Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
::::::
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Yes, agree the rear looks better without that ridiculous wing. The quad exhausts is the best bit about the look of the 18.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Anyway, I'm firmly in the "meh" camp. The front is different, not clearly better or worse. Unless you look at it through a soda straw, the car is still clearly an S550 Mustang. Nobody who is not a "car guy" and even some of those will not even spot the difference.
I don't think the problem is about what other people think of your car, the problem is that if you don't like the front (Which you guys are all downplaying how important the front of the car's looks are...), it's going to definitely be annoying to have to look at every day. I personally think the front is a step away from where I would like it to go, but the upgrades alone would be worth it for me to take it over a 15-17, if I was buying a new car. For those who absolutely hate the front end, I can totally see why they wouldn't want to take it and instead will wait and see how the S650 turns out.

With that being said, I have no doubt in my mind that there are also definitely 15-17 owners who are overplaying the looks of the car because they want to feel like they have a better Mustang.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
As I have stated before the Butt-Hurt runs deep in this thread.
Thats the line people trot out when they have no real argument or discussion left. I have no dog in the fight either way, but that front end is horrible.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
:doh:

Try again... the engine in the 2018 is all new.
Which probably means that its testing has been under more carefully controlled conditions than what the 2018's earliest buyers are going to subject it to.

Norm

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I keep coming back to look at the 2018 hoping my eyes/tastes have changed, but it's not happening. It's just an ugly front end. I've really enjoyed my 2015 so far, it's disappointing that the 2018 is completely off the table considering every other change they made are changes I wanted them to make. Oh well. 10 more months of my GT then on to something else.

:headbonk:

Where is this false sentiment coming from? Iā€™m seeing it in multiple threads on here and it couldnā€™t be further from the truth. When the S550 was revealed in 2013 it received overwhelmingly positive feedback on this forum.

Comparing the ā€œofficialā€ 2018 refresh poll results to the two 2015 poll results they are not at all similar.
2018 -- 45% like it -- 26% dislike it -- 29% on the fence
2015 -- 80% love it -- 4% hate it -- 16% on the fence
2015 -- 64% love it -- 31% like it -- 5% hate it

This very community gave the 2015 a >92% positive/<8% negative reception compared to the 2018ā€™s <45% positive/>25% negative (letā€™s be honest >47% negativeā€¦ if you have to see it in person you donā€™t like it.) So, where is this similar dislike/negative reception for the 2015's that you're referring to?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7395
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7587
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74320
One thing about that poll that you have to remember is this forum existed entirely for the 6th gen Mustang. So everyone that was hanging out here back in 2013-2015 were the diehards that were chomping at the bit for every spy shot, etc. Those types of people are more inclined to like the new product, whatever it may look like, and that's what you see in that poll. If you go onto other Mustang forums that cater to Mustangs older than 2015, you'd probably find a lot of old hate threads there. Heck, even my old YouTube video talking about the 2015 Mustang when it first came out had mostly negative comments about the design, most referencing the Fusion similarities and things like that.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
One thing about that poll that you have to remember is this forum existed entirely for the 6th gen Mustang. So everyone that was hanging out here back in 2013-2015 were the diehards that were chomping at the bit for every spy shot, etc. Those types of people are more inclined to like the new product, whatever it may look like, and that's what you see in that poll. If you go onto other Mustang forums that cater to Mustangs older than 2015, you'd probably find a lot of old hate threads there. Heck, even my old YouTube video talking about the 2015 Mustang when it first came out had mostly negative comments about the design, most referencing the Fusion similarities and things like that.
This is so true. I signed up to allfordmustangs in 2014 to follow their s550 sub-forum. The majority of the posts towards the s550 were pretty negative - To this day, I still remember it got to the point where I couldn't believe I was on a mustang forum and not a camaro fourm. No idea if things have changed their since.

No doubt in this forum there has been more hate for the '18 front end than there was for the '15 s550, but there are also a lot more members here now than there was in the beginnings.

Plus, trying to compare polls with a sample size as small (75 and 127) as the ones in the first two polls (and, as you mention, polled against the die hard s550 guys) and with completely different poll answer selections is not really going to get you where you need to be when trying definitively prove one thing over another.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I just think it's funny that going back to the "old" standard of new model year being released in the fall is now "late". Next model years kept creeping earlier and earlier until it was almost a joke. So this is a little reset, and not a huge one. Unless somebody has some insider knowledge that this was not the original date, or there was some sort of problem that forced a slide to the right I don't think there is much value in speculating about a deeper meaning. The exact date could be due to numerous variables and could have been set in stone years ago. We just don't know, so I think it is unreasonable to characterize it as "late" or rushed or anything else. Don't get me wrong, it might be, but that's pure speculation.

Now if in September it is announced that production won't start until November, that would indicate a change from something we already know.
I think the issue is more with the month/time of year. Releasing a sports car in November (and not a AWD) and where most of the county is already experience bad/winter weather is just a bad move in terms of common sense (maybe not production wise though).

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think the issue is more with the month/time of year. Releasing a sports car in November (and not a AWD) and where most of the county is already experience bad/winter weather is just a bad move in terms of common sense (maybe not production wise though).
Yea, I guess there is no fundamental reason to tie the model year to the calendar year, but that's more or less how it's been done for a very long time. And 2017s are available now, and 2018s will still be available May 2018.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
2010 to 2011 was a 100hp difference. 50 doesn't seem crazy?
It was a new engine though. This is just a revision. The reason I say 485 is unlikely is because Ford doesn't NEED 485. They need to bump it a bit to make it more appealing to current S550 owners for an upgrade because they won't have the most powerful stock GT anymore, and because Ford needs to keep the GT competitive with the competition in the same class (SS and Challenger's base V8). They outsell the hell out of their competitors already so they don't necessarily need to make a car faster than those competitors --it just needs to be right up there with the others so there's no complete winner in the horsepower/performance war. People who want the fastest car will make it faster regardless of the start point, as long as that starting point is already close. If the GT was only 300hp and the others were 400+, it would be less attractive from a performance standpoint. The consumer would have to spend considerably more money just to get even with the stock competition.

If they run it up to 485 unnecessarily (presuming that's possible with the Coyote naturally aspirated), they've now played all their cards. It's like when a new phone comes out and has one-upped the competition just a hair..they could two-up the competition if they wanted to, but why do that when all they need is a slight edge to attract buyers. They save it for the next revision. Plus you gotta leave some in the tank for the aftermarket parts, tuners, etc.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a new engine though. This is just a revision. The reason I say 485 is unlikely is because Ford doesn't NEED 485. They need to bump it a bit to make it more appealing to current S550 owners for an upgrade because they won't have the most powerful stock GT anymore, and because Ford needs to keep the GT competitive with the competition in the same class (SS and Challenger's base V8). They outsell the hell out of their competitors already so they don't necessarily need to make a car faster than those competitors --it just needs to be right up there with the others so there's no complete winner in the horsepower/performance war. People who want the fastest car will make it faster regardless of the start point, as long as that starting point is already close. If the GT was only 300hp and the others were 400+, it would be less attractive from a performance standpoint. The consumer would have to spend considerably more money just to get even with the stock competition.

If they run it up to 485 unnecessarily (presuming that's possible with the Coyote naturally aspirated), they've now played all their cards. It's like when a new phone comes out and has one-upped the competition just a hair..they could two-up the competition if they wanted to, but why do that when all they need is a slight edge to attract buyers. They save it for the next revision. Plus you gotta leave some in the tank for the aftermarket parts, tuners, etc.
Completely logical. My bet is somewhere in between stock Camaro SS (455) and a Challenger R/T (475). My guess ~465.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I keep coming back to look at the 2018 hoping my eyes/tastes have changed, but it's not happening. It's just an ugly front end. I've really enjoyed my 2015 so far, it's disappointing that the 2018 is completely off the table considering every other change they made are changes I wanted them to make. Oh well. 10 more months of my GT then on to something else.

:headbonk:

Where is this false sentiment coming from? Iā€™m seeing it in multiple threads on here and it couldnā€™t be further from the truth. When the S550 was revealed in 2013 it received overwhelmingly positive feedback on this forum.

Comparing the ā€œofficialā€ 2018 refresh poll results to the two 2015 poll results they are not at all similar.
2018 -- 45% like it -- 26% dislike it -- 29% on the fence
2015 -- 80% love it -- 4% hate it -- 16% on the fence
2015 -- 64% love it -- 31% like it -- 5% hate it

This very community gave the 2015 a >92% positive/<8% negative reception compared to the 2018ā€™s <45% positive/>25% negative (letā€™s be honest >47% negativeā€¦ if you have to see it in person you donā€™t like it.) So, where is this similar dislike/negative reception for the 2015's that you're referring to?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7395
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7587
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74320
This data is not relevant since there is an obvious bias over the course of the existence of this forum. If you found data on a 5th gen mustang forum from 2013 or whenever the current S550 design was released showing that favorable of a response, then you might be onto something.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
This data is not relevant since there is an obvious bias over the course of the existence of this forum. If you found data on a 5th gen mustang forum from 2013 or whenever the current S550 design was released showing that favorable of a response, then you might be onto something.
The first two surveys are from 2013...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first two surveys are from 2013...
Yep, and the first poll was from Aug 13, way before the unveiling and is apparently based on camouflage pictures. I guess everyone was just that psyched to get an IRS after 50 years.
Sponsored