Sponsored

How many miles before a Tune?

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
So my 2018 GT has 450 miles. I was wondering what is an acceptable amount of miles before I Tune the car? Thanks in advance!:)
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
10 miles

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

So my 2018 GT has 450 miles. I was wondering what is an acceptable amount of miles before I Tune the car? Thanks in advance!:)
You shouldn't ask yourself how many miles until a tune. The more important question here is... do you have enough in the wallet if something breaks, because Ford could very well void the 'ole warranty. If you can answer that, you will know.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
ford cant void the warranty they can deny claims.. unlikely for a tune only. . you just want to run it it well enough to be sure no existing issues. im making sure NOT to take it easy on my car. this way if there is a defect i can find it now. ill be getting a tune after i change the oil. im at 4k miles, always in different modes and switching on the fly.. paddle shifting.. try to not baby it in any manner.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

ford cant void the warranty they can deny claims.. unlikely for a tune only. . you just want to run it it well enough to be sure no existing issues. im making sure NOT to take it easy on my car. this way if there is a defect i can find it now. ill be getting a tune after i change the oil. im at 4k miles, always in different modes and switching on the fly.. paddle shifting.. try to not baby it in any manner.
It's the same damn thing man. You know what I meant. Voiding the warranty, denying a claim. Same difference.

Ford voiding a warranty on the motor is the same as Ford denying a claim on the motor. They are voiding the warranty on your motor by rejecting you...

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'd only worry about the tune if the tuner is incompetent.

Safe to go a few thousand miles I'd say then tune away.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
It's the same damn thing man. You know what I meant. Voiding the warranty, denying a claim. Same difference.

Ford voiding a warranty on the motor is the same as Ford denying a claim on the motor. They are voiding the warranty on your motor by rejecting you...
its not the same,, claim is case by case.. void warranty means its gone no more claims possible. if you have a tune and then there is a crack in the manifold from a weak weld.. still covered.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
I'd only worry about the tune if the tuner is incompetent.

Safe to go a few thousand miles I'd say then tune away.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

I have a pretty good tuner here in Illinois...Dynotune MP. Had him work on a few of my previous Mustangs.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
You could tune now but I wouldn't dyno it just yet. The break in procedures are important for performance and longevity.

Some manufacturers sell cars with high performance engines broken in at the factory.

Sponsored

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
36,000 or when your 3 year warranty is up. Unless you are racing at the strip, a tune is not needed. A stock 2018 can probably smoke most modded 2015-2017 on the road!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I am of the opinion that if you are paying good money for a car, you should do with it as you please. If you want to tune it, tune it. I have been a lot happier with the car post intake and tune.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The distance from the dealership to my house was 6 miles. So for me, it was 6 miles. I'd rather break it in on a tune ;)

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
There is no good answer to this question. A better question would be when can your wallet support a tune should things go south and cause internal parts to exit stage right. That answer for me, within the first year of ownership. Happy modding.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
most people have their theories about break ins. the manual says "Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi" which is super vague. whats too fast? accelerate quickly or like dont got 100mph?
Sponsored