MPG at 75-80 MPH?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
If you read that post a little closer, that's exactly what I said...I said a normal car with a 6 speed has 4th at 1:00-1 :) The Mustang is the wierdo...
I am also the weirdo for missing that in your post. My apologies. :cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I can report back that my mpg came up a little bit the past few days because of slightly warmer temperatures. When it was 5-25 degrees, I would get 21 average. It has been 35-50 degrees the past few days and my average has gone up to 24-25.

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
Warmer temps this morning (mid- to upper 30's), and driving like a grandma netted me 34.3 mpg on the way in to work. The only difference between this and ~31mpg is the outside temperature and the amount of time I let it warm up. Pretty amazing that it could affect the gas mileage by 10%!

Also, as someone else mentioned, I have not reset the "Trip 2" since I bought the car, and after 5850 miles (as of this morning), I am averaging 31.1 mpg. I guess I either need to put my foot down more or turn in my man card.... :doh:

I do expect this to go down once spring comes and I start autocrossing the car!

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Warmer temps this morning (mid- to upper 30's), and driving like a grandma netted me 34.3 mpg on the way in to work. The only difference between this and ~31mpg is the outside temperature and the amount of time I let it warm up. Pretty amazing that it could affect the gas mileage by 10%!

Also, as someone else mentioned, I have not reset the "Trip 2" since I bought the car, and after 5850 miles (as of this morning), I am averaging 31.1 mpg. I guess I either need to put my foot down more or turn in my man card.... :doh:

I do expect this to go down once spring comes and I start autocrossing the car!
When you say driving like a grandma, does that mean 55 mph cruise control on?

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
When you say driving like a grandma, does that mean 55 mph cruise control on?

My commute to work is about 88 miles each way, 95% of which is rural and interstate highway. Of that 95%, I would guess that 60-65% is 55-65mph (posted), and the remaining 35-40% is 70mph (posted). I typically drive 5-10mph over posted, and use the cruise control as much as possible. My younger boy-racer self would be pretty disappointed in my current driving style, but it sure can be relaxing if you let it.

And, now that I have a capable (read non-SUV or 4-door family hauler) car, I will be autocrossing again (have been doing that for 30+ years), and maybe a couple of track days. I am really trying to hold on to my man card....

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
And, now that I have a capable (read non-SUV or 4-door family hauler) car, I will be autocrossing again (have been doing that for 30+ years), and maybe a couple of track days. I am really trying to hold on to my man card....
Performance may be defined in any number of ways. We tend to think of performance in terms of 0 - 60 times, but fuel efficiency is also a measure of performance. Indeed, increasing efficiency is one of the BEST ways of improving your chance at winning in the racing world. Check out this video from the always interesting Engineering Explained for how Mercedes responds to this impetus:

Look at it this way: extracting the maximum efficiency out of your EcoBoost during daily driving saves you the money you can then use to have fun with the car at the track. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

16EBPPAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP Auto Yellow
PP Economy

Last fall, we did a 6-700 mile road trip. Saw about 24MPG. Seemed low as that was almost pure highway other than rest stops and fuel. The first part of the trip out was late at night so, for the most part, not much traffic to deal with.

Just got back from a 2400+ mile trip and MPG was over 26. The main difference was the second trip we had the snow tires on. Smaller 18" rims, and the tire combo is about 50 lbs / corner which is much less than the stock PP set.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with the fuel economy.

One of the things I learned is at least with a manual transmission, the fat pedal in the middle is probably has the biggest impact on fuel economy. Although not the Mustang, I was most shocked after driving in sporty mode in the mountains. I expected that going through nearly an entire tank of fuel I was going to see one of the lowest numbers, the reality was it was nearly one of the highest. I equate this to somewhat low top speeds, and not much braking.

melonhugh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I got 27mpg at 75-80 on highway, and 19mpg in the city with a lot traffic. I do love this ecoboost engine.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
2015 EB Premium Auto, FP Tuned, Mishi IC, 19x10 with 285/35 Firestone Indy500. All else stock. Here's some numbers over the past few days.

26.5MPG - 1/4 city driving back and forth to work 10 miles each way, 3/4 driving Florida Turnpike/US 27 between Orlando and Homestead at 70-75MPH average speed.

31.4MPG - Highest ever average over a full tank since purchasing this car in 9/2015. Just did this over the weekend, filled up on 1/14 at Tom Thumb in Homestead, drove all over the Keys while staying in Islamorada. Never exceeded 65MPH the entire tank, only 1 or 2 WOT pulls.

28.5MPG - Filled up on 1/16 in Florida City, drove the Turnpike/95/595 to Ft. Lauderdale through early rush traffic around Miami, then A1A from Ft. Lauderdale to Vero Beach. First part of the trip averaged 70-75MPH, quite a few WOT bursts through traffic, then a nice 30-40MPH slow roll along the beach.

23.1MPG - Average over the last 14,682 miles tracked on Fuelly. 78% city 22% highway driving, 650 gallons at a cost of $1,763 over 47 fuel-ups.

Reactions: Ebm

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
My new enjoyment (I'm easily amused) is to fill up the tank, pull out of the gas station and not reset the mpg counter until I am going downhill and can take my foot off the gas pedal completely. The last time I did that, I saw 312.4 mpg. Unfortunately, even tipping into the throttle very slightly drops the average by a couple hundred mpg....

Sponsored

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
As someone mentioned earlier, with warmer temps comes higher mpg! Note that I have over 100 miles on this tank, and a combined range of over 500 miles. I promise I am not trying to hyper-mile, and doing my best to NOT drive like a grandma/nun....

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Dallas to Orlando - 84mph, 27.1mpg
70mph: 30.2mpg
Repeated over 6+ tanks.
50+k miles
93 octane
X4 tune

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Most of my driving is on fairly flat terrain at sea level in my region of the US.

I've measured by resetting the trip meter while I'm up to speed, with the cruise control on most of the time. I've done several runs of at least 5-10 miles at speed in varying wind and temperature conditions, in addition to longer trips. When I've measured, I'm not drafting off of the back of a tractor trailer or anything and it's usually just me in the car with the tire pressures set at factory specs (32 PSI cold). Running 93 octane on a stock tune EB PP with the 3.55 and 6MT, and no other mods other than those in my signature, I find that:

60 MPH nets ~35-38 MPG
65 MPH nets ~34-36 MPG
70 MPH nets ~31-34 MPG
75 MPH nets ~29-31 MPG
80 MPH nets ~28-29 MPG
85 MPH nets ~26-28 MPG (I don't have many chances to drive this fast for distances long enough to be confident in estimating a long-term average)

Based on my experience, a headwind of 5-10 MPH causes you to lose about 1-3 MPG from the averages I listed depending on the speed. Running A/C doesn't really impact it by a large extent (might cause a ~1 MPG loss in the heat) in my experience. A/C is a lot more efficient than in older vehicles I've driven.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Doing 75 on the way to work in the morning nets me roughly 18.5-19 MPG with winter tires.

When it was summer, and I had my 305's on that same trip would be about 23 MPG.
Sponsored