Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I remember reading another thread somewhere but could not find it regarding stock plugs being pulled and finding the gaps have increased over time. I have had some random issues lately regarding ping, timing being pulled and my methanol pumping but STFTs not increasing under load like they should. All of which circle around the issue of knock and hesitation under WOT.

I decided to pull my plugs and do an injector service (that was due anyway). I had about 14K miles on these Denso ITV22 from Tune+ purchased may of 2016. what I found was all four plugs had their gaps increased significantly and some were from either the ground pole looking like it had a little cutout or just worn away from the spark, to just plane gap increase.

Cyl #1 .033
Cyl #2 .035
Cyl #3 .035
Cyl #4 .039

The plugs were Denso ITV22 from Tune+ that were pre-gapped to like .026 to .028 I believe.

This of course was the cause of the excessive knock, mpg loss and timing corrections that also affected the operation of my methanol setup as the system kept pulling timing and reducing fueling due to knock not the methanol and it was reducing fuel even more than expected but since timing was being pulled there were no gains from the wmi.

I have since put in NGK LTR7IX-11s gapped to .028 and now everything is fine.

Anyone else experience this and was it to this level? Maybe Adam can chime in on this...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had exactly the same issue with IVT22's.
After 6k miles, they all opened to at least .030 to .032
They all looked perfectly clean, just opened up.
I just replaced them and check them every 5k.

35380225890_abd686646f_k.jpg
20170330_135703 by chefjpd, on Flickr

Last edited:

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
5.0yote, this is a known issue. Adam advertises that his plugs he sells pregapped now are gapped twice. not sure of the method but apparently the memory in the metal pushes it back to what they ship as over time. I have done the same to my plugs. I gapped them myself to near as possible .028 then checked about 2000 miles later with them all out and then regapped them. once i regapped them the second time they have stayed the same. I am at 7000 miles now and checked gap recently and they are still 0.028. Hope this helps

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
It's good practice to check the gap every 10k miles (every other oil change) with these cars. The gap seems to grow on them all but it's much more prominent on Densos. I've never been much of a fan of the Densos.

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
5.0yote, this is a known issue. Adam advertises that his plugs he sells pregapped now are gapped twice. not sure of the method but apparently the memory in the metal pushes it back to what they ship as over time. I have done the same to my plugs. I gapped them myself to near as possible .028 then checked about 2000 miles later with them all out and then regapped them. once i regapped them the second time they have stayed the same. I am at 7000 miles now and checked gap recently and they are still 0.028. Hope this helps
Thing is the Denso's are shipped .028 on the dot. I have seen 2 packs now all exactly .028

Sponsored

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
It's good practice to check the gap every 10k miles (every other oil change) with these cars. The gap seems to grow on them all but it's much more prominent on Densos. I've never been much of a fan of the Densos.
Could be a weaker grounding arm over ngk? First I've heard of this issue. Have much experience with the Brisk plugs? Seems all brands have equal shares of positive and negative reviews

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Could be a weaker grounding arm over ngk? First I've heard of this issue. Have much experience with the Brisk plugs? Seems all brands have equal shares of positive and negative reviews
I've ran the Brisk for a long time now and would choose them over every other option currently on the market. I've tried several sets of Densos over the years and they've always worn noticeably faster than NGK or Brisk and seem to have gapping issues worse than the other two. If you go back and search my history, you'll see this isn't the first time I've mentioned this stuff, lol. I'd always say to stick with NGK or Brisk and stay one range colder unless you're making some sauce at 600+ whp.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well i best go check mine and install the NGKs i've got....

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
This is why spark plugs need to be replaced and or regapped, the electrode wears down over time, this is a completely normal thing that happens to all spark plugs.

OP
OP
5.0yote

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I figured all this they have only been in just over 10K I checked the gap prior to installation just to ensure the gap regardless I know Adam pre-gapped them and they were .028 on the nose when they went in, just a nearly .040 is a lot to see, two of the plugs were wearing the ground pole had a little carve out adding to those gaps and the other two were just out of spec.

My plugs looked a like the pic above, pretty clean which is a good sign, just that gap issue. I usually check my gap every 3rd oil change guess it will be every other now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I had exactly the same issue with IVT22's.
After 6k miles, they all opened to at least .030 to .032
They all looked perfectly clean, just opened up.
I just replaced them and check them every 5k.

35380225890_abd686646f_k.jpg
20170330_135703 by chefjpd, on Flickr
Looking at your pictures,

I didn't realize our plugs had the little thin "point" in the middle (at the end of the central electrode). Looks like one of them eroded away on yours (the one on the right in your pic, which I'm assuming is the #4 plug). I've had terrible luck with this type of plug, as that point tends to erode away over time in at least one cylinder...:doh:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Anyone tried Bosch plugs? They used to be my go to brand...curious about how people's experience with the iridium plugs in the ecoboost 2.3 has been. (Those have worked well for me in other cars where platinum plugs have eroded).

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Believe I have atleast 8-10k on my plugs(denso) going to replace them and take pics to see where they’re at.
Sponsored