Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Does anyone else have an issue with 1st and 2nd gear with this shifter? I have a pretty hard time trying to get into 1st taking off from a stop light or stop sign then going into 2nd smoothly. I just had this installed last Friday so it is very new and not sure if maybe it needs time to smooth out or not (hopefully not). Not sure if I can fiddle around with anything to help in this situation but any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Does anyone else have an issue with 1st and 2nd gear with this shifter? I have a pretty hard time trying to get into 1st taking off from a stop light or stop sign then going into 2nd smoothly. I just had this installed last Friday so it is very new and not sure if maybe it needs time to smooth out or not (hopefully not). Not sure if I can fiddle around with anything to help in this situation but any advice would be appreciated.
I removed the tension springs all together to ease up the shifting. Some people like firmer shifts which the springs provide.
pm your contact info if you have any further questions.
Steeda Tech

SIMS1724

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS Ingot Silver
I had one issue when installing this weekend- I broke off one of the two studs when tightening down the nut that holds the shifter mount in place underneath the console. Does anyone have an easy solution to this besides taking everything apart again and drilling out the broken bolt? See below for a pics.
broken off stud pic.JPG
good stud pic.JPG

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Today I found my Steeda lockout collar had come loose, started to rattle a few days ago.
The 3 Allen screws had started to come out, so I re centered the collar and re tightened the screws with the addition of a dab of nail varnish on each..hopefully they will stay put.
I also changed the O ring to a slightly thicker one and applied some white lithium grease to the shaft.
now it does not rattle, operates smoothly and positive.

The only issue I have is with my after market gear knob, the thread on the shifter needs to be about 6-8 mm longer as at the moment I have only about 5 turns on
and a good amount of locktite.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I'm having this exact same issue. Installed this weekend, going to try and figure out this week. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the springs completely or replace them with the softer springs included in the kit.

Best Regards,

TJ

Sargonnas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I just ran into the same issue with 1st and 2nd. Going into 1st and 2nd has never felt great with this shifter, but it was possible. Yesterday I noticed it getting increasingly difficult to get it into those gears. Today, there was one point at which I was unable to get it in and was holding up traffic, so had to move out in 3rd. I had to start VERY forcefully pulling the shifter with both hands over to get it into 1st or 2nd. The shifter also feels incredibly sloppy when in neutral. I just installed this thing less than a month ago. I'll also say that the shift knob not tightening down is pissing me off.. is it that hard to make the threads shorter or something so it can tighten all the way down? Tons of blue locktite immediately broke loose.. I guess Ill have to try red locktite next. If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy the shift knob I want for the rest of the car/shifters life and JB weld that shit on.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just ran into the same issue with 1st and 2nd. Going into 1st and 2nd has never felt great with this shifter, but it was possible. Yesterday I noticed it getting increasingly difficult to get it into those gears. Today, there was one point at which I was unable to get it in and was holding up traffic, so had to move out in 3rd. I had to start VERY forcefully pulling the shifter with both hands over to get it into 1st or 2nd. The shifter also feels incredibly sloppy when in neutral. I just installed this thing less than a month ago. I'll also say that the shift knob not tightening down is pissing me off.. is it that hard to make the threads shorter or something so it can tighten all the way down? Tons of blue locktite immediately broke loose.. I guess Ill have to try red locktite next. If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy the shift knob I want for the rest of the car/shifters life and JB weld that shit on.
Hello,

Please look at 16 & 17 in the instructions:

16. Install the supplied rubber chord into the threaded hole in the factory shift knob. Figure 29

17. Screw the factory shift knob down onto the Steeda lever. Tighten down firmly until your shift knob aligns with the reverse lockout collar properly. Make sure not to over tighten this piece as the plastic shift pattern emblem in the stock knob can pop out.

This is done so you can use any shifter knob you want. If we made the threads on the lever to fit perfectly for the stock knob, which is easy, it wouldn’t fit aftermarket shift knobs and there are a lot of them. So we had to adjust our thread length and give you the ability to put it exactly where you want it.

As far as the shifter “getting worse”. The only time it does that is when something is loosening up. Take a look at your install and you can also remove the heavier spring & put the lighter one in ... or not use one at all.

Keep us updated as you move forward.

TJ

Sargonnas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I installed the rubber piece, and made absolute certain it was all the way in. After putting a lot of downward pressure onto the knob, I was able to get it to thread on, but does nothing but spin. It never tightens. I have to be very careful shifting so that the knob doesn't spin and my hand doesn't slip off, and constantly have to turn it to get it in position to lift the reverse lockout.

I'm going to take it all apart when I get home, at least as far as I can through the center console, since I'm 1500 miles away from the lift I used to install it. Currently I'm using the softer of the two springs, but I can try no springs. Not sure how that would help though.. its not like it takes slightly more force to get it over.. I actually have to use two hands to get enough force in it to move it over far enough to get into 1st/2nd.

Thanks for the quick reply.. I'll see whats up as soon as I get home.

Hello,

Please look at 16 & 17 in the instructions:

16. Install the supplied rubber chord into the threaded hole in the factory shift knob. Figure 29

17. Screw the factory shift knob down onto the Steeda lever. Tighten down firmly until your shift knob aligns with the reverse lockout collar properly. Make sure not to over tighten this piece as the plastic shift pattern emblem in the stock knob can pop out.

This is done so you can use any shifter knob you want. If we made the threads on the lever to fit perfectly for the stock knob, which is easy, it wouldn’t fit aftermarket shift knobs and there are a lot of them. So we had to adjust our thread length and give you the ability to put it exactly where you want it.

As far as the shifter “getting worse”. The only time it does that is when something is loosening up. Take a look at your install and you can also remove the heavier spring & put the lighter one in ... or not use one at all.

Keep us updated as you move forward.

TJ

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I had the same problems with 1st to 2nd and from neutral to 1st. Removed the springs. Shifter works now.

Sponsored

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Issue I had with 1st/2nd solved with just some driving. After a week, all gears shift smoothly and crsiply. I'm running the softer spring and it's now perfect. I also had some NVH (probably from running LTH's), and that has dissipated as well. Thinking everything needed to just settle in. Going to put some dynamat in the tunnel next time it's in the air.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stay tuned for the feature article!

Best Regards,

TJ

divpreet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Divpreet
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2017 GT Manual Australia spec
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda tri ax issues :-(

I got the steeda tri ax shifter. After installation i ve found a lot of problems with the shifter.

Firstly there is a lot of lateral movement in the whole linkage assembly making it near impossible to select first gear. In any gear there is excessive lateral movement in the selector. There is lateral movement where the alloy arm locates in the main housing and there is around 8mm lateral movement where the arm locates on top of the gearbox.
There is excessive lateral movement where the original selector shaft sits in steeda housing and bushings.
In the 30 minutes I drove after installation I could get into 1st or 2nd gear just 2-3 times.
Please see the video. Should give you an idea about the issues I am talking about.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have alerted our tech team and they will email you their recommendations.

Thank you for posting and we’ll get you situated ASAP.

TJ

Cdshivers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Performance Pkg
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all! I know this is an old thread and not sure if I'll hear back, but can anyone who's installed this shifter give me feedback on the NVH they've encountered after?

I'm OK with some NVH considering the mod, I just want to know I'm supposed to be hearing what I'm hearing, if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored