Thinking about a weighted shifter

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Thinking about buying a weighted shifter in excess of 600 grams

http://www.raceseng.com/ashiko-texture-build-your-own

if anyone has one of these in a climate that has real seasons can you report on any temp issues with the textured finish?

Being made of a hunk of metal means it will be prone to temperature swings and so I was wondering if anyone here had come up with a good way to insulate a billet shift knob or similiar. I am tempted to try Sugru and leather on a junk knob to see if it is worth using. any better ideas or vendors i should try??

---if only the MGW gripper knobs would go over 600grams
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in New York, have had 450g plus stainless shifters in my last 3 cars.
Temperatures range here from 10 degrees up to 95 degrees.
Not once have I had the shifter too hot or too cold for use.
Then again, being a chef, maybe my hands are desensitized to temperature?

OP
OP

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I had a 2008 Bullitt and the metal shifter knob could get hot enough to burn even in Indiana (tinted windows helped ) and the winters sucked as well. Its more about comfort as I drive about 10-15 mins to work most of the time and whatever the ambient temp is the shifter knob will be and stays for the duration of that short drive...like holding an ice cube in the winter. Im down with starting with a metal knob just thought maybe a DIY guru might have a better idea than using a compound like Sugru and some leather to cap it off with.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Raceseng makes other models that have an outer sleeve of delrin which resists extreme temperatures.

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
The coatings on Anarchy Motive knobs do a pretty good job of insulating. I have a transparent blue AM knob, and I've never had an issue with it burning my hand or freezing it. Gripping, the feel is softer than machined billet due to the clearcoat. The weights are in your desired range as well, great for shift feel.

I don't think you can beat the value of AM considering truly custom engraving and the wide range of coatings. Only downside is wait time.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Back in the day I had a Hurst T handle that was aluminum. It was very hot/cold depending on the season. Once it turned dark gray from hand sweat you could not touch it in July/August. Took it off.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Have a 500g shift knob on my other car, coated wrinkle red. Never had a problem with it being too hot or too cold, even after hours of it being in the sun. Bought mine from Flossy Shift Knobs, good quality piece and the coating felt very nice. I think the heaviest they offer is 595g. Depending on how you want it done it can take a while to get shipped out though.

OP
OP

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
just ordered a knob ~800 grams and under 90 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262958034492

will update with a picture if I can manage to leather wrap it.
If anyone likes that knob just ask them to match a mustang thread size and they will

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Bumping this because I'm thinking about replacing my Ford Racing knob with a weighted unit, but haven't had a good experience with metal knobs. Any other knobs besides the ones mentioned above?

M-7213-M8-2T.jpg

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Bumping this because I'm thinking about replacing my Ford Racing knob with a weighted unit, but haven't had a good experience with metal knobs. Any other knobs besides the ones mentioned above?
I'm curious too. I had an Anarchy Motive knob that was great. Loved the weight of it. It just got too hot every time I parked it in the summer. It even got too cold for me in the winter, and I live in California.
Sponsored