Sponsored

WGDC actual %

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Why do we data log this as one of the parameter on ascessport and why is it used for tunning.:cheers:
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I believe it's one way to tell if your wastegate actuator (or the spring used in it) is weak, which can allow some exhaust to bypass the turbo even though desired boost level has't been reach yet. For example, having WGDC of 100% but got failing to reach the target boost level will be cause for concern.

Check out the link below. Pictures are from a Subaru setup, but the concept applies for other turbo'ed applications as well.

HOW SUBARU’S FACTORY BOOST CONTROL SYSTEM WORKS

So if your actuator has 10 psi spring at 0% WGDC, you should see around up to 10 psi of boost as the actuator will start to open around that pressure (pre-load affects this, too). If you have too weak of a spring (like stock unit), additional pressure from greater exhaust volume at higher boost can also force the wastegate to open. This is the reason why they recommend getting upgraded wastegate actuator with higher spring rate at higher boost levels. For the same reason, not getting a tune for it can cause overboost situation, as stiffer spring will mandate different WGDC for same amount of boost.

Last edited:
OP
OP

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Bull run :thumbsup:

WOW..

Just when you get a grip on your plumbing and start to understand what your ecu is doing on the waste gate duty cycle there always more too learn.. I also would like to mention any extra pre load should we do make sure and I state make sure your Turner is on board not to over boost and over heat your engine..:ford:

Now we have pills and meth !!:headbang:

Any Betty fords around..:eyebulge:

Nice find..:cheers:

Last edited:

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Found it while doing a research on turbo lag mitigation. I believe the rule of thumb for actuator spring is half the target boost level. So around 12-13 PSI if your target is 25 PSI of boost.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10