Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Here's a look into the clay and digital modeling process that Ford undertook for the 2015 Mustang.

Thanks to Ford clay modeler, Josue Maldonado, for the great demo!

2015 mustang modeling-15.jpg

2015 mustang modeling.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-2.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-3.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-4.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-6.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-7.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-8.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-16.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-9.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-10.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-11.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-13.jpg

2015 mustang modeling-17.jpg
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm really digging that little scoop between the hood and grille.

I also like the 3D effects to the rear tailpipes.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Is that chazcron on the PC? :)

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
I'm really digging that little scoop between the hood and grille.

I also like the 3D effects to the rear tailpipes.

I just like that whole diffuser much better. I wonder why they didnt go with this design instead...although im sure aftermarket companies will be all over this shortly after it hits show rooms

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I love these sketches..........all the angles and creases turned up 20%. Sure, the big wheels help, but this just looks so much........more

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I just like that whole diffuser much better. I wonder why they didnt go with this design instead...although im sure aftermarket companies will be all over this shortly after it hits show rooms
Imagine what the Camaro guys would have claimed if that "mailslot" appeared on the Mustang. Now, of it was functional, that would be a different story.

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I love these sketches..........all the angles and creases turned up 20%. Sure, the big wheels help, but this just looks so much........more
Then it would be a cartoon like the Camaro. Subtlety goes a long way toward making a volume vehicle a classic. The original Mustang is proof. Maybe they aren't trying to create a classic (I think they might have, though), but going wild on the details would doom the car for long-term sales, as the basic body shape has to last about ten years. Besides, it's great to see the level of sophistication and restraint in the new design. Making it appeal to fifteen-year olds would make many fortysomethings like me look elsewhere. Ford did exactly the right thing to keep the appeal broad.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Then it would be a cartoon like the Camaro. Subtlety goes a long way toward making a volume vehicle a classic. The original Mustang is proof. Maybe they aren't trying to create a classic (I think they might have, though), but going wild on the details would doom the car for long-term sales, as the basic body shape has to last about ten years. Besides, it's great to see the level of sophistication and restraint in the new design. Making it appeal to fifteen-year olds would make many fortysomethings like me look elsewhere. Ford did exactly the right thing to keep the appeal broad.
I'm a fortysomething, too............and it appeals to me ;)

I suspect we may see more along these lines for the first refresh, whenever that may be. Original sketches for S197 looked very much like the 2010 refresh, so it's almost as if Ford hold back a little at first, let everyone get used to the new design, then give us more along the lines of what the designers first envisaged for the refresh.

I love S550 as it is, but many seem sad that the Mustang isn't quite so "in your face" as the S197 was. This would go some way to addressing that :)

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm a fortysomething, too............and it appeals to me ;)

I suspect we may see more along these lines for the first refresh, whenever that may be. Original sketches for S197 looked very much like the 2010 refresh, so it's almost as if Ford hold back a little at first, let everyone get used to the new design, then give us more along the lines of what the designers first envisaged for the refresh.

I love S550 as it is, but many seem sad that the Mustang isn't quite so "in your face" as the S197 was. This would go some way to addressing that :)
I agree that they may tart up the design as an update. Hopefully it's more Aston chic than Camaro silly. First refresh is likely 2020. By then, the sales numbers (of the Mustang versus competitors) will have told Ford the appropriate direction. I think the sketches lack a reasonable level of sophistication. Are they cool? Sure. Well drawn? Absolutely. But, I wouldn't want to be driving something that looks so juvenile.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Juvenile to you, aggressive to me. Each to their own, eh :thumbsup:

But 2020 for a refresh? That seems a long way off. Aren't Ford due to be refreshing every 3 years or so now? I know the first iteration of S197 lasted 5 model years, but that was the old Ford. I'm hoping someone's going to start the "2018MY Refresh Photoshop" thread real soon :headbonk:

Sponsored

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Juvenile to you, aggressive to me. Each to their own, eh :thumbsup:

But 2020 for a refresh? That seems a long way off. Aren't Ford due to be refreshing every 3 years or so now? I know the first iteration of S197 lasted 5 model years, but that was the old Ford. I'm hoping someone's going to start the "2018MY Refresh Photoshop" thread real soon :headbonk:
Allow me to correct myself. It's both aggressive and juvenile.

Aggressive automotive designs tend to be juvenile. Name a post-Miura Lamborghini that wasn't designed for the developmentally arrested.

Aggressive elements are great, but without light to go with the shade, Camaros happen. I see the appeal and design intent of such cars, but would never spend my money on something that makes me appear to have the depraved attention needs of a fifteen-year old girl. And, yes, to each their own. Even the taste-challenged and attention-starved have opinions and money. God knows that marketing departments have that one figured out!

Cars in specialty segments tend to have longer model cycles, as it takes longer to pay off the R&D, and fund/justify the next iteration. If it sells huge, we can expect that cycle to shorten. I would love to see a 1965-style response to the new car, but these times are different... 2020 is my prediction. 2018 would allow only three model years of revenue, and very little time for design after proper market research time...

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
First refresh maybe next year depending on sales.
BEYOND LAUGHABLE! Invest in a redesign after one year? I take it you're joking. If not, you're a dullard.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
BEYOND LAUGHABLE! Invest in a redesign after one year? I take it you're joking. If not, you're a dullard.
To be fair Honda did a refresh on the Civic after a poor reception and I believe Chevy did the same with a Malibu.

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
To be fair Honda did a refresh on the Civic after a poor reception and I believe Chevy did the same with a Malibu.
That is true--both were horrible mis-reads of the market. Both offered less than the outgoing car, and there was no question about where Honda skimped on material quality, nor how GM flubbed the downsizing/drivability/interior of the Malibu. They both scrambled to get an update within 18 months, doing what should have been done in the first place. Well, in the Malibu's case, it was a band-aid update of a piss-poor redesign.

I don't think that's the case here. Ford stepped up on this one.
Sponsored