Sponsored

Blow Off Valve for EB

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
Another thing to add. When you start adding mods and turning the boost up, the stock valve may not be able to hold the pressure and could possibly leak. Now this may not necessarily hold true on this platform, but it does on others. If this happens you will be forced to upgrade the valve.

Me personally I love the sound of both the HKS and Turbosmart Dual Port, both full VTA. It's not rice. I want my turbo 4 to make turbo 4 noises.
Sponsored

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
Funny how it's rice to add a bov, but not when you picked the v8 because it sounds better. Or all the other stuff that's non functional on the 5.0 lol. Be careful, it's a 4 cylinder so anything you do is rice. Rice is making a car look/sound fast when it's not……

Last edited:

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
The 15 EB Mustangs BOV is different from the ST's.

We will see a few of these on the market very soon.

JJ

Thanks mate. Info has been pretty sparse on it. Maybe I'll start bugging you when I have obscure technical questions. :D

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
My '98 Cobra had a Tial 50mm BPV vented to the atmosphere. The T-trim pushed a lot of air and the BPV was loud as hell. You can call it rice all you want, but it made 570whp and sounded mean.

The thing most of you detractors can't admit is the BPV is totally necessary on a turbo car, and like explained above, the stock one won't cut it in high boost applications. Plus, recirculating the air might not always work due to the volume of air, and where it's going back into the intake tract.

I remember people having an issue on New Edge mustangs with superchargers running a lot of boost. When they recirculated the air back in front of the blower, it would screw up the MAF readings. Blow-through and a VTA BPV was the best solution to the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KUgrad13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 1
Well I was doing a little research on this subject again this week and found this little product from Boomba Racing.

http://www.boombaracing.com/mustang-ecoboost-blow-off-valve-adapter/

I ordered one for my car and installed it yesterday. It sounds just like the one in the video on Boomba's website. I haven't had a chance to get my own videos yet due to getting it installed right before my family's New Years Eve party. I will try to get videos soon.

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
Well I was doing a little research on this subject again this week and found this little product from Boomba Racing.

I ordered one for my car and installed it yesterday. It sounds just like the one in the video on Boomba's website. I haven't had a chance to get my own videos yet due to getting it installed right before my family's New Years Eve party. I will try to get videos soon.
Sounds cool in the video. Nice price, too!

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang

I've been thinking of driving to their shop and grabbing one. Its still uses the stock BOV this just Vents it to air instead. I'd not call it much of an upgrade just a good way to annoy the V8 Mustang crowd..lol. Nice part is if it gets annoying just remove it but I'm going to save the cash and buy an IC.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
There are performance benefits to blowing off the charge vs recirculating on the ecoboost or any turbo car with a pre intercooler bypass valve. The ecoboost bypass valve is located pre intercooler, at tuned boost levels compressor outlet temps are 200+ degrees, when the charge is bypassed this 200 degree charge air is sent back into the intake tract where it puts a thermal load on the intact tract, compressor housing etc then is recompressed into an even hotter charge where it puts a thermal strain on the intercooler.. In a blowoff valve scenario this hot charge is released to atmosphere. boomba just released a bov plate in the vendors section and we have on coming for our car.

As far as the factory bypass valve design is concerned its traditionally a leaker we have seen similar valves to this leak on the BMW and Abarth. The main piston is made of a hard composite that doesn't seal well, we will be testing this on the Ecoboost and reporting the results on this forum.

An optimum system would be to vent the charge off to atmosphere pre intercooler with a large enough valve that will allow the compressor to freewheel, when this occurs the charge stalls in the intercooler and allows additional charge air cooling to occur.

Last edited:

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
There are performance benefits to blowing off the charge vs recirculating on the ecoboost or any turbo car with a pre intercooler bypass valve. The ecoboost bypass valve is located pre intercooler, at tuned boost levels compressor outlet temps are 200+ degrees, when the charge is bypassed this 200 degree charge air is sent back into the intake tract where it puts a thermal load on the intact tract, compressor housing etc then is recompressed into an even hotter charge where it puts a thermal strain on the intercooler.. n a blowoff valve scenario this hot charge is released to atmosphere. bomba just released a bov plate in the vendors section and we have on coming for our car.

As far as the factory bypass valve design is concerned its traditionally a leaker we have seen similar valves to this leak on the BMW and Abarth. The main piston is made of a hard composite that doesn't seal well, we will be testing this on the Ecoboost and reporting the results on this forum.

I never thought of that but it is on the hot side. Well now I have an excuse to head over to Boomba's shop and get one because its for performance! I look forward to what you find on the factory BOV.

Thanks!

Sponsored

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
There are performance benefits to blowing off the charge vs recirculating on the ecoboost or any turbo car with a pre intercooler bypass valve. The ecoboost bypass valve is located pre intercooler, at tuned boost levels compressor outlet temps are 200+ degrees, when the charge is bypassed this 200 degree charge air is sent back into the intake tract where it puts a thermal load on the intact tract, compressor housing etc then is recompressed into an even hotter charge where it puts a thermal strain on the intercooler.. n a blowoff valve scenario this hot charge is released to atmosphere. bomba just released a bov plate in the vendors section and we have on coming for our car.

Looking forward to hearing the news.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never thought of that but it is on the hot side. Well now I have an excuse to head over to Boomba's shop and get one because its for performance! I look forward to what you find on the factory BOV.

Thanks!
We have a Boomba on the way too, but will test the factory valve in the factory housing first. It's pretty easy to see if you have a leak by looking at boost ramp up pre and post fix and also by looking at wastegate duty cycle, if there's a leak in the system the wastegate will have to stay closed more(higher WGDC) to make up the pressure for the leak.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's an awesome calculator that you can see the effects of compressor Inlet temps on outlet temps as well as how this affects the intercooler.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

In my case what I saw when logging the car were:
40 degree ambient temps
21 psi boost
240 degree compressor outlet temps (on accessport)
81 degree ait (on accessport)

If you recompress this 240 degree air to 21 psi you get a 520 degree outlet temp and a 136 degree post intercooler temp:headbonk:, now obviously you are combining this hotter charge with more incoming air BUT you can see the thermal affect hotter inlet temps have on the system!

So estimating using the calculator we find that at 21 psi boost at 40 degree ambient temps the compressor is at 72% efficient and the intercooler is 80% efficient in this one gear
***at a certain point the factory IC thermal reserve goes away and temps start to rise quickly

The good news here is it seems there's still more left in the turbo showing a 72% efficiency and I've also seen roughly a 50% wgdc (low 60's% compressor efficiency and upper 80's to 100% wgdc is a sign that the turbo is being pushed to max)

Last edited:

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo
Here's an awesome calculator that you can see the effects of compressor Inlet temps on outlet temps as well as how this affects the intercooler.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

In my case what I saw when logging the car were:
40 degree ambient temps
21 psi boost
240 degree compressor outlet temps (on accessport)
81 degree ait (on accessport)

If you recompress this 240 degree air to 21 psi you get a 520 degree outlet temp and a 136 degree post intercooler temp:headbonk:, now obviously you are combining this hotter charge with more incoming air BUT you can see the thermal affect hotter inlet temps have on the system!

So estimating using the calculator we find that at 21 psi boost at 40 degree ambient temps the compressor is at 72% efficient and the intercooler is 80% efficient in this one gear
***at a certain point the factory IC thermal reserve goes away and temps start to rise quickly

The good news here is it seems there's still more left in the turbo showing a 72% efficiency and I've also seen roughly a 50% wgdc (low 60's% compressor efficiency and upper 80's to 100% wgdc is a sign that the turbo is being pushed to max)
Nice info, but don't forget that the adiabatic process works in both directions.

If you start with compressed air and then you release it to atmosphere it'll decompress and cool down again.
Sponsored