Sponsored

Over 1000 wheel 6060 swaps final gear?

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
What final gear are you guys running/ recommend for those that have done 6060 swap? I'm trying figure out best gear for driving around town plus launching at track.

Im running 3.55 rear now. At track I'm crossing in 3rd gear. Id imagine i want to be crossing line in 4th?
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Well I'm not over 1000...yet... and have not been at an official track..lot of street time but I went from the 3.73 to the 4.10 and it feels perfect. Going to have to do the math to figure it out. There was a 3.91 offered also but dont know if it is still available.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm not over 1000...yet... and have not been at an official track..lot of street time but I went from the 3.73 to the 4.10 and it feels perfect. Going to have to do the math to figure it out. There was a 3.91 offered also but dont know if it is still available.
4.10 isn't too much? I get a bit of wheel spin at track and a guy that runs 7's told me go with a taller gear. Sounds counter productive but he said it will help get the car moving off the line and less surge of power. I'm open to the idea.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Depends greatly where you make the power and what type of FI you have.

At track I'm crossing in 3rd gear. Id imagine i want to be crossing line in 4th?
If at all possible you should try and avoid going into any higher gear than you have to. The extra shift to 4th combined with the RPM drop and loss in torque multiplication will hurt your times. If you're able to stay in 3rd it is greatly preferred over going into the next gear.

So once again, it depends on where you trap. You don't want to gear down so much that you go into the next gear if at all possible.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=15869]EFI[/MENTION] the 6060 1 to 1gear is 4th so what was explained to me was that is the gear you want to ride out. As car sits i can do about 140 at 8k rpm.

I agree if i could use 1gear the entire run would be ideal no shifting. That's why I'm not sure where ishould be at gear wise. I expect to make 11to 1200 wheel on this new setup

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
@EFI the 6060 1 to 1gear is 4th so what was explained to me was that is the gear you want to ride out.
That makes no sense...right out for what? And what does 1:1 have anything to do with it? The only thing regarding 1:1 gears to ride out is on the dyno for consistency.

At the track, you want to be in your powerband in the lowest gear possible. Extra shifting loses time, so does being in a lower RPM and taller gear. If you can stay in 3rd and still make power when you cross the line, you absolutely should not be shifting into the next gear.

I would personally get the engine taken care of and then see where the power is on a dyno. Then based on that you should figure out your optimal shift points.

With all that information, you should take it to the track and see how it does and where you are crossing the line (what gear/rpm). Then and only then should you be setting your rear end ratio and based on what needs to be done (eg. need taller or shorter gears).

Otherwise you're just guessing on what you need based on others' setups which may or may not be relevant to you.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes no sense...right out for what? And what does 1:1 have anything to do with it? The only thing regarding 1:1 gears to ride out is on the dyno for consistency.

At the track, you want to be in your powerband in the lowest gear possible. Extra shifting loses time, so does being in a lower RPM and taller gear. If you can stay in 3rd and still make power when you cross the line, you absolutely should not be shifting into the next gear.

I would personally get the engine taken care of and then see where the power is on a dyno. Then based on that you should figure out your optimal shift points.

With all that information, you should take it to the track and see how it does and where you are crossing the line (what gear/rpm). Then and only then should you be setting your rear end ratio and based on what needs to be done (eg. need taller or shorter gears).

Otherwise you're just guessing on what you need based on others' setups which may or may not be relevant to you.
This is some solid advice! Thanks for sharing!

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Longer gears will also hurt your 60', so it's a give and take.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Not a 6060 but I have Magnum XL (2.66 first gear) and with a 3.31 rear end/28 inch tall tire ,I can stay in 3rd gear crossing the traps at 148 mph @7800 rpm .

Going to a 26 inch tires it will cross the traps at 144 mph at about same rpm

It did 60 better with the shorter tires as expected as the effective ratio goes up to 3.55(1.5 vs 1.6)but it is still a dog out of the hole though so I had another diff built with 4.10 gears I am going to try next year.

Went 10.03@144 with 1.5 60 ft so it needs to leave harder if I am going to get that 9.
Those passes were made without a 2 step but when I eventually figured it out it was blowing off the tires leaving at 5000 rpm .

The smaller tires are probably too small for the power(I am sure it's in the 900's) and weight (4000 lbs with driver) so I am going to try one more time with the 3.31 rear/28 inch tire and 2 step/NLT shift ,next year as going to 4.10' would mean shifting into fourth.I still feel one less shift had got to be worth some DT
I still need to figure out the settings for the Viking warrior or upgrade to the crusaders.
Sponsored