome. Only concern, it would reach same road course market as GT350, not drag market to compete with ZL1 & Demon. 7.0 NA would have 650hp but "only" 500tq. Where as supercharged or turboed 4.8-5.2 could have 800hp & 650tq.

At this point starting to not care too many false reports and rumors. I say just make one of each and be done with it. lol

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Ford went to make a track car and made the GT350R. And its one of the best track cars you can buy in a NA spec.

Ford went to win at Le mans... they did.

Now if Ford wants to top the ZL1.. It will.

However I dont think ford will go after the Demon. The Demon is a niche car limited to 3k cars. They are going to end up in people private collections and will be a rare sight on an actual road.

Whatever the new GT500.. I am 100% sure it will top a ZL1 and Hellcat. It shouldnt go after the Demon though.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Can you tell me what Motorsports Class the Demon is running in..?

The GT500 is coming from Ford Performance Racing (FPR), so it will be a race car. Not a drag car. That is the Mach. And secondly, the ZL1 has what size motor and has what HP & TQ..? What is so wrong with the 5.2 Voodoo as a starting point for the GT500..? Why do you need so many cubic inches for a race car?

Take a Voodoo and add more revs, more torque, more horsepower & dual-injection + forced induction. Isn't a bad start for the GT500. Coincidentally, have you ever driven a GT350..?

I don't see ANY normally aspirated engine in the GT500, without having Ford's new dual-injection (DFI+port).

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
In my opinion, anything less than a big NA motor will keep the GT500 in last place. I'm hoping the spirit of John Coletti and SVT will come through, but unfortunately I think that spirit has left many years ago.
You realize while SVT was under John Coletti's leadership, they built

A supercharged lightning
A supercharged cobra
A supercharged Ford GT

Also, while building a 800hp N/A motor may entirely be possible, production cost and emissions come into play. SRT had hell trying to get the hellcat to be emissions legal originally.

I doubt it'll have a FPC engine. If anything, it'd be a 5.2L CPC which they already sell as a crate "Aluminator XS".

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You shouldn't let internet rumours get your hopes up. Would a 7 litre n/a engine be cool? Yeah, in a mine's bigger than yours scenario. Would such an engine ensure a Halo-Stang puts down better times/numbers than the competition? Possibly....but unlikely.

Ford has led the technology race, as far as I'm concerned. Of late, they managed to do great things with less cubes, and I don't see that changing.

If I were a betting man, I'd suggest a 5.2 CPC supercharged engine would put down better figures than a 7.0 n/a engine.

I'll be happy either way :ford:

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
With everything GM and Fiat are coming out with Ford is falling behind fast! I'm sure they're well aware of it and have something up their sleeve for the near future. I'd bet after this Demon craze wears off then they will slap it in their face... The Demon is a niche car and really not good for anything IMO. I know a guy that owned a Hellcat for 2 months because after the initial excitement wore off he realized it was a complete waste of money so he sold it before the market was saturated with them which happened quick! You can go to about any dealer and leave with a Hellcat right now. And from what I've seen many of the original owners have already sold or traded them in already in higher numbers than the GT350's at this point. I've seen 2 GT350's on used lots here and at least 10 Hellcats already... Even if the HP numbers don't match the Hellcat for the upcoming Ford offering I guarantee it will still be a better car as it will most likely handle better than anything Fiat can come out with. Their platforms are just too bulky to be considered a track car. They'd have to come up with something completely new. They brought back cars that were hot in the drag racing days and more people want a road course capable car now over a drag only car. I consider Ford and GM competitors in this race and Fiat Chrysler is just off in it's own little world.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
My hopes are TT V8. I'd be happy with CPC 5.2 or a refreshed all aluminum 6.2.
Either way, I think it should be TT.
GT and 350 are both NA, Roush is blower, give the 500 TT. Ideally, I'd like for Ford Performance to have the 350 as the track car, a blown Mach as the strip car, and a TT 500 as the halo cushy numbers car.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
These threads always make me so laugh. If ford doesn't beat the demon it will have a catastrophic impact??:lol:

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Doom and Gloom I tell ya! Funny how some enthusiasts feel that 662 (GT500) or 650 (ZL1) horspower is all of sudden not enough power. Some feel that "if" Ford doesn't produce a Mustang with the Mother of All Horsepower Ford will have failed and failed on a catastrophic level. :doh: Man this is the best time to pick up a fast a$$ car from Ford/GM/Chrysler. There is a car of every flavor and persuassion and at every price range for gear-heads. I'm definitely thinking about trading up for something in the future, it may or may not have a Blue Oval attached to it. But whatever it will be, it will be F.A.S.T.

Sponsored

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
With everything GM and Fiat are coming out with Ford is falling behind fast! I'm sure they're well aware of it and have something up their sleeve for the near future. I'd bet after this Demon craze wears off then they will slap it in their face... The Demon is a niche car and really not good for anything IMO. I know a guy that owned a Hellcat for 2 months because after the initial excitement wore off he realized it was a complete waste of money so he sold it before the market was saturated with them which happened quick! You can go to about any dealer and leave with a Hellcat right now. And from what I've seen many of the original owners have already sold or traded them in already in higher numbers than the GT350's at this point. I've seen 2 GT350's on used lots here and at least 10 Hellcats already... Even if the HP numbers don't match the Hellcat for the upcoming Ford offering I guarantee it will still be a better car as it will most likely handle better than anything Fiat can come out with. Their platforms are just too bulky to be considered a track car. They'd have to come up with something completely new. They brought back cars that were hot in the drag racing days and more people want a road course capable car now over a drag only car. I consider Ford and GM competitors in this race and Fiat Chrysler is just off in it's own little world.
Not so sure about the road course car versus drag car, Most everyone I know is more interested in quarter mile times than anything else. In fact I only know of a couple people who track their cars on a road course. Many who go to grudge night at the drag strip.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
Not so sure about the road course car versus drag car, Most everyone I know is more interested in quarter mile times than anything else. In fact I only know of a couple people who track their cars on a road course. Many who go to grudge night at the drag strip.
This is exactly what my friends and i discuss often. we all grew up with dreams of road racing, before we could ever build real cars...and ended up building fast street cars. Now some of us drag race, 1/2 mile events, and you cant forget highway pulls. A select few road race, but mostly the ones with money to spare.

guys dont talk shit, then go hit laguna seca to see whos faster. you hit the highway, or wait till friday night at the drag strip. drag racing is typically more affordable, and appeals to more people. almost any person in any performance car doesnt want to be walked away from by another manufacturers similar stock car at WOT, or any car for that matter.

thats why fast 1/4 times and hp figures sell. and even if you never ever race the car, more people will brag about hp numbers and 1/4 times, while almost nobody brags about lap times and lateral g's.

i pray the halo car is a car that makes great numbers, with room to grow. not a max effort bolt on deal that is on the ragged edge from the factory, just to compete with the demons and zl1s/z28s...and displacement will only help

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
These threads always make me so laugh. If ford doesn't beat the demon it will have a catastrophic impact??:lol:
I think it is because most fans don't realize that manufacturers don't keep score the same way aficionados do. Car companies don't really care who is winning the HP race (at the corporate level). Who is ahead and who is behind is determined by who is making the most profit.

Ford is not in business to make cars. Neither is GM, or Toyota, or FCA. They are in business to make money. It should be obvious. Where's Plymouth? Oldsmobile? Mercury, anyone? Pontiac? Anyone own a classic 2004 Camaro? (Dodge has cancelled the Challenger, not once, but twice!)

The Viper ACR had serious go-fast bragging rights. It was faster around the track than any Corvette. But GM beat FCA in the arena that guarantees the next model--sales. That's why there will be a 2018 Corvette. (R.I.P Viper)

OP
OP

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
I think it is because most fans don't realize that manufacturers don't keep score the same way aficionados do. Car companies don't really care who is winning the HP race (at the corporate level). Who is ahead and who is behind is determined by who is making the most profit.

Ford is not in business to make cars. Neither is GM, or Toyota, or FCA. They are in business to make money. It should be obvious. Where's Plymouth? Oldsmobile? Mercury, anyone? Pontiac? Anyone own a classic 2004 Camaro? (Dodge has cancelled the Challenger, not once, but twice!)

The Viper ACR had serious go-fast bragging rights. It was faster around the track than any Corvette. But GM beat FCA in the arena that guarantees the next model--sales. That's why there will be a 2018 Corvette. (R.I.P Viper)
What? You do know that Ford, Chrysler and GM all lose money on their halo cars, right?

They certainly don't build the ZL1, GT500 and Demon to make money off of them. They make their money because those halo cars bring new customers to the brand.

Joe blow comes into the Chevy dealership to look at that badass new ZL1 on the showroom floor, and then he drives home in a Camaro SS.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What? You do know that Ford, Chrysler and GM all lose money on their halo cars, right?

They certainly don't build the ZL1, GT500 and Demon to make money off of them. They make their money because those halo cars bring new customers to the brand.

Joe blow comes into the Chevy dealership to look at that badass new ZL1 on the showroom floor, and then he drives home in a Camaro SS.

Are there any sales statistics that support this idea? It always seems the brand with the highest performing model sells less of that model overall. When the Camaro was being beaten by the '11-14 Mustang(that also had the Boss and 662hp GT500) on the strip and track it still beat the Mustang in sales. Now that GM has the current top dog performance-wise it is getting beaten in sales by the(relatively) under-performing Mustang.
Sponsored