Sponsored

Car and Driver Camaro SS Long Term Test Review

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Uhhhhh....thanks? For what it's worth, nobody on this forum really gives two poops about the topic.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
sasuketr, how is that 2018 ZL1, have you taken it to the track? Very curious to know how well it performs.

MagGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
alright so I have a question. Im not one for consipracy theories or what have you but those numbers look extra funky.

Let me explain.

I took a look at the data sheet and saw the incredible and posted times for the camaro. I was pretty impressed. but it just looked weird. So then I took a look at the corvettes numbers and they looked awful familiar.

here is the corvettes:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...14-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual.pdf

and here is the camaro:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...er2016chevroletcamarossltinitialtestsheet.pdf

Now you're telling me that the camaro is as fast or even faster in a straight line than a car that has

1. 10 more horsepower and torque
  2. Bigger, and much better tires
  3. and almost 500!! lbs lighter

that doesnt make sense. yes i know they are using the same engine but the camaro is much heavier, and does not have 285 pilot super sports on the back. this is the Z51 corvette we are talking about. they have identical times almost through that list. and thats manual vs manual!

Can anyone explain?

also side note, if i were a corvette owner i would be pissed as all hell that a car that is about $20,000 less is as fast as mine from the same company! thats like a regular mustang gt having the voodoo engine! yes its great for us guys but thats the whole point of a premium product, you can get it better.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Thanks for posting this, however this should be in the General Automotive section down below.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
alright so I have a question. Im not one for consipracy theories or what have you but those numbers look extra funky.

Let me explain.

I took a look at the data sheet and saw the incredible and posted times for the camaro. I was pretty impressed. but it just looked weird. So then I took a look at the corvettes numbers and they looked awful familiar.

here is the corvettes:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...14-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual.pdf

and here is the camaro:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...er2016chevroletcamarossltinitialtestsheet.pdf

Now you're telling me that the camaro is as fast or even faster in a straight line than a car that has

that doesnt make sense. yes i know they are using the same engine but the camaro is much heavier, and does not have 285 pilot super sports on the back. this is the Z51 corvette we are talking about. they have identical times almost through that list. and thats manual vs manual!

Can anyone explain?

also side note, if i were a corvette owner i would be pissed as all hell that a car that is about $20,000 less is as fast as mine from the same company! thats like a regular mustang gt having the voodoo engine! yes its great for us guys but thats the whole point of a premium product, you can get it better.
Something is fishy here. 4.0 to 60 for the SS is awfully fast. Ringer Camaro?

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
Funny how C&D are sayin 12.3 at 118 in the m6, faster then anyone on camaro6 and almost 4 mph higher then any m6 timeslip. 118 matches the highest mph of the bolton cars also.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

Let me explain.

here is the corvettes:

and here is the camaro:

Can anyone explain?

Different driver, different day, different road conditions. Im glad the times being compared are manuals. manual vs auto these days is pointless. 10 years ago that wouldnt be the case.
For a track car its a no brainer, I would still take the vette even though i dont care for the plastic look.

Honestly, if the test was done same day w/ same driver I would bet the Corvette is faster, has a braking advantage too. Lighter=better!

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Different driver, different day, different road conditions. Im glad the times being compared are manuals. manual vs auto these days is pointless. 10 years ago that wouldnt be the case.
For a track car its a no brainer, I would still take the vette even though i dont care for the plastic look.

Honestly, if the test was done same day w/ same driver I would bet the Corvette is faster, has a braking advantage too. Lighter=better!
Drop the mic on em!

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Looks like those in the comments section of the article are the same bench racing chevy fanbois that we have constantly trolling here :lol:

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP

Let me explain.

here is the corvettes:

and here is the camaro:

Can anyone explain?

I assume you already know this but the Z51 is there for those who want a great handling sports car without breaking the bank. I'm sure the Chevrolet folks are happy the SS provides comparable performance at a lower cost. If you want to assure you're driving the ultimate Corvette you order the Z06 with the Z07 package for around $120k. An SS owner will need to spend some serious cash to compete with it. Ford is going to sell a Focus (RS) that is going to embarrass some Mustang owners soon, and wait till the tuners get hold of it:eyebulge:

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt

Let me explain.

here is the corvettes:

and here is the camaro:

Can anyone explain?

i have always said Garbage Motors sent out RINGER camaros and thats why they have those great times.thats the Gigantic Mistake for you.:tsk::tsk:

MagGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto

I would understand that arguement if it was a different magazine. But it was the same source. Pretty much meaning that it was the best driver they could get, trying to get the best time after probably many attempts.

Also, they have all the weather and driving conditions listed there on the right side. even better, they have the corrections listed as well meaning the data on those sheets is already tuned to the best track and road conditions. So, all those tests are done with corrections and everything in the equation, so the arguement for different day, driver and whatever is taken out with the corrections they use

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I race in Atco's magical negative DA all the time. The best trap speed I've seen out of my friends bone stock M6SS has been 116. That was in early April in negative DA.:shrug:If there's a faster place to run a car in the straight line in the country. I'm not aware of it. He's also managed 12.5 with a 2.0 sixty. So I can see a 12.3 with a perfect launch but that magazines 118 trap speed would have to be seen to be believed!
Sponsored