Sponsored

Rear gear noise after bmr cradle lock out and steeda black differential bushings inst

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
So I installed bmr cradle lock out on my vert without the red metal very pieces because they won't fit due to sub frame bracing along with steeda black differential bushings.

With top down things are fine. Top up around 40mph plus I hear a loud whirring from the rear almost positive is the rear differential...

Im thinking of removing the rear black bushings and installing red and leave front bushings black. Fronts were a bitch because I had to drop the entire rear cradle to get to them.

Any issues if I do this and do you think it will quiet the howling? I get this is the price we pay for performance bUT I want to keep my car refined. It just doesn't feel refined to me sounding like this.

The reason I installed this in the first place is because I noticed my dss drive shaft somehow rubbed on my e brake bolt and I wanted to put a stop to that.
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Leave it as is, and deal with the whirring.

I say this, knowing your current and future power and goals.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leave it as is, and deal with the whirring.

I say this, knowing your current and future power and goals.
Kelly I need to meet up with you when you get some free time. Maybe the vert transfers the noise more than a coup. I just hate the howl. Try to ignore it but hard to. It is definitely better since installing the royal purple differentisl fluid that's for sure. But still pretty loud

Sam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It is the differential bushings that are transferring the gear noise from the differential to the chassis. I've done all of my rear mods 1 at a time so that I could observe any changes and understand which mod caused them. I don't know how Steeda can call this mod one that causes no increase in NVH. And I agree, the noise sucks for a street driven car, and mine is not a daily driver. I took the read poly dif mounts out and left the fronts in and the noise is way less and what I feel is at an acceptable level. You can take the rears out without dropping the subframe if you use an open end wrench rather that a socket for the last ~1/2 of the bolt removal. I left the fronts poly bushing in as opposed to the rears since most of the movement under power is at the front of the dif, not the rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the differential bushings that are transferring the gear noise from the differential to the chassis. I've done all of my rear mods 1 at a time so that I could observe any changes and understand which mod caused them. I don't know how Steeda can call this mod one that causes no increase in NVH. And I agree, the noise sucks for a street driven car, and mine is not a daily driver. I took the read poly dif mounts out and left the fronts in and the noise is way less and what I feel is at an acceptable level. You can take the rears out without dropping the subframe if you use an open end wrench rather that a socket for the last ~1/2 of the bolt removal. I left the fronts poly bushing in as opposed to the rears since most of the movement under power is at the front of the dif, not the rear.
I'm going to try this. Thanks!

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I love the whine, I can actually fell the car working and know when the throttle is working!!

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Whine = win!

Mine actually got quieter, not sure what that indicates. I'm using the BMR BK054 kit with billet inserts, I think they're billet?

fifteen5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6
op [MENTION=17037]doodguy[/MENTION] have you noticed a thud/thunk sound after the inserts ?

Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
op [MENTION=17037]doodguy[/MENTION] have you noticed a thud/thunk sound after the inserts ?
I had a pretty loud clunk when loading or unloading the driveline. I traced it back to the front Steeda inserts.

I had to back the torque off of the short bolts that hold the insert in so the end was not touching end of the bolt from the other side the holds the diff. If you've installed them this should make sense.

I've thought about pulling the diff bolts (since they are easier to get out) and gluing a small piece of rubber or derlin to the end of it so the bolts can't touch.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I had a pretty loud clunk when loading or unloading the driveline. I traced it back to the front Steeda inserts.

I had to back the torque off of the short bolts that hold the insert in so the end was not touching end of the bolt from the other side the holds the diff. If you've installed them this should make sense.

I've thought about pulling the diff bolts (since they are easier to get out) and gluing a small piece of rubber or derlin to the end of it so the bolts can't touch.

This clunk you had did it only happen on hard downshifts when you did not rev match perfectly?

After a track day my car now has a clunk/click noise that is only when downshifting or pulling off harsh. I can replicate the issue by pulling forward and then selecting reverse to load and unload the driveline.

Maybe it is these bolts causing me same issue?

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
This clunk you had did it only happen on hard downshifts when you did not rev match perfectly?

After a track day my car now has a clunk/click noise that is only when downshifting or pulling off harsh. I can replicate the issue by pulling forward and then selecting reverse to load and unload the driveline.

Maybe it is these bolts causing me same issue?
Yeah it was any time the drive train was transiting from loaded to unloaded or the other way around.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Yeah it was any time the drive train was transiting from loaded to unloaded or the other way around.
Yeah mine is not everytime, only aggressive down shifting or when pulling off hard. Sounds like a loud clunk/clank when loaded, here is a video:

[ame]

[ame]

It happens towards the end of both videos. :)
Sponsored