Sponsored

New 2015 Mustang Dimensions

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
1978-Ford-Mustang-King-Cobra.jpg

Exact measurements will have to wait until I get to my drafting table... but here are the measurements of the 2015 as I see them (while sitting in an airport and with a large printout and a borrowed ruler).

Wheelbase 107.1" (2013" 107.1) (this is just an evolved S197, after all)
front rotors: 14: (2013: 14")
rear rotors: 12.4" (2013: 11.8")
wheel diameter: 20" (2013: 19")
length: 175.5" (2013: 188.1")

And the worst measurement of all, confirming my fears that this is indeed the new Camaro: the height from the window sill to the point where the curve of the window stops: 11.25" (2013: 13.75"). Meaning awful visibility (as you can see with the driver above). Wearing a helmet is going to be awful in this car, same as it is in the current miserable Camaro (for anybody past 14 years of age). It's the Camaro concept-car looks that grabbed so many buyers; Ford is just copying that "look" here.

Assumptions: I worked with the brake rotors first, and working from there every other measurement fell exactly into place. Also, this image is slightly askew, so there are additional inaccuracies introduced there. And the camo confuses the length a bit.
Note the ATS 4-door is 182" in length, wheelbase 109.3, so a 2-door version of that aka 2016 Camaro would be a bit shorter. I think the competition is coming into sync.
The tire height would be tough but I would believe it's all but the same as the 2013 19" because that's what we saw on the mules and getting the height right would be critical for testing the new suspension. But, generally, I think these measurements are pretty close. Remember that massive wheels and tires don't make for a handling car, they increase weight and mass and reduce suspension travel. Suspension geometry is what counts, and at least in the back we finally have that with the IRS.
This can be shot full of holes... but it's simple method and no doubt the engineers over at Camaro land and Charger land have already done it exactly.

So we have a shorter car, as predicted. Weight should drop proportionately. Interestingly, we have bigger wheels (heavier, more mass = really dumb) but the same size rotors (less mass = better). Apparently the 14" front rotors are good enough. Good to see the back rotors increase in size - that suggests there is a better weight balance than the current car (the engine is in the same exact place up front, so the weight balance must have balanced out a tiny bit better with the new suspension in back). I remain disappointed that there aren't more serious brakes in back - with in-drum parking brakes and 4-piston calipers. Ford has cheapened out the rear brakes on these for years.

I expect there will be holes in my quick measurements. But in six months and three weeks, at the earliest, we'll know for sure IF Ford brings a prototype or production-based showcar to the Detroit show. As opposed to the Thunderbird (DEW-98)-based "Mustang GT" showcars for the 2005s (showing a far better car than we got in the end)!
2015mustang.jpg
Sponsored

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
I can't imagine anything exciting but smaller version of s197 under that camo, with different front and rear bumper.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
S550 is NOT an evolved S197. Get that out of your head.

Maestro5.0

I can't imagine anything exciting but smaller version of s197 under that camo, with different front and rear bumper.
That's what the camo is there to make you believe. Do a web search different mules/prototypes. It's amazing how bad they can make a beautiful car with all that camo and padding.

Regarding the visibility, the actual window sill is being obscured under all that camo and should be sitting much lower than it appears. Look at the position of the side mirrors. The real sill line should be well below it but the prototype has the camo pulled up a few inches above. Take a look at the current one. One thing that DOES look like possibly worse visibility is the increased rake of the roof. Comparing the two....

attachment.jpg

Vickstang

This pic is great for getting a preview of how sleek the greenhouse is gonna be IMO. It does look like the windows may be smaller, which will give the car an overall sportier look.

Sponsored

CoyoteMan

Yes definitely more curvature to the greenhouse. Hopefuly that doesn't affect visibility too much.

BoostedSVT

I'm curious about this too.

OP, where are you getting this ridiculous notion that the S550 is just an evolution of the current chassis?

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Regarding the visibility, the actual window sill is being obscured under all that camo
It's not. If you look at the pictures of the inside of the car, the sill line and the camo line are one and the same.

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Who cares about the window being shorter?

If you want great visibility, buy a minivan.

Every single sports car has a low roofline and slimmer windows.

I'll trade visibility for a lower, more aerodynamic, more attractive car any day.

Sponsored

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Ford has done a great job camouflaging the rear quarter windows to look like the "Dorito" rears of the S197 cars. Renders and rumor have mentioned the windows are now connected, reminiscent of the 99-04 and prior generations. Until the camo starts to fall off, we won't know.

I'd personally love to see Ford make a "running pony" wrap for camo for the S550 cars. I think it'd play well and generate some buzz leading up to the reveal.

mrkrabz

Threads
Reaction score
S550 is NOT an evolved S197. Get that out of your head.
It kind of is. A Ford employee even confirmed this. He said that when he saw it, if he wasn't told that it was the 2015, he would have assumed that it was just a heavily modified 2013.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
It kind of is. A Ford employee even confirmed this. He said that when he saw it, if he wasn't told that it was the 2015, he would have assumed that it was just a heavily modified 2013.

I'm not claiming to believe or know its one way or another.... but that has what to do with the actual platform underneath?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd personally love to see Ford make a "running pony" wrap for camo for the S550 cars. I think it'd play well and generate some buzz leading up to the reveal.
Well, Jaguar did that with the F-type, although that was at the "crazy wrap" time, rather than the heavy cladding camo :)

I guess you mean in terms of looks, rather than underpinnings?

Vickstang

You're talking about the looks of the car. We are discussing the chassis and platform of the car.
Sponsored